Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Prawn Trawler "MADONNA"  (Read 17952 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Prawn Trawler "MADONNA"
« on: August 25, 2013, 06:47:12 am »

Hi there , the photo's I will be putting up are of a 50' trawler that was based in our home port of Brunswick heads N.S.W Aust, back in the 60's to early 70's. The original vessel was built by K.F.Barlow's Boat Building Yard in Ballina  N.S.W, Iv'e never been able to obtain the plans for her, so with a few photo's of her (and bit of memory  {:-{ )I drew plans up trying to get as close as I could .
The first photo is getting set up, the next of the stern section (I couldn't put the shaft and rudder stock in at this stage as I didnt have them) next photo cutting the frames out with a jigsaw (all my model gear Band saw ,sanders etc are back in my home town of Byron Bay, staying near Cairns N.QLD at present, so have had to purchase few cramps etc to be able to do this build ).next showing the shape of all the frames, then frames in position, and the last is fairing the frames ( so no highs and lows) before starting the planking......
Brian  B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Prawn Trawler "MADONNA"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 08:03:24 am »

BB....that brings back an interesting name....."K.F.Barlow's Boat Building Yard in Ballina" ...it was on the river on the town side behind the Pub......about 30 years ago I considered [with a colleague] a 1/2 share in purchasing the business which included the slipway & associated slipway work etc
I got cold feet as it was TOO good to be true  :o ....... my colleague purchased the yard & from memory a few years later went broke  <:( .......... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:41:37 am »

Hi Derek   you probably did the right thing as the slipway part of it had fallen into disrepair not enough business with the decline in boats and as you would know all the rules and regulations (like eveything in our lovely country a nanny state ) can't even dredge the build up of silt in any slipways ,to many greenies and do gooders these days,they ended up filling the slipway section in, the people who eventually bought it built the Chanderely section of it up and then moved out to the Industrial area in larger premices retaining the Barlow name ....
Brian  B

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:02:24 am »

HI BB
LOOKS great
subscribed  :-))
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 09:37:12 am »

BB.....the name Mike Swift ...may answer some questions.........I think Mike relocated from the river to the industrial park .....over the river further up & to the left ...when driving north  O0  ..
Last I knew....Mike was working for SANTOS...........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:36:29 am »

This is gonna be good!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:14:23 pm »

Thanks Bob and  Martin I hope the Forum enjoys viewing it.... :-) ......
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:40:04 am »

Hi back again, I forgot to mention the model is 1:16 scale   3/4"=1' giving her a length of 37  1/2".
1st photo shows the hollow heal and deadwood section with the garbad planks attached, letting the 2nd and 3rd plank take a natural curve around the frames and slightly up, then further back on those 2 planks cutting a slot in the bottom of each plank away to nothing at the ends, to allow for the stealer plank to fill this area, same at the bow with these planks,(this is how we plank the Real deal), next photo of S.b side with one of the stealer planks ready to be fitted, notice the shape of the front of the plank, (we normally attach a butt block on the inside of the hull in between the ribs), but on the model I have it fixed to the frame (easier to glue). I just use super glue, have done for years never had any troubles with it, except when I have glued my finger or fingers, then you break out in a cold sweat while trying to twist it around trying to get unstuck  :embarrassed: . The bow photo shows sections of planking around her belly and along the main deck level, I then average each plank out between each section to be filled, so that each plank will be wider around the middle section of the model , and the bow and stern ends of the planks will be tapered, that way you won't end up with any feathered end planks (running away to nothing or wedge shape).
Next photo shows last plank being attached in to fill the original gap I had,last photo is of the hull 3/4 planked, taking shape....( well back to the shed)...
Brian  B

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 12:27:50 am »

Lookin' great  :-))  I'll be watchin' this one.

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 01:54:13 am »

Great build, BB :-)) 

As a matter of interest, one of our club members, who was one of the founders, and original president of the club, is Peter Barlow. He's a member of the family that ran the slipway for many years, and worked there for a while as a young lad. Another club member also worked at the slipway for several years.

Keep the photos coming O0

Peter.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 09:36:06 am »

Hi there Peter, I had seen some of Peter's models in the local paper over the years ,I was told by someone ? that he was from a diferent Barlow family , thanks for that info now I know he is related to Kieth Barlow.
When you first welcomed me to Mayhem Peter I said I would make contact with you when I got back ( to the best area on the coast) I haven't made it back there yet, would be good to meet up with you when I finally get back, cheers.......
Brian  B

missyd

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:09 am »

Superb craftmanship!!!!! :-))
Cheers
Danielle

All lost pictures of the N. Loredana ---> visit the following link:
https://nuovaloredana.imgur.com/all/
All pictures can be found on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/fvcorneliamarie
https://www.facebook.com/MpNuovaLoredana/

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 10:50:26 am »

Thanks guy's
the next photo's are starting to install the ribs in the bow section, then my cheap steamer, after steaming (half boiling half steaming) I would cramp them in position ,left them over night , then glued them into the hull, then a stern and bow view of the model.

Brian  B

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:21 am »

You're welcome any time, Brian. I've moved back to our farm at Wyrallah, but still go to every sail day when I'm home (we are in Hervey Bay at the moment) and, because I'm the model boat club president, I go to the monthly meetings at the Ballina RSL club.

The build is a credit to you O0  What sort of timber are you using?

Peter.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:03:46 am »

Hi Peter, thanks for that, sounds like you are away with your caravan, the planking and decking is all Lime wood I get it from Modellers-Shipyard and other bits and pieces from Float-a-Boat, and with the help and advice from Bob (Old Shrimper) the motor etc from Cornwall Model Boats, which is on its way (well I hope it is :-)) )........
Brian  B

hammer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 10:17:04 am »

This is proper modelling. Well done. :-)) 

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 11:16:01 am »

Hi there, some more photo's of the build (excuse any spelling mistakes as I haven't mastered hoe the Spell Check works :embarrassed: ) this is my second attempt to send this off, I lost it all so here go's again {:-{ . The first photo shows fillers between the ribs, and extra blocks (probably bit of an over kill) so as I have no void areas when drilling holes for the staunchon post pegs, then the Deck cover strip, which will have the holes for the staunchon post, I know you normally have a square staunchon hole but as of yet I haven't been able to find a square drill bit ;) , slowly the staunchon post being installed, because of the size of the post I have used tooth picks for the pegs ( when I have larger staunchon post I file the ends to a dowel shape which makes a stronger post)Once I have all the staunchons in position I attach the first bullwark plank with it's scuppers already shaped which strengthens it up, no worries of accidently breaking a post off, the last photo shows a space one of a few stealers which will go in so as you don't end up with planks flying high around the shoulder of the raise deck area, and being cut off with feathered edge planks ,then relying on the top sponson to hold it all together, sorry if Iv'e rambled on (will only send half the photos this time and the other half strait after ?????).....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:12 am »

Hi sending the other 5 photos to go with the previous print
Brian  B

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 11:23:26 am »

Hi there, some more photo's of the build (excuse any spelling mistakes as I haven't mastered hoe the Spell Check works :embarrassed: )

It's quite easy really.  When you click on spell chick it shows the letter with the mis-spelt word highlighted      {-)

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 11:33:13 am »

Hi Ken , I have the red line under the word Iv'e tried right clicking on it, like with my emails and it gives you the right spelling (is it suppose to do some thing like that????)
Brian  B

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 11:39:40 am »

Don't right click but choose to click the spell check box. It offers suggestions. You can choose to acceptor or ignore.  When all the spelling is correct it says so, then your ready to post.

Hope this helps

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 11:53:57 am »

Ok  I'll try that, thanks for that...
Brian  B

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 12:54:43 pm »

love the detail BB
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 10:07:24 pm »

Brian,

Do I detect a carpentry/wood background or is it that you have just dome this all before.

Looking good :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »

RAAArtyGunner ....it's also the speed of the build.....amazing  O0
But I reckon he must buy that horrid GLUE  >>:-( in 5 litre drums.........but couldn't see any evidence of it on the bench...........
One question BB....will you glass the hull externals & internals?........... %) Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.