Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragon Force 65 newbuild completed  (Read 24496 times)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dragon Force 65 newbuild completed
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2014, 12:01:18 am »

@Z750Jay:

Looking good!

By the way, none of us can sail into the wind  :}

I think when most of us start sailing we try to point the boat where we want to go (just like an electric powered boat or a car) and if "where we want to go" is directly upwind then we get nowhere - not only no forward motion but no steering either....

To go upwind, try sailing at 45 degrees to the wind, much easier, you sail farther but faster! If the sails are luffing (flapping) you are not getting any forward drive. With no water flow over the rudder you get no steering.

When tacking while travelling upwind, make sure you have a bit of speed up and then make the change of tack quickly. These lightweight little boats will stop very quickly.
Amateur at work...

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2014, 06:34:45 am »

Lol, that's wha I ment by upwind. I was fine most of the time while tacking but every so often tried to steer her like my tug. Only ran out of lake twice and both times it was not too much of a walk.
Also got to get my sence of where the wind is from and what 45' off the bow looks like from the lakeside.
Thanks for the advice :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 04:54:00 pm »

Lol, that's wha I ment by upwind. I was fine most of the time while tacking but every so often tried to steer her like my tug. Only ran out of lake twice and both times it was not too much of a walk.
Also got to get my sence of where the wind is from and what 45' off the bow looks like from the lakeside.
Thanks for the advice :-))
The trick is not in knowing where the wind is coming from where you are (easy), but knowing the direction where the boat is.  Angles as viewed from the bank look nothing like what is actually happening out on the water.  Its a continuing learning curve, which keeps it interesting.  I really must get one of these.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »

Learning to read the wind is one of the skills I am enjoying getting better at. How it is where you boat is, what it is like approaching it, what it is going to be where your boat will be and how it is going to affect your boat.
It's all the terms I hate. Being an ex Navy engineer, I used to annoy the deck apes by using the wrong terms and old habits are hard to break !

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 06:39:51 pm »

I bet the room on the ship you lived in had floor, walls and ceiling.
 :D :D
Slept in a bed And went to the bathroom :D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2014, 06:49:46 pm »

Yep, and now I work in the dockyard so still get to wind the sailor type with references to "the pointy bit" the blunt end, and any acronym that I can mangle :-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »

Now that is a step up the ladder of life  :-))

Stoker to Dockyard Matey %%

Ned

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 08:58:59 pm »

Ah but I was a MEM(L) one of the chosen!
But being ex RN and a Dockie I am self sustaining in tools

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2014, 07:02:13 am »

both mine and a friends servo tray has delaminated both had been varnished from new.the thing I cant understand why you can,t make one out of plasticard....rules state that it has to be original fitting...new version coming out with plastic servo tray....not interchangeable with wooden one...just my little gripe....lovely yacht..great fun..well pleased......tony

Si2

• Shipmate
  • life is great
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2014, 11:32:15 am »

The servo tray is a standard spare, in stock in a few places for under £3.

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2014, 03:45:24 pm »

Took the DF out for the forth time today, well really it's the third time as last Wednesday does not count as I only got 10 minutes sailing time until I chucked the Tx in the lake!
Had a great time with the Portsmouth Model Yacht Racing bunch and once one of them kindly sorted out my rig I stopped being last and started to get a bit competitive  %) . Strange how it's all nice and casual banter when everyone is strung out but all goes quite when we are concentrating on not fluffing it up.
Like I did .
A lot .
Still I am really glad I got talked into getting a DF and are looking forward to getting into the completion side.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2014, 05:17:34 pm »

Still I am really glad I got talked into getting a DF and are looking forward to getting into the completion side.
[/quote]

Yeah, they go much better when completed :D :D

Ned

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2014, 05:56:14 pm »

its going to be interesting when the next batch of boats start filtering through , there are a number of manufacturer upgrades , which will mean different replacement parts , which hopefully the improter is going to carry both old and new !
 good boat which not only intoroduces new blood into the hobby , but allows eveybody to compete from a level starting point .  the portsmouth fleet is around twenty boats , with a regular turn out of around ten skippers , come rain or shine
jon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2014, 06:22:55 pm »

If they are coming through with upgrades surely they should be allowed as a retrofit.
I varnished my servo tray and up to now its OK.
I would like to fit an abs one though.
One less problem.

Ned

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »

I think the main question is how much compatability between the first version and the new one. If the parts are not and the spare for the first version are discontinued then the rules will have to let you make your own replacements. It would be ok if it is just the  servo tray as all the rules would have to say is something like from plywood of a set thickness to a set pattern.
I know the switch has been moved inboard with a bit of wire to operate it. If they stop supplying the replacement rubber cover for the originals once again the rules can be changed to say a replacement can be used from this model of this manufacturer. I can not see them changing the rigging.
It's if the new hull gives a performance boost  that will be the main problem

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »

I think the main question is how much compatability between the first version and the new one. If the parts are not and the spare for the first version are discontinued then the rules will have to let you make your own replacements. It would be ok if it is just the  servo tray as all the rules would have to say is something like from plywood of a set thickness to a set pattern.
I know the switch has been moved inboard with a bit of wire to operate it. If they stop supplying the replacement rubber cover for the originals once again the rules can be changed to say a replacement can be used from this model of this manufacturer. I can not see them changing the rigging.
It's if the new hull gives a performance boost  that will be the main problem

Only working from pictures of the new version, but it seems that the new servo tray is actually two separate trays side by side. The mounting screw holes are different; this could be more of an issue than first expected if looking to fit the new trays in the previous hull. Issue with getting the centre 4 screws secure in the hull that is very thin at that point; also the rudder servo position has changed I believe, maybe requiring realignment of rudder link.

Re the power switch. There is no mention of the switch in the rules, however, part of rule A5 states:
The website www.dragonforce65.com includes a Hints & Tips section. These, or any other suggestions posted in the future, are deemed as permitted changes within these rules.

And on that page it says:
•Switch 1: Some of these are leaking - loosen screws & seal with sealant then re-tighten
•Switch 2: You may change the switch, but you must use a similar item that fits into the original location and uses the original cover.

The switch and boot are currently available as a spare part of course...

Amateur at work...

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2014, 07:54:34 am »

True, I think if my trays start delaminating I would just make some new out of ply. I think we all forget that the DF is designed to get us into RC yachts and how fun racing can be. The rules are designed to keep the boats cheap and competitive for all. Yesterday my straight out the box DF was able to compete and beat the guys who had the replacement sails and more experience (ok mainly it was due to them concentrating on each other and ignoring the newbie  :} ).
If anyone needs to win that bad they need to get squeeze extra performance out of the equipment beyond what is already there, then there is the big boys 'normal' RG65 with their carbon fibre hulls etc.

Mine yesterday was sailing like a brick and got lapped in the first two races until one of the experienced guys helped me set the rigging correctly. The result transformed the boat. I could actually race! Very closely as it turned out with just my inexperience and being a bit hesitant - I really must learn the rules of who gives way to whom. The only person I could not play with was the one who had a 'proper' RG65 with a carbon fibre hull etc but the experienced guys could give him a run for his money going up to the first maker - it was just the downwind leg that he just zoomed ahead.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2014, 08:11:16 am »

@Z750jay:
Nice to hear you got the DF running ok.

From my experiences with our radio sailing club the DF is a great leveler. Once you get the boat tuned for the conditions it is up to the skipper. I find the experienced skippers generally go well because they are confident with the rules, they make fewer mistakes and they can plan ahead to have the boat in the right place at the right time.

As a novice, I sometimes think I am going pretty well only to arrive at a mark at find I have to give way to one of the "old salts" who outsmarted me with a tack thirty metres back.

Sometime you watch where they sail and wonder why they are are going out in some odd direction - if in doubt, follow them if you can - it usually pays off.

Re racing DF against RG - we find that a DF is usually pretty much equal to an RG running on B rig. The RGs here usually dominate in light winds but they come back to the DFs when it starts to blow seriously. The standard (class legal) DF will not compete with a reasonable RG. However, racing DFs against each other always leads to close finishes and good fun.
Amateur at work...

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2014, 09:06:25 am »

It was interesting watching the others yesterday. We had light winds so no one was moving that fast so I had time to try to work out the rules and tactics. I think the only reason I got in the lead once was because I was prepared to get very close to the lake edge and risk stalling while they all tacked in the other direction and kept falling over themselves. I did note that once my rig was sorted, [size=78%]had got the hang of it and had started to be competitive that there was a lot more 'tactical' sailing going on but I am reading up on the rules so I don't get caught out again![/size]
[/size][size=78%]Later, once the rest of the crew had departed I was sailing alone trying to get the Rx batteries to die so I could see how the boat handles just before they do(had my rescue boat with me) and someone started to sail their RC yacht at the other end of the lake( Some sub 1m American thing). Sure enough within 5 minutes we were racing each other using the pedlows as the markers ( moving markers is fun). What is it that makes us race if there are two or more on the lake together even if we are not evenly matched [/size] %)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2014, 06:52:30 am »

What is it that makes us race if there are two or more on the lake together even if we are not evenly matched)

Same reason that dogs chase cars - because they can!  :-))
Amateur at work...

Si2

• Shipmate
  • life is great
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2014, 10:59:23 am »

I went to canoe lake on Sunday evening and because it was so amazingly clear I noticed that it is pretty shallow in places - do you have any issues with the DG with grounding out?
There seemed to be some hefty weed at the southern end too.
I am diligently selling off hobby stuff on ebay whilst waiting for the local shop to get one of the new DFs in.

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2014, 11:21:28 am »

No probs so far apart from snaging weed at the edge. Most of the time the major problem is the pedlows

Si2

• Shipmate
  • life is great
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2014, 11:24:49 am »

No probs so far apart from snaging weed at the edge. Most of the time the major problem is the pedlows

The sunshine brings them out...
At £7 a go I am surprised there's anyone on them!

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2014, 11:39:56 am »

On Sat morning we even had one of them wandering into our start markers as the women was too busy chatting on her phone

Z750Jay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »

Finally RCYachts have rig sets back in stock :}
Just ordered a B and C set plus some spares and a full set of sails from Cat Sails. Should arrive over the next week or so
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.