Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam drifter  (Read 1914 times)

Ricketrider

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Steam drifter
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:56 pm »

Hi,

I have a 68" long model of a steam drifter, it is named 'Doris' with the number YH70.  Although it represents a typical steam drifter from Great Yarmouth I cannot find any records of a YH70, I have found records of a boat named 'Doris' but this was a trawler built by Cochrane.  It looks quite similar to a batch of steam drifters built by Cochrane e.g City of Aberdeen, but it is not identical.

I cannot find any models, plans or kits of a similar size. Does anybody know anything about the history of this model or the design that the boat was built to?

It looks fantastic on the water and sails beautifully.  The quality of the build is a real credit to the original builder.

bw,

Alan
UK

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam drifter
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:22:00 pm »

Hello Alan and welcome to Mayhem.

That sure is a nice looking craft. I hope the members will be able to help you.   :-))

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:17:03 pm »

WELCOME--I bought a 48inch hull from a lad in the blackpool area and he supplied a set of drawing at £15.00 but at present i have not got his contact details but will try and find them--Charlie

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »

If it's a GRP ( fibre glass) hull then it's most probably built from a hull and now supplied by Models by Design called S T Alison.see here:   http://www.modelsbydesign.co.uk/model_boats.aspx

scroll down to the (almost) bottom of the page.

It wasn't a real trawler or drifter and originally supplied by a company called ABCO it was more a generic hull for what many Scottish drifters looked like............it is denoted Scottish because of it's counter stern whereas most English drifters had a reverse bulwark appearance such as the Drifter Formidable.

hope this helps.

neil

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:26:36 pm »

Look on e-bay and model boat hulls and there is a model of a Lowestoft drifter there the lads contact number is there he has drawing

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:40:03 am »

I had the pleasure of watching Alan sail his drifter on sunday last.  Very nice model.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.