Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: graupner 600 7.2v  (Read 1644 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
graupner 600 7.2v
« on: August 29, 2013, 09:09:07 am »

running graupner Wiesel with 3 graupner 600 7.2 v  supplied by 6V lead gel and 2 x speed controllers /  I believe these are OK up to 8.4v so would there be much gain in switching to some 8.4 packs Nimh ( preferred )  of which I already have some. If so what Pros/Cons benifits    not too technical please
thanks
Jay

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: graupner 600 7.2v
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:20:48 am »

Possibly fit either slightly smaller diameter props or shallower pitch ones.  What are your speed controllers as the current drain will rise quite a bit with the increase of only 2.4 volts?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:37:12 am »

Hi Mtronics  Viper 20A and 40A  but changing anything other than the batteries for me is a No Go area.I'm not looking for more speed more towards slightly better slow to fast range control.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 10:34:39 am »

Thats an almost 50% increase in voltage and therefore current - the resulting power applied to the motor will almost double.  Whether or not an increase in speed is wanted, its going to be there.  There might well be an improvement in low speed response because the ESC will be giving more powerful kicks to the motor which should start it turning earlier and maybe more reliably, but I suspect that it will not be huge.
Fortunately, Graupner have (had?) the reputation of solid products with generous safety margins built into their specifications, so as long as the loading is not excessive, the motors should handle it OK.
For the same amount of energy stored, NiMH are considerably lighter than SLA. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 03:34:41 pm »

OK tried with 2x 8.4's in parallell   does seem  abit smoother though water  too choppy to be sure .  sits and aan doesn't roll so much  with  weight being lower  so looks like the Nims win
Thanks to all for their input
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 21 queries.