Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Salcombe lifeboat  (Read 5012 times)

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
Salcombe lifeboat
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:55:45 pm »

I visited Salcombe last week and had the pleasure of looking over the Tamar lifeboat "Baltic Exchange III"
Many thanks to Andy for his hospitality. I was like a kid in a candy shop and got the pictures I needed and more. What an amazing boat. He also introduced me to a master model maker Malcolm Darch and I spent a couple of hours with him in his Salcombe studio. He made the models in the lifeboat station and makes commissions worldwide. He was in a different class to any model maker I've ever met. To experts like Neil (who I have the greatest respect for)  - call in and see him - he'll welcome you and entertain you with his many skills. What a fantastic day.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
Re: Salcombe lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:14:53 pm »

Hi Cabman, I wonder if it is possible to buy some photos from you that you took of the Tamar. I am building the Model Slipway Tamar & will build the Speedline one as well when I have enough data, I already have the Speedline kit but am very short of good details, Mick B.
Mick B.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:50 pm »

I visited Salcombe last week and had the pleasure of looking over the Tamar lifeboat "Baltic Exchange III"
Many thanks to Andy for his hospitality. I was like a kid in a candy shop and got the pictures I needed and more. What an amazing boat. He also introduced me to a master model maker Malcolm Darch and I spent a couple of hours with him in his Salcombe studio. He made the models in the lifeboat station and makes commissions worldwide. He was in a different class to any model maker I've ever met. To experts like Neil (who I have the greatest respect for)  - call in and see him - he'll welcome you and entertain you with his many skills. What a fantastic day.

Cabman........I talked to him many years ago when he had his upstairs studio down near the port at Salcome..when I look at his work I am a mere pimple on the bum of the elephant experience wise........
His work makes mine look like an 8 year old has knocked something up from fish boxes.

At the time.......august (I think) 1983 he was putting the finishing touches to a model called Mushulu which had been commissioned for a chap over in San Francisco Bay where the real ship lies.........I  cheekily asked him what he was charging them  to which he replied (1983) "oh! this one's fifteen thousand pounds....but it's taken me fifteen months to get to this.
A thousand pounds a month........at the time I was on around £650 a month as a teacher.............where did I go wrong.

he must be getting on though now............what was he building when you met him.......a great and unassuming guy who was ready to pass on the tricks of the trade.

remember him showing me that he was using HO OO railway tracking (single rail) cut into short lengths and crimped closer and embedded into the masts to allow the spars to slide up and down the masts when a pin head or rivet is put into the spar and slides down the slot in the rail....

a great idea that he was willing to pass on..............sadly I have never yet been able to incorporate it into my models of any kind........but the knowledge is still there for when I can, lol

as you say well worth seeking out.....but his work will blow your mind and make any modeller feel totally inadequate,  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 11:01:51 pm »

Hi Neil. He's reached the grand old age of 63 (2 yrs  younger than me so I will consider myself to be getting on a bit more! lol) He is building a frigate of Nelson's era. His previous job was an amazing model of the Minerva ( a similar sailing man of war) which was a six figure job. the model you mention was the Moshulu. He still works in the tiny upstairs studio in the port and which is adjacent to the new lifeboat shop and inshore station. Incidentally, the Minerva took about 7000hrs to complete - and it shows.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:55:10 pm »

..... <*<  & Neil says......."he must be getting on though now"....thanks Neil.... :o  Derek....[a 63{& a bit} convict stock to OZ]  >>:-(
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cabman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 12:04:07 am »

If you Google "Malcolm Darch" you'll see images of him but just below that is a title called "harbouring desires - how to spend it" which talks about the HMS Minerva model. It is modelling in a different league. This model took longer to build than the real ship! Probably cost more too. Absolutely awesome.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 09:55:40 am »

..... <*<  & Neil says......."he must be getting on though now"....thanks Neil.... :o  Derek....[a 63{& a bit} convict stock to OZ]  >>:-(

Oh! Derek.....sorry to have embarrassed and upset you. {-) {-) ...........thought he was much older than that....actually thought he would be in his eighties by now........

modelling sure does age you, lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:01 am »

%) ...it's OK Neil..........we convict stock have thick skins.......never embarrassed & never upset   :}
I did look at Mr Darch's WEB site & wondered where I went wrong............... {:-{ ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:53 am »

oops
vnkiw  :-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.