Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boatman's Nimitz in 1:144 scale  (Read 3312 times)

emlra

• Full Mayhemer
Boatman's Nimitz in 1:144 scale
« on: August 31, 2013, 05:57:26 pm »

Chris (Boatman) now unfortunately does not enjoy the benefits of internet communications but I thought that some of you may appreciate some clips/photos of his finished Nimitz that were taken recently at Gorleston Model Boat Club.
Best in show!
regards
Rex
PS some of the images open up to show a short video clip.

ttfn
Rex
Yer Tiz!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Boatman's Nimitz in 1:144 scale
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:58:14 pm »

HI all this was my carrier build what my friend rex  put on this forum for me an its USS NIMITZ CVN 68 in 1/144 scale an she took 7yrs to build with severall working features when I get sorted out on the bill front I hope to put some pics on of her on the wet stuff sailing as the carrier's seem to me to be a popular subject
chris
ps I was know then as boatman

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 12:17:13 am »

Getting used to the enormity of a large carrier  %)  ....many years ago, the USS Big E was anchored off the Northern shoreline in our Sydney harbor and just a little East of the harbor bridge

Pretty sure, the Enterprise was the forerunner for the Nimitz Class carrier 

Many gathered & departed in Work Boats from our Garden Island Naval Base .....a no-go waterway perimeter was set up  :police:  to keep unwanted's out

It didn't really matter as when approaching the vessel.......the closer you got, the higher the towering deck appeared above the water

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 11:57:39 am »

Getting used to the enormity of a large carrier  %)  ....many years ago, the USS Big E was anchored off the Northern shoreline in our Sydney harbor and just a little East of the harbor bridge

Pretty sure, the Enterprise was the forerunner for the Nimitz Class carrier 

Many gathered & departed in Work Boats from our Garden Island Naval Base .....a no-go waterway perimeter was set up  :police:  to keep unwanted's out

It didn't really matter as when approaching the vessel.......the closer you got, the higher the towering deck appeared above the water

Derek

HI Derek yes enterprise was the forunner for the Nimitz class as I understand it  an yes I think the deck level is about 70 ft about the water I have seen an videoed the JOHN  F KENNEDY CV67 when she came to Portsmouth  an she is not as big  as the BIG E or the NIMITZ they are mind blowing ships an if I could I would certainly build another as my Nimitz certainly drew the people to look at it at a model show. An some even came back two or three times to look at the model an strangely enough it was mostly women asking questions about the model as one
 even said  every time I look at the model I always see something different 
chris

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:12:57 pm »

Lovely model Chris, lots more pictures would certainly be appreciated! As you say, there is so much going on that everytime I look at the images I see another interesting detail.
Nige

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 11:58:21 am »

HI all this was my carrier build what my friend rex  put on this forum for me an its USS NIMITZ CVN 68 in 1/144 scale an she took 7yrs to build with severall working features when I get sorted out on the bill front I hope to put some pics on of her on the wet stuff sailing as the carrier's seem to me to be a popular subject
chris
ps I was know then as boatman

HI  Nige yes its  a lovely model an I really enjoyed scratch building her an I  hope to put some more pics on here of her sailing .But im only just back online after bein offline for 8 yrs or so because my pc got hacked an crashed an then I had to move house. So now with a new pc im back on line as I missed it so much but as I said at the top got some big bills comin up to pay an I have just found out you have to pay now for a image hostin so i'll have to look at one I can afford an hopefully then can post pics.I hope this works out as im now starting a new build of HMS TIGER  in 1/72 SCALE with the helicopter hangar bay on so it should be a unusal build bein  half battle cruiser an half helo carrier with 4 seakings on board an I am goin to try an fit some working features on her.But that's in the future  but I have just purchased the plans  on 6 sheets an boy is she big %% . An I cant wait to get started but due to size it will have to be built in the garage the hull anyway in warmer wheather  if it all works out that  is an then I can bring her indoors to build all the S/S an such as well as purchasing all the things I will need to build her so it all gonna take some time  :-) 
chris
anyway thanks for your intrest an I just hope things work out ok to post pics
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 23 queries.