Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thames lighters  (Read 32305 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Thames lighters
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »

Hello Stephen, 'blazer'
Sorry I was unable to reply to your question direct, again my computer skills are at times lacking. To answer your question regarding colour to topsides of 'Riverman', I have looked in my box of colours of which there are many and believe the colour used was either 149 or 105. I do hope that helps you. It is a good colour easy to apply and will cover the odd blemish although on your model I would doubt there are any blemishes. Good luck.
Still looking for help re Humber barges. Can anybody help with either a drawing or picture of the stern of one of these vessels out of the water. All of the pictures that I can find are showing the bow of the boat. I need to decide how to design the keel, skeg if there is one and the rudder. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards Chris g

Blazer

• Shipmate
Re: Thames lighters
« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2013, 10:54:44 am »

Hello Chris,

thanks for your answer. Yesterday i did the painting.
IŽll show some pictures later.

Theres is another question: how long should be the distance beetwen the tug and the barge?
Are there any rules?

Regards stephan

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2013, 11:07:34 am »

Still looking for help re Humber barges. Can anybody help with either a drawing or picture of the stern of one of these vessels out of the water. All of the pictures that I can find are showing the bow of the boat. I need to decide how to design the keel, skeg if there is one and the rudder. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Still desperate for information,  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{    :(( :(( :(( 
Hi Stephan sorry but could only guess at towing distance from photo's seen. I think possibly scale goes out of the window and it is down to what works on the lake. The old trial and error, without too much error. Make sure the towing vessel is well ballasted or the barge might end up deciding on the direction of travel.
Regards Chris G

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2013, 01:05:05 pm »

You could try this website anything is worth a try when you are desperate
humber-barges.co.uk
For more information on any aspect of Humber Barges please contact us on:

Telephone:
Christine Oatway, Managing Director: 0757 2847006 (24 hrs)
 David Lowe, Director: 07785 502478
 Gerald Whiteley, Director:                      01282 812456
Email:   
Humber Barges Ltd:
95 Denby Dale Road, Wakefield, WF2 8DJ
Regards
Skimmer Fan

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 01:58:04 pm »

Blazer

• Shipmate
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2013, 02:58:28 pm »

Hello,
here are two more pics of my barge.
Painting is nearly finished, some details are still missing.
Regards Stephan

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #106 on: October 01, 2013, 04:56:42 pm »

Well thanks fella's nearly but not quite and nobody gets the coconut!!!!! {-)
Skimmer Fan, I had seen this site which deals with the current business involving carrying on 200 ton plus barges but felt awkward phoning the M.D. and asking if she had a photo of one of her barges 'back view' and out of the water. having said that I am becoming desperate so who knows.
Lighterman, thanks again although the one shown on Apolloduck for sale is a dumb barge and I wish to have a prop and motor. Always thought this a strange name for a site selling boats!
Blazer, Stephan they look really good and I am sure you will have great fun setting up the towing, would love to be there for the 'maiden voyage'.
Never fail to be surprised and grateful for all of the help on offer from the members of M.B.M. Many thanks Chris G 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #107 on: October 01, 2013, 05:45:30 pm »

The Spider t is a Humber sloop with various websites
with lots of photos .Google Spider t and you will find a
photo showing the rudder and prop.
Sorry I can't post a link because I am out on the Humber
using my phone to post this.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: October 01, 2013, 06:02:01 pm »

Hi Chris,
 I have a new book by Malcolm Slater. called Humbersides Working Barges 2012-13.
ISBN No978-1-871392-50-0 lots of nice photos and on the back is a nice one out of the water after a refit in 1983.  where are you Chris as just up from our club at goole whers the Yorkshire waterways museum lots of info where.
                      Regards Howard.

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: October 01, 2013, 09:34:27 pm »

Model boats used to sell a set of plans "frank Jameson" (middle age memory loss) suffice to say I recall seeing one which was very like a tug I worked on that had been damaged when it was being built during the war and to save steel and time the after end had no "shape" and was close to a swim with a triangular bit where the stern tube came out. If you can find any pictures of a TID or one of Harris' hydroconic hulls you wont be far wrong with the shape for the after end of a Humber barge, they did have skeg's that were simple bars with a gudgeon for the rudder post to sit in.

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2013, 09:50:06 pm »

Hello Chris,

thanks for your answer. Yesterday i did the painting.
IŽll show some pictures later.

Theres is another question: how long should be the distance beetwen the tug and the barge?
Are there any rules?

Regards stephan
All depends on how much damage you fancy doing  :-))  Loaded craft' slack em back" so your wash gets away.. empty hold em up short so your wash goes under em and you will have em where you want them. light craft can be put into line with a handful on the telegraph. or a stop rope shorter than the tow rope  to one side to sheer them over one side or the other. I think it was common practice on the humber to tow on wires with the barge manned and being steered by a hand. we use a similar system on the Thames and surrounding waterways mainly up river and the canals.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2013, 09:57:26 pm »

Where do I start ? thanks for the responses.
Netleyned, Ned thanks for the information relating to the Spider T which seems a fantastic project, I think it is older than my visions of my model and I was thinking of a 'donkey' rather than those flappy things (sails). Curious about you replying from the Humber!
Howard, I live near Nottingham and perhaps a trip to the Yorkshire waterway museum would help, I will meantime check out Malcolm Slater book. Thanks for your interest and I will keep you all informed.
Lighterman, Interesting and I will check out Frank Jameson and the TID. My view is that the stern was a simple and cheap compromise and low tech by todays standards. Looking at some of the wonderful models in this 'blog' I can visualise what I should do. Shapely cut back stern, large rudder supported by a skeg and of course prop. Many thanks for all the ideas that you have helped me with since I started this project.
Best regards Chris G     

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »

Right thats the R&D out of the way.. over to the drawing office... then the lofting shed. order the steel... and GET ON WITH IT! this is no way to run a shipyard  :}

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2013, 10:41:13 am »

Ha Ha
You sound like my wife!!!! hav'nt you finished that little job yet?

Blazer

• Shipmate
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2013, 11:36:04 am »

Hi lighterman,
thanks for your answer regarding the towing-distance betwen the tugboat and the barge.
I will try with a ropelength of one length of the tug.
Than IŽll see how it works.
Regards Stephan

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2013, 01:23:36 pm »

looks good! Its when you ease up and you see your tow go from behind to alongside! unless you a current to round into consider your windage as a good way to slowdown or stop. Remember you have not got a gang of little deackhands to pick up the rope as you back up but you will find the best capstan is under the boat at the back , the Whimwham! Some of the finest towing done with models i have seen is the chaps at blue water much use of the gog rope and letting the weight of the tug do its job.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2013, 01:45:48 pm »

Love to hear your description of the events that give most of us the horrors and nightmares. The best capstan being under the boat is an understatement if ever I heard one and is often witnessed with boats manoeuvring in marina's. It is amazing the fun and games that a mooring line left un supervised can cause.

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »

Wait til you get a towrope go under the counter and watch the tug spin. another good one is where the towing hand has the tow rope up too short and jams it so you quarter yourself and start going in smaller circles  <*< . if you want to see  the outcome of getting quartered watch this:
http://youtu.be/QEfUblSDzww
or when a gog rope parts or is too slack.
http://youtu.be/TUJsPrySkKE
sods law says when you are not concentrating thats when it goes wrong!

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
: Thames lighters
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2013, 10:21:39 am »

Hello Howard
Well I have received my copy of Humberside barges 2012/2013 and yes great pictures and strangely one of the back end, unusual!
My plan is to get myself up to Goole next week and hopefully more info from the exhibits there. Meanwhile 'lighterman' I am still at R&D stage soon to be into production. When I get there cannot imagine what I will ballast a 36" barge with and who will lift it. I will think about fitting a Hiab on the back of the Mondeo, there's a thought.
The story continues. Chris G

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: : Thames lighters
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2013, 04:23:45 am »

1 Pint plastic milk cartons make for good ballast just fill up from the pond and load away! then when it's time to shove off just empty them out.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #120 on: October 20, 2013, 08:30:10 am »

Thanks for the tip and there was me thinking of submersible pumps and built in tanks. I still fancy the Hiab on the back of the Mondeo though.
Take care Chris G
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.