Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Moonsoon 900  (Read 19756 times)

romainpek

Re: Moonsoon 900
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

To make things clear, I like the Monsoon very much already and its hull is a beauty ! I just hope that Caiser can benefit from our suggestions to turn out a much better boat for roughly the same price.

As a bonus, as we live in Beijing, the shipping fee was very low (about 5 EUR / boat)

The painted sails belong to my brother's boat. Its name is "Huang Di". It means "Yellow Emperor".

It's a very simple and humble name  ;D

mulleted

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 03:05:38 pm »

I am keeping a list of mods as I go, and will be very interested to compare modifications with other monsoon owners.

Brief list so far;
a) Throw away that cotton/poly rigging and replace with braid fishing line.
b) Remove the spars (very thoughtfully screwed to mast - they must have known the spars were only decoration and would need removal) and replace with oval section c/f spars of correct proportions and positions.
c) Aluminium mast is very heavy and looks to be way over engineered, mine weighs 135g - holy cr@p! - currently testing aluminium 12mm dia x 1.6mm mast (105g - stiff but can be curved with stays) and tapered c/f 15mm x 1.5mm mast (80g - very bendy, will need an extra set of spars and more complex rigging but light and strong). Will also see how much weight I can get out of original mast by drilling out excess material.
d) Throw away hatch cover and replace with flush fitting hatch so it can be taped down and sealed properly.
e) 75mm x 5mm c/f bowsprit with mini-forestay to top spar to allow for mast curving.
f) Replace plastic chainplates with aluminium bar stock cut to shape.
g) Reinforce fin mount and strengthen deck under chainplates.
h) Remove boom gooseneck and vang and replace with ball-jointed adjustable parts to allow proper boom movement.
i) Move servos to alternate locations to hopefully spread sheets underdeck as far as possible.
j) Separate mainsail and foresail onto individual servos (channels too) and consider a pair of trimming micro servos to control any slack in the sheets.
k) Move chainplates to square out forces on the mast.
a) done
b) done, used tasmanian oak dowels, 4.5 x 135mm and 5.0 x 170mm, weighs similar
c) think I over-reacted to the weight of the mast! It is very nicely made, and I couldnt find an aluminium section any lighter - score 1 caiser  :-[ ;D
d) done, used 4mm plywood epoxy coated and painted size - 107 x 119mm - will refit top part of plastic hatch to plywood, should look the same but be water tight
e) on hold - will exclude from any official racing
f) tomorrow
g) see j)
h) overkill??
i) see j)
j) need to cut a foredeck hatch, gird the loins - were going in.
k) done

hopefully next weekend will see the first sea trial....keep you posted.

cheers,
Dave

romainpek

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 01:33:06 am »

Please, post a picture of the new spars (b) and hatch (d) !

mulleted

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 10:41:04 am »

Touch wood, my camera arrives on monday.
Stood the mast today, with bowsprit and new chainplates and  3 spars on the mast (got carried away... :-[... 2 was fine)...the more I look at the mast the more I love the sail groove....score caiser 2!
It is a pleasure to work with these hulls....I've worked with f/glass for a long time in the surf industry, the quality of these hulls is impressive!...score caiser 3!!
Painted the Surmount hull moroon with gun metal deck and chrome nose/fin/rudder/ballast....feelin top of the heap... :P...seems like its a white painted white gel-coat....lot of effort....score caiser 4!!! (paints really nice)
Undecided on the colour of the monsoon, maybe Electric blue with grey/black/siver flames??
Photos on monday..... ;D
Will keep you posted   ;D ;D
Dave.

romainpek

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 11:18:11 am »

Just a quick word that today my brother and I raced 2 Monsoon against each other.

The wind was perfect, almost stable and we enjoyed very much our boats.

We almost did not have problems. My brother broke a shroud (seems the speaders are very sharp, or the line very soft), my hatch rubber bands both broke before I could start (take some spare with you if you don't change the original fastening system) but surprisingly, the sheets did not tangle except on the decoration winches on deck (these must be REMOVED).

My brother boom was a bit stiff until he removed the boom vang (that is not functional anyway). Maybe a bit of oil at the gooseneck would help.

We spent a very, very, very good afternoon sailing. With today's wind (which was not too strong), the Monsoon 900 is my best boat (also my biggest).

I'll post pictures later.

romainpek

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 09:06:53 am »

I hope you'll enjoy  :)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 11:37:51 am »

The vang is not really a decoration - its job is to stop the boom lifting and thus altering the shape of the sail when let out.  The gooseneck arrangement provided will resist this lifting, but at the expense of friction, wear, and the possibility of damage.  The vang acts to spread the load.  If a non-adjustable vang is too stiff, you can try some lube, but I would try tweaking the adjustment of the sail fixings. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

bigH

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 12:33:37 pm »

Hey! I have been following this thread with interest as I am into sail (of all sorts) and I think that I would like to try one of these, SO guys, where from? how much? and all of the other silly questions that goes with it???????  thanks 
bigH

romainpek

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 01:30:43 pm »

The vang is not really a decoration - its job is to stop the boom lifting and thus altering the shape of the sail when let out.

I agree with you on that point, also the one I installed on my RG65 works, but this one is only for show as it is not adjustable and the carbon rod is not even glued to the "ball holders" at both ends.

In its "unmodified version straight from the factory", the Monsoon's Vang is for deco only.

SO guys, where from? how much? and all of the other silly questions that goes with it?

There is a long thread on RC - Groups : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677484

Caiser Jiang's website is here : http://www.rc-zone.cn/ and he has an online shop reachable from there.

romainpek

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 08:01:34 am »

Tiger from Shanghai came to sail with us on Saturday. The wind was too low but it was great to see 4 boats racing together.

Question to Tiger : what is the name of the device you spoke about, that plugs between the receiver and the servo, enabling adjustment of its throws ?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 01:23:13 pm »

Tiger from Shanghai came to sail with us on Saturday. The wind was too low but it was great to see 4 boats racing together.

Question to Tiger : what is the name of the device you spoke about, that plugs between the receiver and the servo, enabling adjustment of its throws ?

Hi Romain
It was good to get up to Beijing and go sailing. Thanks for your hospitality

Re your other Q
There is something called a servo stretcher to increase the throw, but I have seen something used to limit throw as well.
If you don't get an instant anwer here, post on the electrics thread.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

mulleted

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 12:01:19 am »

Please, post a picture of the new spars (b) and hatch (d) !
Sorry for the delay in replying  :-[ :-[  I have been snowed under lately and havent had any modelling time  :(
My camera has arrived, altho it was obviously designed for smarter people than me....
Appologies for photo quality, as I am yet to come to grips with digital photography.

romainpek

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 01:32:16 am »

Impressive Mulleted !

I don't know how you managed to glue your wooden spars on the aluminum mast  ???

I see you also added a bowsprit... to attach a forestay ? The way we sail here, this would be turned into a rostrum at the first buoy and lead to sinkings !  ;D

mulleted

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2007, 07:06:37 am »

I don't know how you managed to glue your wooden spars on the aluminum mast  ???
The mast was drilled with a 4.5mm bit then the spars were slid in and epoxyed. If I was to do it again I would not pre-drill (for rigging) the spars but have an adjustable end-piece on the spar to allow the width to be adjusted after installation. The mast is so stiff they are just for appearance, so should be plenty strong enough. The bowsprit is for a forestay and seems to change length daily.... ;D (its getting shorter as the weather gets colder   :-[ ::) ;D)

romainpek

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 10:34:48 am »

Impressive...

I just saw now how you attached your jib to the bowsprit... usually model boats jibs use a pivot point situated between 20 to 25% of the jib boom to help the jib open more easily, especially if going back wind. Do you think your jib pivot point is an amelioration ? Why ?

Personnally, I felt the Monsoon jib already had problems to open with low winds, so I moved the pivot point a bit back and I installed fish lead in the front of the jib boom in order to balance it better.

Basically, I did the opposite from you...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2007, 10:54:56 am »

On a full-size yacht a loose footed foresail is normal, and there is usually somebody there to set it properly.  On a remote control model, this is not usual.  If the fore has a boomed foot, it can be self tacking, but if the back end of boom can lift, the fore sail will change shape.  Common model practice is to have a tension line at the front edge to keep the leading edge straight, and a luff line to set the curve at the trailling edge.  If the pivot point is about 25% of the way back from the front, both of these lines do the job of the forestay, and the sail is a constant shape.  Having a separate forestay is only helpful if you want to re-rig by dropping different sails in.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

mulleted

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2007, 11:20:14 am »

Do you think your jib pivot point is an amelioration ? Why ?
No, I don't think the jib connection on my model is an improvement. I am trying to thread a path between a scale look and real world performance. The rigging (standing and otherwise) is still only on trial. I am anticipating changing the rigging to best compromise shelf style (most of its life will be display) and sailing pleasure.

Basically, I did the opposite from you...
Gentle way of saying I am wrong. Cheers  :-[ ;D ;D sadly my ignorance becomes most evident when I talk to others   ::) ;D
To further exacerbate the problem, I am neck deep in trying to set up a loose footed #1 with the idea of a spinnaker providing yet another distraction.
My craft (planes, boats, cars) will normally finish last in a race, one day that might bother me, just not today  ;)
I thrive on ideas and nothing provides ideas like failure and a nice display model.
Please don't be shy in criticising my mods as my knowledge is patchy to say the least.

Dave

mulleted

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 12:30:57 pm »

Having a separate forestay is only helpful if you want to re-rig by dropping different sails in.
I do want to change sails, however it in no way excuses my ignorance. Would you believe me if I said the forestay was to reduce tension on the sail while on display??  ;)

I was hoping to get her wet before posting any pictures so I could have sorted out these compromises away from your eagle eyes  ;D
The reality is most likely going to be two setups, one for sailing (jib-boom with model style pivot points) and one for display (loose footed #1 or poled out spinnaker).
Hopefully I can save some face with a test sail (if I have to photoshop it to look like a success will you notice  ::) 8))

Of all the mods I have (will) make the only ones that seem imperative initially are the spars (spreaders), the standing rigging and the hatch. The rest are to please my idiosyncrasy's.

cheers,
Dave

romainpek

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2007, 10:33:01 am »

Gentle way of saying I am wrong.

No hard feelings I hope !

Of all the mods I have (will) make the only ones that seem imperative initially are the spars (spreaders), the standing rigging and the hatch.

The Hatch ! Yes ! It has to be changed !
I took way too much water in the hull last saturday, despite the gentle wind...

My Great Hatch Idea is to glue magnetic strips on the hull and the existing hatch, to ensure at the same time a tight (waterproof ?) fitting and also get rid of these boring rubber bands.

However, today in B&Q, I could not find these magnet strips... or rather, I would have had to buy a whole veranda wall (priced at 170 EUR) to obtain the strips they use to close the mosquito net frame. Too expensive. They don't sell spare.

So in the meantime, I decided to buy a regular window insulation rubber strip. It cannot be worse than the original soft foam bands.

Also today, I ordered 2 more Monsoon for 2 friends from Caiser.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2007, 12:25:07 pm »

Also today, I ordered 2 more Monsoon for 2 friends from Caiser.

Careful, you may start a new class in Beijing  ;D

romainpek

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2007, 03:28:45 pm »

Did not you order 5 one meter boats for yourself in Shanghai ????

I'd like to see a picture by the way... why don't you start a new thread ?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2007, 10:43:22 am »

Did not you order 5 one meter boats for yourself in Shanghai ????

I'd like to see a picture by the way... why don't you start a new thread ?

Not all for me.
As soon as they arrive a thread will start.

Oh, and I got cidre  ;D 8) ;D from JiaLe4

romainpek

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2007, 11:30:04 am »

Oh, and I got cidre 

:D Great ! You'll be able to celebrate Bastille Day !

romainpek

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2007, 01:38:18 pm »

See, the insulation rubber strip I bought. Too wide, I split it in two.

Then I sticked it on the hull. Trial next week end.

romainpek

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2007, 08:56:14 am »

My brother's solution : can you see the hatch cover ? No, of course. But it's there.

He cut it out of a CD case, it's transparent. Then taped it on the hatch. Cool isn't it ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.