Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EBAY  (Read 10614 times)

Richtea

• Full Mayhemer
Re: biding on ebay
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 05:40:40 pm »

Always set yourself a limit on what you are bidding on and DON'T go over your estimate, that way you will not get into a bidding war and pay an inflated amount for your item.
Regards
Richard  :-))
SI VIS PACEM,
PARA BELLUM

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »

I only ever bid once.
I set my price and bid with 5 seconds or less to go.
I either win or lose.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 05:45:58 pm »

Richard you are dead right.
Is it what you want?
How much are you prepared to pay?
Is the seller 100% or at least 99.8%?
Put your bid on and walk away, if you don't get this one there will almost be another along soon. Don't get into a bidding war.

Happy New Year to All .   Chris G

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:17 pm »

Bob- basically thats my approach too. I've seen upwards of 30 bids on some items
a day before it ends, continually pushing up the price  -makes no sense for a buyer to do that
as I see it.
N

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:00 pm »

hi all im at the moment looking at buying something model boat related on ebay im biding away & keep getting out bid 'i know of automated bidding the thing is ive look at the bids &the guy who is out biding me all the time  ive looked on his bids  & he has 87  retracked  bids in the last 6months  doe's this sound like the guys building the value up of the item  & then retracking his bid  at the last moment???? has anyone had a simular  thing happern???

Yes , sounds like shill bidding, And like others here I tend to have a set price and that's that.. :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 06:16:57 pm »

I gave up on the bidding for items when a few years ago Ebay allowed the automated bidding. This system holds your top bid say £100 and then 'floods' the item with the bid prices until either you win it or anyone else with automated bidding outdoes you.

Its a totally unfair concept and alien to what an auction is about. Nowadays I only buy items that have the buy now button, I don't mind whether its a private seller or a business. If I want the item and I reckon the price is ok I buy it, gone are my days of placing a bid and sittting back with anticipation of have I or have I not won.

Also do not ever leave feed back. That system has been altered as well. You can only leave positive feedback nowadays. If you want to leave neutral or poor feedback the system will not allow it until you have made contact with the seller. Then ebay waits for a response from the seller and decides if your poor feedback is warranted. Of course this is loaded as well, do they want to upset a 'power' seller who is paying them megabucks for trading on there or upset you by not allowing your poor feedback? I guess you know which way they will go.

This is yet another way to tell shill bidders. You lose the bid, the winner has paid a few pound or many pounds more than you wanted to risk. Next day you get an email from the seller telling you the winner has backed out of the bid and no longer wants the item. They will let you have it at the winning bid price or a couple of pounds lower, but it will still be higher than your last bid. I had this once or twice over the years, its a classic way to tell somebody has been bidding up the price on their own items, don't fall for it.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 07:40:00 pm »

I only ever bid once.
I set my price and bid with 5 seconds or less to go.
I either win or lose.

Bob

exactly what I do, Bob.......can't understand people that bid from the start and then wonder why it skyrockets.......that's the way to invite false bids from the sellers mates.
neil.

Peter

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »

I agree with Bob, I place my maximum bid with seconds to go, then its either win or lose. If I lose, I didn't want to pay any more anyway, so nothing lost, and you can't get 'dragged into' a bidding war.
It has always worked for me.

Peter

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 07:48:07 pm »

I will sometimes stick a £1 bid on an item early on, this gets me on the list, then most often I will punch in my max bid at 30 seconds or less, if I then dont get it I have been outbid at my maximum.
no problem as I didnt want it more than that price.
Grendel

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 08:11:50 pm »

I've been lucky on eBay you get to know what things should go for.. too much back off.

As a seller  I don't shill or ghost run a honest auction as I said I've been lucky

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:54 pm »

If it's just between you and 'one other guy', you could always retract your last bid ('entered wrong amount') and see if he retracts his bid. If he does, report him to ebay as a "Shill bidder"!

Remember, bids can't be retracted 12 hours before the end of the auction.

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 12:54:48 pm »

Hmm.

I was the sole bidder on an item ending this afternoon.  I've just been outbid by an anonymous bidder who has only ever bid on items sold by my seller.

I shalln't be upping my bid.

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 01:50:54 pm »

I leave it to 9-10 seconds to go and it has proved successful most times

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 01:57:58 pm »

Yep, I sometimes leave it 'til the last minute.....and may have employed sniping tools on occasion.

However, it takes more organisation that I can rise to just now.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:12 pm »

Are you all saying that if I leave a bid "on the book" like a commission bid, I can be cheated out of a win and if so, how? I've been using eBay for years now, bought and sold cars, caravans and all manner of stuff and have never perceived a problem. Many commission bids have come in less than I bid. What exactly is the problem I seem to be missing?
Jerry.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »

Jerry,
I think 99% of the time there is no problem. But......

I bid the starting amount on an item.  I was the only bidder.

Later on, another bidder outbid me.  There had been no other interest until me and it was within a few hours of the end of the auction.

If you look at the details of the new bidder, they have only ever bid on items sold by this one seller - eBay tells you that much.  What are the odds of that?

I may be wrong, but to me it looks like somebody is trying to push my bid up using another login identity.....or getting a friend to do it.

I don't want to bid any more.......so I won't.

My suspicion is increased by the fact that the auction is "private". I.e. I'm not allowed to see what the other bidders have bought previously.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 03:54:59 pm »

I wanted to buy my daughter a 2 year old Fiat Seicento. Book price at the time £3000. I left a bid on the book of £2001 6hours before the auction end. It immediately registered £2000 from £500 so somebody must have left a bid of £1990. I won the auction at £2000. She kept the car for 4 years and sold it for £1000. Win win win?
Jerry.

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 11:25:20 am »

Why expose your "hand" early? Surely you want to buy at the lowest price?
Wait until within the last 30 seconds before placing your bid.
If someone is using a sniping tool bids will appear in the last few seconds

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 11:28:51 am »

... my memory isn't what it used to....... . something!    %)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 09:27:42 pm »

I doesn't matter if you bid early or late an item will make what it's going to make regardless of when you place your bid
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »

I dissagre
the highest bid at the last second is the only one that counts. I watch a boat go for record money . why because 2 PRATS kept out bidding each other with 7 days to go.They were desperate to be the one at the top
an Item starts at 99p. 1 persion bids ,but every one elese wait till the last few second there is a good chance the the item will make less than if, people keep on bidding on it from day one. early only drives up the price.
you see a boat worth £100 for 99p with 15 sec to go. most people will go form £30 to £60 bid so it might sell for £60 an early bidding battel drives the price up to say £95 with 15 sec to go there is a far chance it will go for £100+. I have seen this happen so many times

john

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 04:01:44 pm »

I have seen several instances of stupid bidding on ebay- I also play guitar and wanted a pedal switch for my amplifier, found one on the 'bay and bid a fiver. On its last day the thing spiralled out of control bids coming in and coming in, it eventually sold for £57+p&p utter madness. I bought one brand new from a shop in the midlands £31 %%   It seems people on ebay get into a bidding frenzy and don't see the wood for the trees.

Then on the other flip of the coin, I've bid on something and the price has got to £11 and stopped woohoo for me! Only for the seller to withdraw the item in the last minute. When I contacted them to ask why I got the answer it had sold on another auction site, yeah right! Nothing to do with it being a piece of equipment worth over £90

inertia

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 07:00:22 pm »

Just watching a well-used 2 channel Tx and Rx selling. The current bid is £31 which is £1 more than the new price. I'll be interested to see how much more it fetches.
Unlike the person who put in a Tx only, describing it as a 'system', at a tenner plus six P&P. When it failed to reach the reserve I offered a tenner, to include p&p. His reply was that he would be "happy to sell it to me at £16". I bet he would!
There really is nowt so queer as folk.
DM

BTW I think there's a double 'd' in 'bidding' - unless you're just hanging around a wee while..............

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »

There is another bidding type on e-bay ,the type who puts a watch on ,and an alert ,this kind of guy does this to a fine art ,ive, seen it then the countdown ,last 15 seconds are the sniper glory ,he does his bid ,gets the item ,and leaves fellas scratchin their heads .not a nice way to do it ,but all is fair in ###  ###,so it goes .its worth studying when you know the fellas form ,e-bay cant track them all. I follow a couple of guys and know what they go for ,its an art .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.