Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EBAY  (Read 10619 times)

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: biding on ebay
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 09:16:54 pm »

There is another bidding type on e-bay ,the type who puts a watch on ,and an alert ,this kind of guy does this to a fine art ,ive, seen it then the countdown ,last 15 seconds are the sniper glory ,he does his bid ,gets the item ,and leaves fellas scratchin their heads .not a nice way to do it ,but all is fair in ###  ###,so it goes .its worth studying when you know the fellas form ,e-bay cant track them all. I follow a couple of guys and know what they go for ,its an art .

I make no bones about, thats what i do...if an item is up for a week, im not going to tittle/tattle sporadically for that week, ill wait until the end, ill have my price ready to go in the final few seconds, if i win i win if i dont, im happy i went to what i was prepared to pay.

I dont understand your logic its not a nice way to do it.....ive only been ebaying for a year or so, and i know that going into the last minute... a bid of a couple of quid after a tittle tattle session is going to win nothing...

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:39 pm »

I make no bones about, thats what i do...if an item is up for a week, im not going to tittle/tattle sporadically for that week, ill wait until the end, ill have my price ready to go in the final few seconds, if i win i win if i don't, I'm happy i went to what i was prepared to pay.

I don't understand your logic its not a nice way to do it.....Ive only been ebaying for a year or so, and i know that going into the last minute... a bid of a couple of quid after a tittle tattle session is going to win nothing...

Me three, When all is said and done that method is the only effective way to bid on fleabay, O0 O0 O0
hence why it is made readily available by fleabay :-)) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2014, 10:04:51 pm »

I always feel bidding on an item early only helps to push the price upI use a sniping site to bid on ebay, I don't have the time to spend hours watching items, I see something I want to bid on, set my maximum price & don't have to worry about it after that. I win a surprising amount & at good prices. I never understood the attitude that it is wrong to bid at the last second, although I stand to be corrected on this.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2014, 11:23:21 pm »

Its an Auction site, Any Legal tactic is fair.. I sometimes put in an explority bid and then leave it until the very last seconds, think you can get it down to about 7-10 seconds  :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2014, 11:55:14 pm »

Its an Auction site, Any Legal tactic is fair.. I sometimes put in an explority bid and then leave it until the very last seconds, think you can get it down to about 7-10 seconds  :-))
English is a wonderful language.  Fair and legal are very largely different, like the difference between legal and legitimate.  Assisted late bidding is perfectly legal, and thus totally valid in a time limited contest.  Fairness has no place in there.  Timing of the last bid is top dog.  A live auction just carries on until the interested parties run out of nerve, desire, or money.
If I am looking for something to buy, not being an ebayer, I go for the "Buy it now" options.  If it is an attractive price, both I and the seller go away happy.  If not, I either look elsewhere or look for something else.
I don't know if ebay publish figures that show bidding patterns co-relating the time that auctions have to run with the arrival of bids.  Definite knowledge on the part of bidders would probably skew bidding patterns too much, no saying if this would muck up ebay's operation.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2014, 12:19:26 am »

there is no real loser in last second bidding.....only the one who has been tippy tappy bidding for a week, usually against a mutual tippy tapper...thinking they have out foxed one not realising the really determined ones wait in the wings,

in the last seconds the price can quadruple....not good for the tippy tapper, you dont win anything with number of bids..its the last bid what you really are prepared too pay....id imagine on auctions with no reserve etc up to 90% of winners wait until the last few seconds..

but then again some start with an almighty high bid....then tippy tappers, are bidding against automatic bids....dare say some may think thats unfair..lol

there are other auction sites....where a reserve has been met, the winning bid has to be clear for 10 minutes......that is real interesting, fair also highly annoying.....as ego's win over common sense...haha

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 12:41:36 am »

I like that " Tippy Tapper "   :-)) :-)) :-))

######

Fair or not, it is Ebay and that says it all really.. %% 

######

I often end Auctions to a bidder where I am pretty sure I will not get another bid, the price I set is the price I want. I always set my auctions to end after 4pm Saturday, so if I receive a bid say Monday to Wednesday I will end said auction in favour of the bidder, buyer gets it at a known price and a few days earlier than if I had left the Auction to run until the following Saturday, Reading the Ebay forums many would think this is wrong, personally I can not see a problem, so some may say it is not fair.but it is legal in Ebay land..
Being Charged 10% on all postage fees , Now that is not fair, but that is for another thread..

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:14 am »

The Longbuild has just given the reason for not waiting until the last minute to bid. I was waiting on an item only to find that the seller had removed the item and sold it early. When tackled about it he just said tough titty. Not a nice attitude and I hope he got less than I was willing to pay. Graham.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:22 am »

I buy a few rare non boat items. Things a lot of people have but don't realise are sought after and sell for more than when they were new, If the item is rare, buyers often email the seller and offer a fixed price to end the auction early. If the price at present is low and and the buyer is offering a £100 more than the current price to end it early , many buyers cave in for fear of only getting a few pound if they let the auction run. Or may be the item is still at 99p and clearly worth much more and the seller is worried they might get one bid at the last and they will have to sell at 99p.
So in these cases, I happily ramp up the price with 'Tippy Tapping' to a level where the seller sees there is some interest in his item and is less likely to end it early.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2014, 01:05:05 pm »

I buy a few rare non boat items. Things a lot of people have but don't realise are sought after and sell for more than when they were new, If the item is rare, buyers often email the seller and offer a fixed price to end the auction early. If the price at present is low and and the buyer is offering a £100 more than the current price to end it early , many buyers cave in for fear of only getting a few pound if they let the auction run. Or may be the item is still at 99p and clearly worth much more and the seller is worried they might get one bid at the last and they will have to sell at 99p.
So in these cases, I happily ramp up the price with 'Tippy Tapping' to a level where the seller sees there is some interest in his item and is less likely to end it early.

Great point, i have nothing against tippy tappers,
(the following is not aimed at anybody) its just if thats your tactic dont moan that someone watches right to the end and is prepared to high bid...whilst seemingly put no work into the process  :-) 

I recently sold some stuff for the first time....i had 700 views and 65 watchers......knowing how i play the game i was fairly confident the price would reach a decent amount....the tippy tappers had been slowly raising the amount, strangely in a kind of ironic bout of karma i didnt get a massive end bid  :(( <:( :-)  but 10 different tippy tappers out did each other

I found it quite interesting

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2014, 01:24:08 pm »

Great point, i have nothing against tippy tappers,
(the following is not aimed at anybody) its just if thats your tactic dont moan that someone watches right to the end and is prepared to high bid...whilst seemingly put no work into the process  :-) 

Oh if I really want something I 'Tippy Tap' and prime my sniping software for the last 5 seconds as well. :-)

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
Re: EBAY
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2014, 01:46:10 pm »

Another tactic i think some use

I think some have a few extra browser windows open with increased maximum bids, incase one fails, you physicaly cant retype a new amount in 7 seconds or so, but you can if you have the amount ready at the click of a button.

I dont use the above, but suspect i have lost out to it, by rechecking bid history i can see that it has happened....to me perfectly fair, beats the purpose of what im prepared to pay though..hmm unless i really want something ....meh happy with my tactics..hehe

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 01:48:02 pm »

I think some have a few extra browser windows open with increased maximum bids, incase one fails, you physicaly cant retype a new amount in 7 seconds or so, but you can if you have the amount ready at the click of a button.

oooh, Not used that one.. Might give that a go :}

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2014, 03:32:52 pm »

I dont use the above, but suspect i have lost out to it, by rechecking bid history i can see that it has happened....to me perfectly fair, beats the purpose of what im prepared to pay though..hmm unless i really want something ....meh happy with my tactics..hehe

Surely that just means you were prepared to pay the top price in the first place - why were you going to bid lower? Just to lose by a couple of quid?
In reality, just one window, just one bid of the maximum you would be prepared to pay and drop it as close to the end time as you think your broadband link will allow without missing it.  :-))

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2014, 04:01:56 pm »

in reality

people have a price in mind.....

for example a rare kit is available.....you know you are going to pay the guts of £ 300 for this.....all of a sudden the bidding goes a little bit crazy for the last 20 seconds....

you have a set amount of £ 350...you initially thought would seal the deal, is blown out of the water.....but i want that kit and im happy to have one more shot at £ 401 any more and that person is welcome to it..

you win because some elses automatic bid ( highest value was £ 400 ).....by re-assessing how much you want something or willing to pay in the final moments of an auction was the difference in winning what you wanted....

I know what you are saying why didnt i just have an outrageous high price to start with £ 700 for example.....well i wouldnt want to spend that much, there is the danger the seller has a friend who is schrill bidding...or had a change of mind and still gets his friend to outbid everyone as to keep the item.....( its crazy but happens )

In reality i know multiple windows goes on, it also makes sense people change their minds on what they want to pay in the heat of the battle.

This last moments of an auction are highly addictive to people and makes them do stupid things..just to win

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:51 pm »

my experience was I saw a model I fancied and because I was going to be at work I contacted the seller and asked if there was a buy it now price and was told no-- I would have been prepared to give anything up to £200 ---It sat at £50 for 7 day and lucky for me my work pattern shifted and I was home for the end of auction and got the model for £62

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2014, 05:48:47 pm »

I enjoy going to, and bidding for things at real live auctions, So I think the sniping software available to use on ebay should be banned. Graham.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »

I enjoy going to, and bidding for things at real live auctions, So I think the sniping software available to use on ebay should be banned. Graham.

Real live auctions are not timed and end on the dot but rather when the auctioneer thinks their will be no more bids. Sniping software Just means you don't need to be by your computer at the end of the auction, it doesn't do much else really.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2014, 06:33:17 pm »

Real live auctions are not timed and end on the dot but rather when the auctioneer thinks their will be no more bids. Sniping software Just means you don't need to be by your computer at the end of the auction, it doesn't do much else really.

And handy if you have a job/life away from the computer.  I use both methods equally
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 06:42:25 pm »

Sniping s/w: you are give someone else full control of your ebay account!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 07:13:37 pm »

I still go to an Auction house ,not local ,but the Ring of men go also if there are unusual / rare items ,before the Auction they discuss as to what they will bid up to , the Auctioner knows and will bounce bids off the wall ,that is fictional bidders because he has an idea the Ring is up to tricks , there is an art to this ,and when in the Know it can be quite profitable ,my interests are varied ,that the way that some do it is dirty .Ebay is a smaller version and you can do it from y,arm chair as some do with live Auctions ,its all Survival come what may ,with NO rules as a lot do ,,house clearances going to Auction are quite good and if you know the person who clears ,well you can make a killing and pay your way .

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 10:54:11 pm »

I often end Auctions to a bidder where I am pretty sure I will not get another bid, the price I set is the price I want. I always set my auctions to end after 4pm Saturday, so if I receive a bid say Monday to Wednesday I will end said auction in favour of the bidder, buyer gets it at a known price and a few days earlier than if I had left the Auction to run until the following Saturday,

Sounds to me like a cock-eyed way of doing a Buy-It-Now  {:-{

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2014, 11:47:26 pm »

Sounds to me like a cock-eyed way of doing a Buy-It-Now  {:-{

Not Really, I have to pay to list a B.I.N listing, I only list Items when it is free, I am not out to make a killing just enough to get the money back I had to pay for the mags and to fund any future purchases to complete my collection, I sell more off site than on Ebay..

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 08:39:57 am »

I'm surprised sellers are happy that Ebay allow sniping programs ( I've used them in the past) why?

Look at it this way, a sniping program puts in the lowest bid to beat any others. If an item has been posted all week and its only had a little interest, 10 people with sniping programs have them ready and primed for the last few seconds, the last one before time up gets it at say a fiver.

If this was just a time limited auction with no sniping allowed, people would see what others are bidding and have to offer genuine bids, the sale price realised could be a lot more than the fiver they got with bidders using sniper programs.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:57 am »

I'm surprised sellers are happy that Ebay allow sniping programs ( I've used them in the past) why?

Look at it this way, a sniping program puts in the lowest bid to beat any others. If an item has been posted all week and its only had a little interest, 10 people with sniping programs have them ready and primed for the last few seconds, the last one before time up gets it at say a fiver.

If this was just a time limited auction with no sniping allowed, people would see what others are bidding and have to offer genuine bids, the sale price realised could be a lot more than the fiver they got with bidders using sniper programs.

Leaving aside the matter of fair/moral/etc, ebay can't really distinguish between a 'live' bidder waiting for the last moment and a sniping program (which uses a real ebay login), so people just have to live with it.

Regarding bid sizes there is a lot of misunderstanding. The ebay system places any bid at the bid increment above the previous one. For example:
Item listed with start price 0.99, no bids. I decide I'll pay up to 10.00, so bid 10.00; item now shows 1 bid @0.99.
Tippy-tapper comes along and bids 5.00; the ebay system does some work and the item now shows 2 bids, one @5.00 and mine (still winning) @ 5.50 (assuming the minimum bid increment is 0.50).
Tippy-tapper thinks "Oh!" and bids 6.00. Item now shows 3 bids, one @5.00, one @ 6.00 and mine (still winning) @ 6.50.
If there are no more bids I get the item for 6.50, not the 10.00 I was prepared to go to, but someone could still push that up.
This is different from a normal auction where your bid is what you pay if you win.

Because of the previously mentioned problems of Tippy-taps and deliberate shill bidding, waiting till the last moment (ie. manual or automatic sniping) is a useful defence. But the same rules apply. For the example above:

Item listed with start price 0.99, no bids. I decide I'll pay up to 10.00, so set a snipe up for that; item still shows 0 bid @0.99.
Tippy-tapper comes along and bids 5.00; item shows 1 bid @ 0.99.
If there are no more bids in the interim, a few seconds before the end of the auction I or my sniping tool place my bid for 10.00; the ebay system does some work and the item now shows 2 bids, one @5.00 for the Tippy-tapper's max and mine (winning) @ 5.50. I get the item for 5.50.
If someone else has sniped for 15.00 max I will lose - my bid will show @ 10.00 and they will win the item @ 10.50.

So it doesn't matter how high you bid, you only ever pay the next lowest bid plus the increment. In the first example I could have bid 10,000.00 and would still have paid 6.50; BUT there would be a risk that tapping or shilling would have pushed it well past the 'reasonable' 10.00 mark.

In all cases you should decide how much you are prepared to pay before bidding at all. If you think 300.00 is right and bid that but when the bidding goes higher near the auction end and you think "Oooh, maybe 400.00 then" you are succumbing to auction fever which is why we see used stuff selling for more than the current new price. Automated sniping helps avoid that 'addiction' to winning.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.