Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle Steamer Waverley  (Read 2107 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Paddle Steamer Waverley
« on: September 14, 2013, 03:04:19 pm »

Went off for a few days sailing last week.  Anchored off the beach in Swanage on Thursday (12th September) we watched the Waverley coming and going from the end of Swanage pier.  There appeared to be no shortage of folk wanting to go for a trip on a real, genuine paddle steamer!  Here she is reversing away from the pier, decks jam packed.

The next day (Friday 13th!  We aren't superstitious and had a very happy sail!) we were coming up the Solent and saw her coming the other way.  Presumably she had been somewhere (Southampton?) for refuelling or similar.  Or do her scheduled trips include into and out of the Solent?  This is a video of her passing us.  The quality is a little bit compromised by using Youtube's stabilisation process, but you can still hear the engines thumping away.  Lovely!  :} :} :}

Greg

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paddle Steamer Waverley
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 04:47:53 pm »

Great film.  Thanks for showing us.    :-))

Fairly shifting along.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

superqualicast

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
    • Superqaulicast
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:29:26 am »

Went off for a few days sailing last week.  Anchored off the beach in Swanage on Thursday (12th September) we watched the Waverley coming and going from the end of Swanage pier.  There appeared to be no shortage of folk wanting to go for a trip on a real, genuine paddle steamer!  Here she is reversing away from the pier, decks jam packed.

The next day (Friday 13th!  We aren't superstitious and had a very happy sail!) we were coming up the Solent and saw her coming the other way.  Presumably she had been somewhere (Southampton?) for refuelling or similar.  Or do her scheduled trips include into and out of the Solent?  This is a video of her passing us.  The quality is a little bit compromised by using Youtube's stabilisation process, but you can still hear the engines thumping away.  Lovely!  :} :} :}

Greg

Really great video. I could here engine. thanks to give me a chance to watch this video.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:36:09 am »

At the risk of being pedantic, I hope you can't hear her engines "thumping away"! If you can then something is very wrong as, apart from some hissing, her engines are almost silent. What you are hearing is the sound of the feathering paddle blades striking the water.
Regards,
Barry M 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:29 am »

Thats what I thought Barry having gone back and fore to school every day on a paddler  :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 02:09:06 pm »

Barry, I don't think it's pedantic, as I think you are quite correct.  I wasn't sure what I was hearing, but I thought the beat was too slow to be the paddles.  However, looking again at the clip, it all fits.  I bow to the experiene of those who know paddle steamers better than I do.   :-))

Greg

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 02:24:18 pm »

Greg,
Unchain your wallet and buy a ticket on the Waverley to watch her diagonal steam engine running and fill your lungs with the smell of hot lub. oil. Lovely!  Alternatively, I am sure that there is something on Youtube of her engines in action but better if you look in person and support the Trust.
The beat you can hear is much faster than the sound of steam hissing through valves and cylinders. I can't remember how many floats each paddle has but what you hear is the slap - slap - slap as each one meets the water.
One of the highlights of this summer was travelling on the Waverley through the Kyles of Bute in brilliant sunshine. At the north end, just before the 'Maids of Bute', there is a choke point where the course is quite literally between a rock and a hard place and she really flies through. Magic!
Regards
Barry M

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 02:10:43 pm »

Remember the Kyles of Bute myself well, once O and P class subs used to transit regularly for years, until one chined itself there, they thought a rock had fallen until it was properly surveyed, then horror of Horrors the whole area was full of rock obstacles , then Com Clyde banned them using it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.