Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Info and advice required on tug boat  (Read 2238 times)

Bogo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Info and advice required on tug boat
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:27:08 pm »

Hi there folks hopefully I'm posting this in the correct section.

I bought a preformed plastic tug boat kit (possibly SHG models ) and looking for info and pictures of this model. I bought it for the grand sum of £20 and it came with a viper micro marine 10 speed controller 2 MFA re380 motors and zebra servo working 2 kort nozzles.
 So my first questions would be what voltage of battery should I use?     I was thinking 6v but as I'm fairly new to model boating I think asking is the better option than guessing.

2nd question is the speed controller suitable for running the 2 motors?

Here's a photo of the boat as I said possibily a boat from SHG models so any info and photos greatly recieved

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Info and advice required on tug boat
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:27 am »

It's not a good idea to run two motors on one speed controller because they may run at different speeds and also draw more current than it's designed for.

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

LarryW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:13 pm »

Hi
        this boat will very well on a single motor set up , 7.5 battery single kort  so if motors are not fitted just use 1 ....
 i have two boats with this set up a charlot tug and a guardsman, plenty of running time
                         cheers Larry..
never pass a skip

Bogo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »

Afraid motors and kort nozzles are fitted :(( . Ya I didn't think one speed controller would be suitable right enough. Do you think if I got another speed contorller the same and ran the boat on o single 7.2 battery  that it would do the trick? I'm not sure on all this amp ratings

dave king

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:13:29 pm »

if you are running 2 speed controllers remember to disconect one of the bec leads or you will not get the motors working.i fell foul to this a while back

big bill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 09:26:55 am »

g day ,
 i dont think your s/c will handle 2 of those 280 ?? motors , what sized props ??
the problem is the smaller motors can draw more power than 10 A s/c can handle -some small motors draw more Amps than a low draw 555 , due to poor construction .
 i would fit a 25 A mtroniks s/c , to give a large margin of safety , this would allow fitting of 1 s/c to 2 motors +safety margin .
 also i would try a buggy pack battery ,say 7.2V, as this should fit into the small hull
you really need to hook up a Amps gauge , and find out what Amps your 2 motors are drawing , its not that hard, but you do need a gauge or multimeter .
 its very hard to advise , due to the big variation in current draws in motors , 2 motors who look the same , can draw completely different current amounts
good luck    bill s 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.