Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maycraft Models - M Class Meteor Destroyer  (Read 2417 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
Maycraft Models - M Class Meteor Destroyer
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:19:02 am »

I'm interested in any information on the Maycraft Meteor Destroyer kit possibly from the 1960 period. I've run accross a model about 80% complete - was built by a fellow now in a care facility and unable to store it. Original box and plan sheet (worn with age but legible). Missing the prop shaft but prop and rudder are here. Old sheet showing how to position motor and a number of Varley non-splillable batteries but don't see any date on it. Looks like it took six of these at 1 1/2 pounds each for ballast.
Any information or links to another site would be appreciated. With some time and care I think it could be ready for a maiden run.
I can take photos if anyone is interested.
Thanks,
Mike

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maycraft Models - M Class Meteor Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:15 am »

Hi Mike.
The boat  is 1:8 scale 48 x 6ins beam.  An extremely rare late 50's early 60's kit by the Maycraft company and advertised in the Keil Kraft Marine Model booklet @ 1960.
The kit was a gold label de-luxe kit priced at  £18.18.9 old pence which back then  was @ 3 weeks wages.
 There should be two sheets of plans with of over 200 solid brass, duralumin and white metal fittings. Model could be powered by  2.5cc to 5cc engine or electric motor.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY9sfN4Zo7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERUjayToZUw
 http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HMS_Meteor_(G74).jpg
 Frank

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 05:23:17 am »

Hi Frank - this is the one! I'm amazed that you found this information so quickly! I've been going through my Father's old Model maker mags - found a small blip in March 1961 referring to an Oct 1960 article. Found his old 1959 copies and 1961 copies but have to dig for the '60 issues. Not sure what I will find.
Model I have doesn't seem to have some of the detail bits - handrails, etc shown in your links.
I appreciate your information - better idea of what is here.
Your box photos are of a different issue I think but similar.
Thanks again, Mike

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:49:14 am »

Hi Mike.
 RE:  I'm amazed that you found this information so quickly!  all part of the service   O0   Internet is a wonderfull tool just need to how to ask it for what\ you want.
Of course there may be a little psychic energy there in the time period you are looking at as its round about my DoB. {-)
 yes the phots are from two different pages.
 Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.