Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dulux/Humbrol varnish/stain/colour matching  (Read 2257 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Dulux/Humbrol varnish/stain/colour matching
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:18:07 pm »

(I have just realised whilst I put the following on Hint's & Tips, this is probably the better place for the post).

Dear All,

I have had need recently to restore/renew a section of planking on my 1:96 HMS Belfast, with the essential requirement of matching in new wood to the existing deck colour/finish; a rather daunting task, and in principal nearly impossible to get perfect without renewing everything. However, after much thought and some experimentation a 95% match has been achieved with the new wood which has proved very satisfactory, and with only a 'simple wash' to get it 'right'.

The new plywood (basswood), needed to match the existing light golden yellow colour (old/worn well applied lacquer or varnish). The finish to match was old and had been 'weathered' in a loft for about nine years. All decks had been prev. washed during the Summer with numerous applications of an alternate surgical spirit and warm Fairy Liquid rinse (all 'scrubbed' with a fine paint brush) - there was a light to medium coating of a sticky greasy substance to get off parts off sections of the deck, and the Surg. Spirit was needed to remove it (did not use White Spirit as thought it too 'rough').

After browsing all sorts of wood stains in a shop with a good selection of different mfrs. prods., I arrived at Natural Beech (Dulux - Woodsheen, Interior/Exterior). The product as in the tin was still a little too dark to match the 'golden colour', but experimentation thinning down with White Spirit resulted in a 'nearly but not quite' match. It was realised (anticipated), that the addition of colour was necessary. The colour chosen was Humbrol Matt 74. By adding a touch of 64 in stages, an as near as possible match has been achieved. After looking at the new finish, I then decided to 'wash' all the wood decks with the same dilute solution, and a better 'scale' colour has been achieved - what I would call a proper 'natural salt whitened scrubbed wood finish'. The finish has dried perfectly, including the 'over-painting' of the original worn stain/varnish. All that remains is to cover the new wood section with a coat of thinned satin lacquer so to obtain a light sheen - which will match in with the surrounding deck.

The point of all this is that Dulux Woodsheen wood stains can be used in conjunction with Humbrol colours - don't know about Revell, but if Humbrol is ok then I am sure the latter will be - since Humbrol and Revell seem to mix together - laquers anyway. As a general compatibility test, I deliberately left some of the mixture in the mixing bowls (covered with cling film), to see how it managed, and, even after 24 hrs., by adding a little White Spirit, the solution was rejuvenated and usable. I believe this to be sufficient proof of the compatibility of these two makes/types of paint, and much is possible with the different Dulux Woodsheen stains and the many Humbrol colours.

Hope this might be of use to someone.

Regards, Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.