Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: model slipways puffer  (Read 11953 times)

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
Re: model slipways puffer
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »

Thanks Ken - any idea of a source? I've had a look on the internet but can't find anything to do the job. A neighbour lent me a chuck but the shank is too big to fit the drill.
Bill

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 02:47:41 pm »

This is the sort of thing you need. I use one with my Hobby Drill (other makes are available)

http://www.expotools.com/acatalog/hvjb-12800.html
Don't Assume Check

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 05:19:50 pm »

Thanks Ken  - much appreciated!

Bill

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 07:48:31 pm »

Yes they are better than those collets.  To adjust the tightness just hold down the locking pin in the drill and hand turn the chuck.   :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 09:45:22 pm »

And thanks too, Dougal!

Bill

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 10:26:50 am »

Next stupid question: The Gael's build is going better than I'd expected, but she will need a crew. So I'm looking for a skipper, mate,  engineer and a dog. Not just any dog, but a proper mongrel with a lengthy pedigree of misbehaving ancestors appropriate for service on a puffer.

There are plenty of military personnel available in 1/72nd scale, but where can I find a scruffy puffer crew?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 11:28:23 am »

Surely a wee Scotty, (West Highland terrier) . Maybe a Greyfriars Bobby keyring from the Edinburgh tourist trap shoppes.   I`m sure the skipper would have kind `o refined runt from one of the estates and "big hooses" they supplied on the coastal trade. There is the tale of Lady Houston being annoyed by the barking dogs in her estate kennels , released them to the wild. The rise in the locality of  mongrels in the ensuing months were apparently an amazing mix of hunting dogs and domestic pets.  Her Ladyship was designated "one of the few"  (as in Battle of Britain) her story is a good read. Sponsor of the first flight over Mt. Everest and the Schneider Trophy team that won the trophy for Britain. Not born to privilege, she "worked" her way to the top and had friends in high places as they say. %)
..well can you land on this?

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 05:44:36 pm »

Surely a wee Scotty, (West Highland terrier) . Maybe a Greyfriars Bobby keyring from the Edinburgh tourist trap shoppes.   I`m sure the skipper would have kind `o refined runt from one of the estates and "big hooses" they supplied on the coastal trade. There is the tale of Lady Houston being annoyed by the barking dogs in her estate kennels , released them to the wild. The rise in the locality of  mongrels in the ensuing months were apparently an amazing mix of hunting dogs and domestic pets.  Her Ladyship was designated "one of the few"  (as in Battle of Britain) her story is a good read. Sponsor of the first flight over Mt. Everest and the Schneider Trophy team that won the trophy for Britain. Not born to privilege, she "worked" her way to the top and had friends in high places as they say. %)

Duncan, Duncan,
You should know better,  Scotties are black,  Westties are White.

George.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 06:52:17 pm »

Acht how wid ah ken.....am a Bearded Collie or any hairy dug man  :embarrassed:   What nae animal wis Bobby anyway , apart frae the brass nose ?   

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2013, 03:29:05 pm »

Acht how wid ah ken.....am a Bearded Collie or any hairy dug man  :embarrassed:   What nae animal wis Bobby anyway , apart frae the brass nose ?

Well Duncan,
You being EX Glesga Polis with your powers of deduction should now whit kind a dug has a brass nose.

George.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2013, 04:14:45 pm »

Skye Terrier.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »

Still looking for a crew, although I've seen a scruffy border collie in a charity shop which might make a reluctant recruit.
The model is going well; my standards of workmanship are a wee bit rustic, but after all, she is a puffer, and they weren't exactly royal yacht standard.
I'm jumping about a bit.
The lower superstructure is finished, and the wheelhouse is almost complete. The winch is also finished and painted.
I went into Hull today, to a great wee model shop called Just Kits, and got some right-angled plastic rod (That's not what it's called, but it's what it's shaped like) I'm going to drill some small holes in it and cement it along the inside of the gunwale, and suspend  tyres over the side from it, which was a common means of fendering on these ships. It also helps to take away the bare look from the inside of the gunwale.
I also bought some 1/64" ply (which cost more than the puffer did). I intend to line it out and lay it on the foc's'l and the poop to simulate wooden planking.
I'll try to post some pics at the end of the week. I'm really enjoying this model - it's well designed, fun to build, and has been a real learning curve.
Which is just as well, since I've just bought a Northlight puffer.
It was advertised on Gumtree for £50 -  just started and then parked in the loft for a number of years. It's supposedly complete, but I'll find out soon enough when the courier arrives.
 I have to admit that of all the larger scale puffers it's my least favourite - the funnel has never looked right to me - but at fifty quid it was worth the risk.

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »

Bill,
 I happened to see in a shop a Monopoly set and it had a small terrier type dog as a marker, so why not have a look in the kids toy box and see if there is one there .
George.

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 09:07:42 pm »

Thanks George - my youngest wean is 38, and being an avowed Marxist refuses to play Monopoly in case she gets filthy rich and has to compromise her principles.

I think the best option is to go to a car boot sale and look for a farmyard dog, although I suspect I'll have to buy a full farmyard set comprising pigs, sheep chickens and a grumpy farmer.

On the plus side, I might pick up a pretty milkmaid.....

hollowhornbear

• Full Mayhemer

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:51 pm »

Thanks George - my youngest wean is 38, and being an avowed Marxist refuses to play Monopoly in case she gets filthy rich and has to compromise her principles.

I think the best option is to go to a car boot sale and look for a farmyard dog, although I suspect I'll have to buy a full farmyard set comprising pigs, sheep chickens and a grumpy farmer.

On the plus side, I might pick up a pretty milkmaid.....

Bill ,
Try this link to e-bay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=britains+farm+animals&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.Xbritains+sheep+dogs&_nkw=britains+sheep+dogs&_sacat=0

Britains do dogs ,farm animals and farm workers all to 1/32" scale

George.

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

Thanks George: Unfortunately this model is 1/72nd scale. However, I did look at the link you gave me and did a bit of surfing; I've found a set of civvies in 1/76 scale which might just do the business - although none of them seems to own a dog, so Para Handy will have to wait for his four-legged friend....
Bill

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 01:42:35 am »

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 11:34:22 am »

Trust you Bri, is that a  Cocaleaky dog.

Bill ,
Why do you want a dog for your puffer, in my apprenticeship days I worked on Clydeside next door to Kingston Dock ( now filled in and flats built on it ) where the Puffers moored up for the night when in the city or awaiting new loads.
I spent many a lunch break on the Puffers listing to the story's about daring-doos on the high seas but don't remember any pet dogs on board.
When you think about it how would a poor dog relieve itself on the voyage , say to Cambelltown , which was a good days sail for those little boats.

George.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 11:47:06 am »

Aye , richt enuff . Ah neffer saw a dug on ony o the Troon boats neethir :D

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2013, 11:51:28 am »

Hi George,
I remember Kingston Dock; I think it was the first dock to close. 
When I was a kid in the East End I used to get a train to Queen Street and walk the docks as far down as KGV - which the last time I was in Glasgow was still a working dock.
There were quite a few old puffer hands still around when I lived on Bute some years back. I have a friend in Colintraive who sailed in them - his first 'ship' was the Cuban, and some years back I wrote a piece about him for the local paper - he's a real character and had a fund of great stories.
Re the dog, you're probably right, but my boat's going to have a dog.
As a matter of interest back in the sixties the Waverley's then skipper had a dog which he brought on board.
It had no sense of loyalty whatsoever - it jumped ship at every opportunity and invariably ended up on the nearest Calmac ferry  - he once got the dog back with a bed and breakfast bill and a stack of Calmac labels attached to its collar!
Bill

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »

Aye , richt enuff . Ah neffer saw a dug on ony o the Troon boats neethir :D

I think the spell check is broke again.....  %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

richald

• Full Mayhemer
  • Retired and loving it!
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2013, 01:20:04 pm »

Nah Martin - You've got your spell checker using the wrong dictionary !
- reset it to either the English/Scotland or the Scottish/Gaelic one.

I only have the English/United States one, but I am slowly filling it with the 'proper'
English spellings!

Richard
Senior member of the OGG (Order of the Grumpy Gits)
Membership Number : 002

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2013, 03:03:29 pm »

Re the dog on the Waverley - it was in the seventies, not the sixties. The  dog was called Grudi.

bill jardine

• Full Mayhemer
  • More steam, MacPhail!
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2013, 07:27:15 pm »

I got a package today containing the Northlight kit. I haven't opened it yet, since the shed is still occupied with the puffer under construction, but my dearly beloved was less than impressed when she saw the size of the box which arrived.
Spent today working on the punt for the Gael, using a balsa former wrapped in gumstrip. It's come out reasonably well, although a wee bit fine in the bow. I used to go fishing on Bute with a friend who owned an ex-puffer punt. It was 14' long and was absolutely massive in construction - he had an old seagull 5hp engine on it and it hurtled through the water like an arthritic tortoise.
My beloved, who is a woman of infinite patience[size=78%] [/size][/size]has informed me in the strongest possible terms  that if I even suggest that she accompany me to watch  the maiden voyage of the Gael she will tear me limb from limb.[size=78%]
I guess that's a no, then.... <:(

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.