Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: e-mail problem  (Read 4033 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
e-mail problem
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:40:14 pm »

Is anyone having problems with Virgin Media...the "Blueyonder" thingy?
All I'm getting at the moment is a red screen and a word telling me it's "Loading"....for hours!
Thought I'd post this before contacting Virgin (again). BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: e-mail problem
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »

Hi Bryan
I am on Virgin and they are a pile of rubish. There network is tempomental and over loaded and no were near the speed they claim. took 4 of there enginers to fix a problem only after I had to show them how to. But saying all of that hotmail and this site seam to be the worst for waiting or timing out

John

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:21:27 pm »

<*< A friend of mine sadly died last year and his wife wrote to them stating that she could no longer afford to keep virgin,they ignore her letter,and after a lot of phone calls over several months they ended the agreement leaving her with large bill,their service stinks,Ray. <*< <*< <*< 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:37:33 pm »

Virgin Engineer  {-)  {-)
Most of them graduated from the same school
as the Craplin Muppets.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »

Come on guys......I'd like to nip this in the bud ASAP.
I did not want to incite a general free for all about the merits/failings of any provider you may care to name.
Tales of woe and rather crass comments about the quality of personnel should be directed elsewhere.
I asked a simple question.....i.e. has anyone had mega problems logging on to their Blueyonder account in the last few days. No more, no less. So quit with the spurious stuff, will you. Please. BY.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 06:58:43 pm »

Sorry Bryan.
It is most frustrating when you have a problem
that you need outside help to resolve.
Only by shouting at the service provider are you likely
to get any satisfaction.
Could be a local problem or countrywide.
If no-one comes on here with the same problem
it only means that no-one reading the post has
had the problem.
Hope you get it sorted.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

plug

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:02:22 pm »

Mines fine at the moment but when i do have a problem with it i re-boot the computer and that seems to fix it

Jack.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »

:-)) I agree with Ned sometimes whatever you do to get some satisfaction with big companies it always falls on deaf ears,the internet providers being one of the worst of all,hope you get it sorted out,happy boating,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:29:03 pm »

am with Virgin and my email is fine.. I am on the old Ntl email. And on the whole have had a good service from them

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:43:38 pm »

OK. So re-booting my computer may help. Or not.
Thank goodness that Mayhem still has members that can focus rather than going off on their own tangents.....and can spell. Cheers. BY.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:56 pm »

Mines fine at the moment but when i do have a problem with it i re-boot the computer and that seems to fix it
Jack.
As with an earlier issue this week, depending if you are on wifi , or have a router box  then turn the whole lot off, leave 5-10 minutes (probably not that long but sounds a good time) turn back on, router first then pc leaving the router to settle down first..

Then get the Hammer..

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »

:-)) Hi,BY, I hope my spelling was O.K. getting on a bit and fingers and brain not what they used to be,getting back to the problem my laptop was not responding and my daughter down powered it by unplugging and taking battery out left for few mins and powered up been working O.K. since,Ray :-)) :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 09:24:42 pm »

Mines Virgin, are you using their WiFi router? That's the black box with the blue and green lights. (Netgear)

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 09:25:05 pm »

been with virgin since april this year, no probs at all, they promised me 30mb i get 37 to 40 mb most of the time, the red screen on your mail acc may not be virgins fault, it sounds more of a virus prob bry,   dont know what antivrus programs you run but i would run a scan and check for internal probs first

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »

Well now! That is what I would call "good service". Serious and sensible answers to a serious question. Thank you, gentlemen.
Many serious questions have been posted on Mayhem only to be totally destroyed/disrupted etc. by the few who wish to fly their own flag ignoring the thrust of the main question. So, thanks again.
Do you mind if I bring up another subject?
Many moons ago I downloaded "Sketch-Up"...played with it (enjoyed it, actually).But now I'd like to get into it a bit more seriously. The winter coming on and all that...it seems to me to be a good time to learn.
Last winter I spent the time building my Admirals Barge..but the eyesight now precludes any more "real" building.....so I've started to think that "virtual" building could be the next best thing to do.
Perhaps, maybe, if there are sufficient Mayhem members playing around with Sketch-up it could lead to another headline site? Any thoughts?
Thanks for the earlier responses. Bryan Y.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 01:33:43 am »

Hi Bryan,
That "sketch-up" suggestion deserves merit.
I've fiddled with it a while ago, but must really get back into it.
Know I'd find it usefull on here
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 09:23:57 am »

Got to admit that the unplug everything to isolate from any power, (take the battery out of mobile phones etc) scheme has been effective several times for me, worked on the  TV, Freeview box, PC several times (some even advocate just pulling the plug rather than switching off first)  Router and mobile phone. Always try it first now and despair at the hours wasted in the past trying to find that elusive problem!!! Doesn't help that most of us non IT types probably are not sure what we are looking for in the first place. %% >>:-( :} :-))

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 12:59:21 pm »

Great stuff.......after a full re-boot of both computer and router etc. I'm up and running again. Mind you, I didn't (and still don't) know how to reboot the main computer...that screen that flashes up on start-up doesn't stay on long enough for me to hold it!
Anyway. Thanks to all you kind souls who chipped in with advice.
Now I can cary on trying to build a ships hull in sketch-up! I wouldn't be at all surprised if it takes as long as actually making the real thing. A winters' project methinks. BY.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 01:40:12 pm »

:-)) Best of luck with your new project hope it turns out ok,I think that sort of thing is a bit beyond me I have enough trouble building my models,as an old fogey I can just about do the basic things with the computer,anyway let us know how you get on I might learn a thing or two,happy modelling,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-))   

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 03:27:46 pm »

:-)) Best of luck with your new project hope it turns out ok,I think that sort of thing is a bit beyond me I have enough trouble building my models,as an old fogey I can just about do the basic things with the computer,anyway let us know how you get on I might learn a thing or two,happy modelling,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-))
"Sparkey"......come off it! Old? I'm nearly 5 years older than you and still like to try new things. If it wasn't for the loss of my binocular vision I'd be dreaming up another "proper" model rather than a computer generated one.
My main problem at the moment is trying to understand the 350 page manual for the programme. Might as well be written in Swahili as far as I know. I guess I'm going to have to buy a Dummies guide for it. Probably have to build another bookshelf for all the Dummies Guides I've amassed. Spread your wings mate! Bryan.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 04:08:47 pm »

Hi,Bryan,sorry to hear about your eyes,is there anything they can do to improve your vision I know that the eye people can work wonders these days,my mother-in-law had laser treatment and she 91!.Manuals are written by experts for other experts, most people usually need someone to translate it for them me included youngsters are pretty good at that,good luck mate,Ray. 

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »

Take heart Bryan, by going through the process of turning the computer of and then back on again, you have rebooted.  Its just geekspeak for turning a computer off and back on again.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 12:17:26 pm »

Also try rebooting your router it may well have been updated but needs the reboot to reset its settings

Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 02:25:40 pm »

one trick to try is to reload a webpage using ctrl and F5 pressed at the same time, this completely reloads the page from scratch (you may not know that your computer remembers a webpage and when you normally open it again re-uses that data to make it open quicker, ctrl +F5 makes it reload from the website from scratch and can solve problems where the computer has mis remembered the page.)
Grendel

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 02:33:39 pm »

Dear all.
I find quite amazing..and both disheartening and depressing that so many people still encounter so many problems with the Internet. You’d really think that everything would have been sorted out by now.
    As for me, I’ve been having a shed load of problems since I last posted. Not all related to the e-mail side of things.
The first mega horror was all of a sudden discovering that I’d somehow been saddled with 5 (!) “Homepages” without any input from me. That also meant 5 different Toolbars and 5 different “suppliers”….each one now deluging me with adverts in spite of my having a fair amount of AV stuff.
I think Brian_c (and my son) have the correct diagnosis here….I’ve been infected with a load of “Malware” from somewhere or other.
I’ve had a chat with my friendly computer guywho agrees with me that a “re-build” of the machine is probably a good idea. Especially as Microsoft are preparing to stop supplying updates etc. for XP.
As many of the components presently installed are “modern”, and I’ve got no desire whatsoever to change them, we’ve decided that upgrading to Widows 7 with more RAM, a bigger HD and a “top of the range” motherboard is the way to go. This is also going to be a damn sight cheaper than buying a complete new machine.
Fortunately I can still keep up with things via my iPad during the time I’m without the PC.
I had considered getting a new Mac….but there’s just no way I could latch on all the ancilliary stuff. Problems, problems. Do they ever go away? Cheers. BY.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.