Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: e-mail problem  (Read 4075 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: e-mail problem
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 05:22:01 pm »

The extra toolbars and change of homepage usually crop up as a result of not reading the pages presented when installing an otherwise freebie program.  There is often a very unobtrusive tick box to opt out.  Most respond to uninstalling using the regular uninstall procedure, some just need to be pushed to one side by disabling them in the tools section.  On the other hand, if you have been infected by Delta, this is a well known borderline malicious piece of software and highly persistent, but is well enough known that a search provides a good crop of cures.  "Borderline malicious" is much like saying "almost honest" about a politician or banker.
A newly hatched machine will be free of such optional extras, but only until the next one turns up, it is as well to know how the parasites got in in the first place, prevention being easier than implementing a cure.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 05:29:34 pm »

Thanks Malcom.
Actually I hadn't downloaded any new stuff...all came "out of the blue" as it were. Including the Delta toolbar. Speaking of "Blue"....I also now find that I cannot stay on Google Earth for more than a minute or so before the Blue Screen comes up. 'Tis a booger. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2013, 05:58:56 pm »

Reason I asked if you were using the Virgin "All in one" Modem/Router (which you didn't answer) was that until recently I was using Virgins original Modem (Little black box) and my own Netgear Wi-Fi router. Kept getting no connections and despite resets of both router and modem, unplugging power and counting to ten and plug back in, it would run for a couple of weeks and hiccup again. On one occasion, after going through the frustrating loop of contacting the online help (Telephone) and being instructed how to do the reset thing (DOOOOOH) the Tecky on the Indian subcontinent told me my Router needed replacing. I was all set to dash out to our local bits warehouse (CCL) and deposit 50 portraits of HRH when I decided to do a reset on the Router and B----r me, we're up and running again.

Next time it dropped out, back onto the helpline and insisted that it was a Virgin Fault. Got a roving technician/installer a day later who explained that due to my proximity to the Green box in the street (less than 200mtrs away) the separate Modem and Router desynchronised from each other causing the drop outs. Solution? He supplied FOC a combined modem/router (Netgear) Wi-Fi fer free. Haven't had to massage it with a seven pound screwdriver yet although there have been a couple of server faults since. It might not apply to you, but worth noting. Virgin are not an easy company to deal with despite all the bu-----t on the tele.

Don't be too quick to get rid of XP, far more stable than its two successors and due to the numbers worldwide telling Microsloth that they're not going to change from it, MS may have to have a rethink.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »

May I suggest you try before you buy if possible.

Being in a similar position I opted for a more "modern" PC with windows 7.

Not a new one, but a good condition rebuild with dual core processor and solid state hard drive.
Definitely "quicker" and faster start up etc.

However and there always seems to be a however, I hated windows 7, every time switch on/of had to wait while it did automatic updates. Wouldn't run XP software, or outlook express etc. Nice Library  but incompatible with any XP data in fact corrupted it.

Gave it a week but took it back and had Windows 7 removed and XP Professional installed, Much, much better.

Best of both worlds, decent performing PC and XP Professional.

Really think there is a scare campaign, to get everyone to dump XP, me, am going to hang in until the end.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:24 pm »

I couldn't agree with you more Sir.

I have a new machine with Window 7 and suffer the same fate. I have a library of XP stuff which no longer works and was boxed ready for the charity shop. I couldn't do it, so it's just sitting there.

Is it possible to still buy Wndows XP please. I understood there were difficulties.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2013, 09:45:42 pm »

Ken,

My Guru is Microsoft certified, and very cluey, (but so is anyone except me when it comes to PC's), was very very reluctant, had to force his arm up his back, to remove Windows 7.

And he did have XP professional to install so it is still available, but you need to be very adamant about it.

Go for it, you won't be sorry.

Also discovered you need a "new" machine to run Windows 7, couldn't install it on my old machine as the CPU, "the motor" couldn't handle it.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 10:50:18 pm »

I think I'll look for secondhand one with it on. That way I can use my old stuff.   %)

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:10 pm »

I have my machines networked, this means I can run any of them from any other machine, thus my XP box and its programs are available on my win vista laptop or the win 7 notebook.
I use tight VNC to connect them.
Grendel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.