Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motors for AHS  (Read 1473 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Motors for AHS
« on: September 28, 2013, 08:20:40 am »

I'd like some thoughts on motors for my anchor handler rebuild please.

I have two bow thrusters of unknown make that take seperate motors attached through a small flexi shaft. All the parts of these thrusters gears, props etc are plastic so I reckon the motors can't be too big or damage will occur.

I need two preferably 6v motors to power the hull. Its dimensions are around 40in long 9in wide, the plans which are now very faded seem to show it requires around 12 kilo's of ballast in the hull to float to waterline, don't really know how much because whilst I built it many years ago, it was never sailed!

It has two steerable kort nozzles at the back with approx 55mm probs, not measured them so thats a guess to size!

Is it feasible to want 6 volt motors for something this big? what rpm's for the motors? I've been looking at some hi-torque ones on ebay in the 600-1000rpm range. However I don't want to find that I put them in and then the thing is underpowered!

Is there some sort of rough guide that can be used to calculate this for future builds?

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motors for AHS
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:18:44 am »

Hi,
I built an anchor handling supply boat (Bourbon Orca, there is a build log on here) that is a little larger than yours. I used two 900 size motors on 12v running 50mm props in fixed korts.

This combination gives the boat more speed than scale, but that is controllable with your thumb! I get about an hour toodling about on a 12v 7ah gel cell, which helps with the ballast requirements.

These motors are great and although more than needed in this application, they will last forever (almost) as they are never stressed.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 11:56:31 am »

As above and defo on 12v

Dave

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 01:02:12 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion both of you. The thing was fitted with 2 12v 550 motors originally but as I said I never sailed her. It went into storage in the 90's and remained there. here's a link to a couple of pics I posted months ago.....
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38981.msg388874.html#msg388874
One of them went to the breakers yard. the other is salvaged and will be having a keel up rebuild with the two thrusters installed along the way. I wanted to use 6v geared units as my other ongoing models will also be using 6v. But thinking if it has twin bowthrusters,  twin mains and working fire monitors, maybe for running time economy 12v is better.

Ian, the Bourbon Orca was featured in a National Geographic (not sure, it could have been Megastructures) program in the early hours during the week. It was showing the build and how it runs and why its such a strange design, apparently that bow helps fuel economy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.