Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BLOWN UP 8 ESC ?  (Read 11735 times)

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
BLOWN UP 8 ESC ?
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:19:29 am »

AS said between the two of us B.B and Myself we have blown 8 Mtronic esc ranging from marine 20 to marine 25 setup type and plug and play
they will just blow up in smoke or explode as soon as the batt is connected to esc
all do the SAME THING  first they blow the in line 15 amp fuse (BLUE ) then when another fuse  is inserted they go up in smoke ,WITH OUT  even having the motor or the servo connected
now this is in 3 different models with 3 different wiring harness with different batteries at 2 different locations
FROM all the experiments we have tried it appears to US that they won't take over 11.1 v  as we are both using NEW 12v 7ah SLA  batteries
i have but some pic of one of them blowing on the bench  you can see the burn marks on the laminex bench top
i have contacted Paul at Mtronic and replied to send pic of the wiring so i have done that a couple weeks ago ( nothing since )
any one else had trouble with this units using over 11.1 3s lipo batt ??
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BLOWN UP 8 ESC ?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:56:44 am »

Looking at photo #2 and looking at a 12v SLA of mine, granted a different make, the + and - terminals are reversed. 
There was a case on here a few years ago where a problem was traced to the battery connections being incorrectly labelled.  This was sorted using a voltmeter and some red and black paint to avoid reverse connections.  The moral was to trust the meter rather than the painter in the factory.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:19:13 pm »

well we had 3 different batt pos is red neg is black all check out on the voltmeter
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:07:28 pm »

Malcolm,

I also have a couple of "DiaMec" 12V SLA's, marked DM12-7.2(12V 7.2AH/20HR)

The terminals are identical as shown in Shrimpers photo.

However, good comment re terminal markings, and something I will keep in mind with batteries  :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:51:48 pm »

Which battery were you using, you mention both an SLA and Lipo's?

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 04:41:00 pm »

Is that a red light on the fuse holder? How does that work if it is?

Have you measured voltage on the battery, Although lead acid batteries are 12v marked they normally sit over that, 12.5v perhaps.

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 04:46:52 pm »

If you are taking a 12v SLA straight off a charger it could
be as high as 14v before settling down.
A fully charged one will Defo  be over 12 v

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 06:20:09 pm »

The info blurb from MTRONIKS says the RECEIVER should be connected to the E S C , that 'servo' wire your refering to IS the RX connector , couple as is for B E C 's to the RX otherwise disconnect the red wire if your using independent power supply to the RX . . .
What's to be gained by applying power to the E S C without RX control? all that powers got to go somewhere . . .
set up sheet is on here . . . .
http://www.mtroniks.net/details1.asp/ProductID/182/Viper-marine20.htm
Bill

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 09:30:50 pm »

we are using 12v SLA i was only referring to lopo as the 11.1 voltage max

we have blown up many with them fully connected as per there  install sheet

the pic i posted was more or less to show they will blow with out anything connected to them

sla usely sits round for a few weeks uses still holds the 12.8v
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 05:09:12 am »

s that a red light on the fuse holder? How does that work if it is?

no idea it comes on when yi
s that a red light on the fuse holder? How does that work if it is?

[/size]NO IDEA IT COMES ON WHEN YOU BLOW A FUSE
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 06:36:12 am »

old shrimper...are you suggesting we all need to buy shares in Specsavers? {-) .....Derek

"that a red light on the fuse holder? How does that work if it is? ..... no idea it comes on when yis that a red light on the fuse holder? How does that work if it is?"

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 07:39:14 am »

:-)  'blinking!' sizing as soon as i highlight or copy and past it goes small
or a smiley face
not quite wright but close
no ideea it comes on when the fuse blows
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:44:33 am »

hi ya all
with regard the speed controllers that have all gone 'pop' did they all come from the same source i.e. shop/internet.... cos was it about a year ago that the market was flooded with what shall we call it 'Far Eastern promise of copies from we know where' I do know that MTroniks fell foul to the copies along with other Companies especially the Company who produce IMAX B6 super duper battery chargers and I know this cos I bought a copy myself from the web and I didnt know it was a copy until I was doing some research on YouTube where they opened up a copy and compared it with the original as everything else was a perfect copy of the original, apart from the componenets inside the charger.  The colouring on the exterior, literature, even to the box was so difficult to distinguish from the original and I only found mine was a copy after I had opened it up cos curiosity go the better of me.  Now obviously you wont be able to open up to inspect the speed controllers because of the way they are constructed and if you try to open it up you would bust it or void your warranty.   Just food for thought.
aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 10:11:26 am »

hi mate
yes they all came from a well known UK supplier
im think a bad batch as i still have one that works fine in all 3 models  we have between us ??
cant kill it
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 10:59:33 am »

hi ya all
with regard the speed controllers that have all gone 'pop' did they all come from the same source i.e. shop/internet.... cos was it about a year ago that the market was flooded with what shall we call it 'Far Eastern promise of copies from we know where' I do know that MTroniks fell foul to the copies along with other Companies especially the Company who produce IMAX B6 super duper battery chargers and I know this cos I bought a copy myself from the web and I didnt know it was a copy until I was doing some research on YouTube where they opened up a copy and compared it with the original as everything else was a perfect copy of the original, apart from the componenets inside the charger.  The colouring on the exterior, literature, even to the box was so difficult to distinguish from the original and I only found mine was a copy after I had opened it up cos curiosity go the better of me.  Now obviously you wont be able to open up to inspect the speed controllers because of the way they are constructed and if you try to open it up you would bust it or void your warranty.   Just food for thought.
aye
John

Interestingly, Hobbyking list the Imax 6 in two forms, genuine and copy ( with product code SKU: IMAXB6-FAKE).  The copy is about half the price of the "real" one. Strikes me that selling them like this only encourages cheap pirating of a good product. At least they are upfront about what you are buying. I have a genuine one which is a nice bit of kit but I wouldn't fancy putting any reliance on a copy, LIPO charging is iffy enough without chancing your arm on inferior kit.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 11:21:05 am »

Interestingly, Hobbyking list the Imax 6 in two forms, genuine and copy ( with product code SKU: IMAXB6-FAKE).  The copy is about half the price of the "real" one. Strikes me that selling them like this only encourages cheap pirating of a good product. At least they are upfront about what you are buying. I have a genuine one which is a nice bit of kit but I wouldn't fancy putting any reliance on a copy, LIPO charging is iffy enough without chancing your arm on inferior kit.

I have both. A copy, which at the time I did not know it was a copy  >>:-( >>:-( and also a genuine one, bought from Hobbyking. O0 O0
Both work the same and are both going strong.
The genuine one has a hologram type sticker on it similar to Microsoft's genuine software stickers, and is the only way I can tell them apart.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 05:07:17 pm »

hi ya
I know this is going off topic a bit, but I fell into the same trap as a lot who purchase through the net, with regards to buying a battery charger - look for the cheapest with the best name.  At the time I was entering into the field of lipo batteries and brushless motors; so needed a battery charger that would charge up lipos and at the present time it charges the lipos okay, as I have checked the lipos with a little plug in meter which plugs into the end of the lipo batteries and checks the cells and the balance and they have charged okay.  Also, it charges the standard Ni-MH batteries no problem, so - so far - so good.
Still doesnt answer the problem with these speed controllers though - but definitely sound suspect to me. i.e. copies.   Maybe someone should send one to MTroniks cos no doubt they could open one up and know what to look for inside and possibly give a good answer.
aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 03:34:17 am »

some  of them have been sent back to M tronic via the supplier  no word yet ?
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 03:45:39 am »

TRUE or FALSE
 Mtronic marine 20A ESC won't run on LIPO batteries ??
just somthing i was told  , as im wanting  to run one on a lipo 2s 5000mAh when i get the replacements   IF IT HAPPENS

talking about batt chargers i just got a Turnigy 4 button one from HK (accucel -6 ) any one used that one ?? 
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:03:43 am »

I would not have thought the chemical make up of
the cells would make any difference to the power
supplied by the battery.
The voltage and the load being the deciding factors.
The only thing is not allowing the cells to discharge
below their limit and I don't think the ESC mentioned has a
low voltage cutout.

Ned

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 09:16:04 am »

Hi
I would have to agree with ned. 10V to 13V dc is just that. ESC dont care how the voltage/amaparage is strored.
were the story may have come from is. A LIPO given the chance can dump all of it power AH very quickley. with this much current it could destroy an ESC, but rember. 1 if you have correct fues and 2 the current may be avaible but the amount used is govened by the pull ie motor. yes if the motor had a short then there would be massive current pull but thats were the fues does his job.
I have the Mtronics esc micro in some of my boats and they run on 7.4V 800mah bat never had any problems.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck on the ESC. If you can get the serial numbers email the to Mtronics and see if they are real or fake items. My self i rate mtronics very highly better than most other makes taking cost,reailiblty, range, in to account.

John

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:44 am »

hi John
thank you for that info
yes the reputation  this forum gives Mtronic is way i bought them to start with

either of us now , are not game to connect one up on 12v
the serial # idea is great one

cheers
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 09:34:12 am »

A LIPO given the chance can dump all of it power AH very quickley. with this much current it could destroy an ESC, but rember. 1 if you have correct fues and 2 the current may be avaible but the amount used is govened by the pull ie motor. yes if the motor had a short then there would be massive current pull but thats were the fues does his job.
1 The fuse does not, and can never, protect the ESC.  It is there to protect the boat from the ESC should the ESC develop a fatal flaw, like an internal short.  This can result in a burning ESC and/or melted an/or burning wiring.
2 Mtronics are advertised as having built in current limiting, so a motor wanting more current than the ESC can deliver should just be choked off.
The only way a fuse can protect an ESC from what the motor wants to do at it is by having a fuse between ESC and motor.  With a current limiting ESC, there is little point in doing this unless there is more than one motor on that ESC, when one fuse per motor becomes sensible.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 09:38:13 am »

Where do find the serial No.?
Just looked at a couple and there
aren't any serial nos to be seen.
I know mine are genuine as I bought them
direct from Otley.
Mine are all ex test models that Mtroniks
sell at discounted prices.

Ned

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 09:56:15 am »

Hi
you can say what you want but a fues can protect an esc . I have blown fues and not esc.

All mine are in my boats so If there is a serial numberIi would not be able to see were it is. Could it be on the pakage that the ESC came in. You never know it might not have a seril number. There may be some thing inside that Mtroniks can see that tells them when it was built. Email them see what the surgest. They must have some way of knowing when stuff was made.
As for the the 12V . Most boaters run on 6V or 12V sla or now LIPO or NIcad. Mtroniks know this and would not make an esc that could only work on 12v and the 13.8v you get from a fully charged battery.   IF +12V  would kill there ESC , There wantery clames would be through the roof. All mine run on 12V sla fine for years so no problems there. I only know of one manufactor that made an ESC 6V that could not run on a 5 cell 6V pack. No names but I would not use there stuff again.

John
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.