Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QM2 again  (Read 4186 times)

Hilux5972

• Shipmate
QM2 again
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:45:05 am »

Hi all

Quick question about QM2. On the aft end of the top deck, on the kennel roof, what are the two white masts( for want of a better description). Does anyone know what they are used for? Are they galley flues or something?

Regards, Hilux
Current Builds:
1/250 RMS Titanic

Past Builds:
1/250 Titanic (Twice)
1/200 DK Bismarck
1/200 HMS Hood

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: QM2 again
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:03 am »

They are the exhausts for the gas turbines which are housed in the deckhouse below.

Colin

Hilux5972

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:25:36 am »

I thought the gas turbines were housed within the funnel deckhouse?
Current Builds:
1/250 RMS Titanic

Past Builds:
1/250 Titanic (Twice)
1/200 DK Bismarck
1/200 HMS Hood

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:27:30 am »

hello
I read the gas turbines were at the base of the main funnel. Hence the X2 very large exhaust pipes at the rear of the funnel and the air intakes at the base of the funnel. I can rember what thes X2 rer exhaust do but they do service a job

john

Hilux5972

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:48:57 am »

Have just found the following pic online saying that the 2 stacks on the roof of the kennels are diesel exhaust stacks from the engine room in the bowels of the ship. I wonder what the reason for not exhausting it through the funnel was?
Current Builds:
1/250 RMS Titanic

Past Builds:
1/250 Titanic (Twice)
1/200 DK Bismarck
1/200 HMS Hood

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:59:03 am »

I could not rember what they did. but because they were so far to the stern it was easier to give them there own exhaust that trying to get them to exhaust throught the main funnel which is  afair bit foward.

Were the transfer scans ok

john

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:17 am »

mmmmmmmm >>:-( ......the reason for aft pair of external exhausts was designed as an alternative........  to if incorporated with the main funnel would have necessitated a height increase of the main funnel which would not pass under the big Car & Train bridge spanning New York City harbour @ high tide ....the bridge has an Italian name  O0  sorry my New York geography knowledge is lacking  :embarrassed: ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 10:51:14 am »

Sorry, I got that wrong! Yes the turbines are under the funnel. Slap on the wrist,  :embarrassed:  especially as I have travelled on her!

Colin

Hilux5972

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 11:00:20 am »

Yes john the scans were perfectly viewable with every tiny detail visible. Thanks again
Current Builds:
1/250 RMS Titanic

Past Builds:
1/250 Titanic (Twice)
1/200 DK Bismarck
1/200 HMS Hood

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:37:00 am »

mmmmmmmm >>:-( ......the reason for aft pair of external exhausts was designed as an alternative........  to if incorporated with the main funnel would have necessitated a height increase of the main funnel which would not pass under the big Car & Train bridge spanning New York City harbour @ high tide ....the bridge has an Italian name  O0  sorry my New York geography knowledge is lacking  :embarrassed: ....Derek

Verrazano Narrows Bridge. It was a challenging build, because it was built during WWII, and the authorities declared that the bridge construction must not interfere with harbor traffic.

Tom

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 10:19:55 am »

Here are a couple of photos of QM2 passing under the bridge at around 5am in thick fog.
Colin

alan.gamblin

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 03:26:27 pm »

A few years back I built the Revell 1/400 kit; whilst assembling the 2 exhaust outlets I remember thinking that technically QM2 was a 3 funneller like her earlier namesake!   ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 10:17:56 pm »

An interesting link provided by Paul Freshney:
http://www.beyondships.com/QM2-art-Watling.html
Colin

Hilux5972

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 06:30:50 am »

Does anyone have any more pics of this area? I'm going to modifying the model I'm going to build but I'm having trouble finding anymore close up pics
Current Builds:
1/250 RMS Titanic

Past Builds:
1/250 Titanic (Twice)
1/200 DK Bismarck
1/200 HMS Hood

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:50:26 am »

Hi
join this forum http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php  tthere is a section on QM2 there. there are a lot of people who have worked or traveled on her ex sister QE2 and they may be able to help.

john

Tug Chief

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs, boats & all that floats!
  • Location: Sax, Spain or Aktau, Kazakstan or Port Moresby, PNG.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 10:14:44 am »

Hi Guys,
I was a build engineer on the QM2 and also sailed on the vessel as watch keeping engineer and hotel service engineer so let me clear this up for you.
The two exhausts aft are from the vessels waste incinerators, these incinerators not only burn the domestic waste which you would think of but also there are massive dryers which dries out waste food and burns this also.
In addition to this the vessel is fitted with a Rhodia waste water treatment plant which processes grey water (showers and sinks) into water for the vessels main laundry and black water (sewage) into technical water for the machinery spaces.  The solids which are left over from the black water are then dried and injected into these incinerators and burnt.
Up the main funnel go the main generator exhausts and at the back end of the funnel are the massive exhausts of the two LM2500 GT’s which sit directly beneath the funnels base.
Any more questions on this vessel feel free to ask.  :-))
Cheers.

Darren.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2013, 11:37:26 am »

Welcome Darren....it is a small world ......
Some 35 years back I worked in a marine maintenance environment in the Port of Kembla in Australia
One of my meetings was with a Chief Engineer with the ANL [Australian National Line] by the name of Eric McGyvor
Eric introduced him self as being an ex Chief Engineer on QM in the 50's ........latter or after a few beers ........Eric confirmed that he held a Chief Engineers certification....& was a duty watch leading Engineer in the steering gear :-))
From memory........Eric suggested that the original QM1 in 1936 had some 32 Engineers with a Chiefs Certificate in Steam.........
Thanks also for the clarification of the exhaust trunking from the two General Electric LM2500 exhausts....I am familiar with these turbines .......[keep 'em' fed on fuel @ constant load/speed & they will be fine  %) ] ...............but we are only privy to press releases on such matters etc........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug Chief

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs, boats & all that floats!
  • Location: Sax, Spain or Aktau, Kazakstan or Port Moresby, PNG.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2013, 04:40:59 pm »

Hi Derek,
 This is all true, there were not as many engineers on the QM2 I can assure you, she was like the league of nations, 1750 crew from over 50 countries!
 She was not a bad old bus but not a fair to be called a replacement for the QE2, now that was a real ship, especially when she was a steamer!
 Times change, at least we only had a limited number of crazy Italian bus drivers on board, otherwise I am sure there would have been a premature Costa Concordia!
 Cheers.
 Darren.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 23 queries.