Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graupner 600 Eco  (Read 7249 times)

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
Graupner 600 Eco
« on: October 01, 2013, 05:56:33 am »

Has anyone had any experience of these motors and knows what they look like? I just purchased some for some planing models. They are not marked as Graupner but are marked as RS-550PC -7027 and are made in China. To me these means they are Mabuchis not Graupners.
Not feeling too happy about this at the moment. :((

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Graupner 600 Eco
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 06:37:41 am »

mudway.......I cannot answer your question on the German assumed Graupner motors.......but think of the automotive market
VW's manufactured in Brazil  :o
Audi's manufactured in China  %) 
BMW's manufactured in Korea  ok2
What sort of car do you drive?.................... Derek  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:25 am »

At least the BMWs carry a BMW badge not a Holden one.  :-)

Other Graupner motors I have are Graupner branded. These aren't.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:15:54 pm »

At least the BMWs carry a BMW badge not a Holden one.  :-)

Other Graupner motors I have are Graupner branded. These aren't.

But.........could still be made in China. O0 O0 O0
Realistically speaking branding does not have the value connotation it once had. >>:-( >>:-(
Gunna build those other boats one day.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:18:05 pm »

...and I read many years ago about Omega watches being made in HK.
The pack having Graupner printed on it indicates some sort of approval, but I suspect that for several years past "Graupner" motors have been Mabuchis with a badge added.  Possibly off their own production line with their own quality control.  Of course, with Graupners upheaval in the last 12 months, it could just be that there is a world shortage of big G stickers for the motors, it could equally be that it is just another name.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:19:22 pm »

Off subject,

With the Global trade economic setup, and to remain competitive (pricing), it is becoming more common for "known Brands" to source their product/s elsewhere rather than make it themselves.

What does it mean for us boaters, that the supplier to "Brands" will change constantly depending on who wins the supply contract. For ,Holden, Iconic Australian made car, now source their mag wheels from China. They stopped buying local years ago <*< <*< <*< . yet the wheels are "Genuine" Holden ones >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

"let the buyer beware" O0 O0 O0

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:52:02 pm »

Source of origin issues aside. This Graupner branded motor should/will be a high quality 5 pole motor. It appears to have the correct build and self cooling features as on the earlier known and labelled unit. Hopefully its a Graupner 'quality' product although it does lack the usual label. I am certainly a great fan of the Graupner speed range.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 12:06:30 am »

The fact that it is made in China doesn't worry me. I have quite a few good motors made there.
My point, using Derek's analogy, is that if you buy a BMW wherever it is made you expect to drive a BMW out of the dealership not a Holden.
This is a 550 and is 3 pole. I just wanted to see if anyone else had one of these and if it did actually look like a Graupner unit before I complained to the shop.
I have a test tank to test motor and prop combinations and this motor doesn't perform as I would expect.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:28:34 am »

mudway....if I am understanding your tests....the motor supplied in the Graupner 600 bag is really a 550 x 3 pole >>:-( .....if so  then you have every recourse to have the motor replaced with a 600 series motor of the correct pole set & irrespective of origin in manufacture....suffice that is stamped Graupner 600
A large number of European & American companies  shifted their manufacturing base firstly to Japan, then Korea, then Malaysia & now to China and according to analysis the plants are state of the art & cost effective
Having said this there appears to be a quality issue in the stamping or packaging of the motor as supplied to you.................
I understand that it is a pain in the  BUTT.... <*<    but be very firm & polite in your communications with the supplier of the motor........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 03:11:16 am »

Suppose, first things first, is to look up Graupners specs on what a 600 Eco motor (the name/description on package label)actually is.

Then if it does not comply with Graupners specifications, you have grounds for complaint.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:27:44 am »

I was hoping somebody out there would have a real one I'd could see. I'll talk to the shop soon. I've been a mail order customer of theirs for years, so don't want to stuff the relationship up if I'm wrong.
However, I can't find the RS-550PC -7027 version spec sheet anywhere on the Mabuchi site. The Mabuchi site is only Japan, there dosen't seem to be a Chinese manufactured specification you can find.
No site says how many poles the 600 Eco should have. The Mabuchi 550/600 Eco has dimensions are roughly the same as the spec sheet on Graupner's website ( withinf 2 > 3mms) except the weight which is 20 grammes + different. I tried asking Graupner Germany and US for more info such as number of poles but no response. Haven't found a Graupner UK site yet. Did try asking another model shop in the UK who stocks them how many poles too.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 02:27:09 pm »

Thanks, but if you look, no comment on how many poles & the 550 specs are for an RS- 550PC- 8019 not the motor I have which is an RS- 550PC- 7027. The 8019 is a Japanese spec motor & mine is a Chinese spec motor. Different beastie.
Cornwall Model Boats is who I asked how many poles the Eco 600 has.

Welsh Wizard!

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 04:03:45 pm »

Hi Mudway,
I have some brand new in the boxes graupner 600 eco 7.2 motors that i have been comparing with the one in the picture you posted, mine have a graupner 600 eco 7.2 sticker wrapped around them and i am inable to find any other markings or anything written on any of them.
I have used loads of these motors over the years and have never seen one in a package like yours, but these motors have been unavailable for a while and apparently being re-released from graupner around october/november this year so unsure if you have one of the new one through.
I have looked all through the instruction leaflet and motor spec on box and there is no number of poles listed.
Hope this helps if you need any info of box or instructions feel free to contact me.
Cheers
Dave.

Chairman Barry Model Boat Club.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 04:36:44 pm »

here is a photo of my 600 eco motor, it has 4 coils on the rotor if that helps.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »

Thanks. That is what I was after. It sounds like they are 4 pole not 5 pole and there are no instructions in my package. The piece of paper in the package just says how to dispose of the item after use.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 02:22:57 pm »

The 'Turbo' versions of the 600s and 700s are 5 pole, while the others are all 3 pole. I would guess the repackaging that you are seeing is an economy measure for the 'new' company, saving on printing new boxes for what are now 'yesterdays' technology, or certainly from the new companies viewpoint anyway.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 07:54:24 am »

I haven't given up on the subject, sent the shop an email last Thursday. No reply as yet.  :((
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.