Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sea Queen refurbishment or completion (bradders green one)  (Read 5059 times)

Stavros

Sea Queen refurbishment or completion (bradders green one)
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:47:51 pm »

Thought you were the ideal person to buy one Bradders  to go with the Sea queen to rescue Barbie when the Queen sinks Stavros ;)

Bradders

Re: Why ?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:21:37 am »

The old sea queen will never sink....well..I hope not, it depends how thin the hull gets after I have sanded off that lovely pea green paintwork... ;)

I will take a picture and post it....just so the other chaps can see..I am sure it will inspire them

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 11:14:30 pm »

Good god man didnt I tell you there was a condition called gollygreen giant itis on that hull and whoever got rid of the wonderfull green paint would have to eat 20tins of sweetcorn (cold) at the next Mayhem gahtering.Martin knew and I was told not to tell you sugar I ahve now let the cat out of the bag or should I have said sweetcorn.Stavros

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:35:48 am »

Watch out for owls and pussy cats hoping to go to sea.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Bradders

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »

Well, I was going to upload some pics but Stavros had already posted some, as below.

Now on a more serious note, what should I power the old girl with?. I have dug out an old Johnson 888 motor but Martin recons this Will be gutless, I have thought about a car heater Fan motor but not sure. I would like to use 12v lead acids to get a bit of duration any suggestions ?

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 03:50:47 pm »

Bradders, I used to run a Sea Commander many moons ago and I am certain I had a 550 motor in it

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 05:27:48 pm »

if you use the 800 it will be lethargic Braddes - - go for a 850 and water cool it.
 I SHOULD KNOW I HAVE ONE !

SLightly moderated! Admin.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 05:29:18 pm »

I use a car blower motor with 2 x 12v 7amp sla's in my old girl not the fastest on the pond but goes at a good walking pace
                                                                                        Cheers
                                                                                            BobB

I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 05:47:29 pm »

Bradders

I use an 850 (not water cooled). Still playing with props - 2 bladed about 55mm. Goes OK for me.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 07:17:27 pm »

If you use a 850 power the water pump from the motor so it is controlled by the speed controller.Using a std 55mm prop it you fit 2x12 7amp batts as far back as poss she will come up on the plane with 3/4 of its length out of the water as far as duration I get 3to 4 hrs running wiht it in the plane on 3/4 throttle.Any prop bigger then 55mm affects the performance it slows down!!! Havign tried various props from 40mm up this is the best thta you can fit.stavros

Bradders

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 02:56:36 pm »

Thanks for all of the info chaps.
It looks like this may all boil down to speed. 
I envisaged finishing the boat as a sort of 'Broads Cruiser' type, so fast walking pace seems about right to me, I am not too bright on prop sizes but I imagined something larger turning slower (Martin has suggested with a rope cutter !!!)

I just have visions of my old Billings Admiral a few years ago thundering across the lake on its 6v lead acid only to run out of steam after about 5 Min's (a bit like me...now...) so I am looking for endurance really.

Hell I may even hang some curtains in the windows, and probably mount Barbie on the rear deck (I think I know what mean), this should please Stavros  ;D

Bradders

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 07:19:12 pm »

As long as they have flowers on them ;) Stavros

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 07:37:18 pm »

.....and probably mount Barbie on the rear deck
Bradders

Now, what can he possibly mean ? ? ?
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

Stavros

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 07:41:16 pm »

Well if it's Ken everything is ok Bradders well thats a different story ;)stavros

Stavros

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 10:57:32 pm »

Piccie of my Sea Queen in full flight at Wat Tylers lake at Pitsea,850motor,55mmprop,2x12gell cells and it goes well.stavros

Bradders

Re: Sea Queen refurbishment or completion (bradders green one)
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 02:13:21 pm »

Well, the motor problem is solved as I have been kindly passed Buhler Motor by HS93, many thanks again Peter (Martin has the other half to the coupling as well which I have stolen from him  ;D)
This is a loverly piece of engineering and will run 12-24 Volts. I have tried it on 12v and it pulls about 2 amps under finger load (bradders testing method.....remember to let go at the first smell of molten flesh...ouch  ;)) so this should cruise the boat around for a few hours.

I now need to sort out a propshaft and rudder, I can then look at grinding of the 'Pea Skin' from the hull and painting with something a little less 'startling', maybe a cream hull with planked deck and burgundy suprestructure.

Pics of motor below, and I will post a few more when I get the shaft and rudder....

OneBladeMissing

• Full Mayhemer
  • Man overboard! Leave Him! (Eric Sykes)
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2007, 04:58:09 pm »

That green one is an ... er ... interesting colour! Does it glow in the dark?
What you need for a boat that size is ... a strimmer motor!
See martno1fan for details where you can buy one!
"Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by ..... or a short ship and a GPS!"

slewis

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 11:10:47 pm »

Ouch   !    That is some seriously wrong paintwork !
Where on earth did you get the green from ? (looking for the vomit smiley) I like your idea for the colours of the repaint  ;)

Have fun

Shane

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 08:09:00 am »

Stavros had some paint left over when he painted the kitchen and being a true modeller he wasts nothing  ::) ;D
                                                                                                             Cheers
                                                                                                                  BobB
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Stavros

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 06:09:46 pm »

Well Bradders any updates cant wait to see it Stavros
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.