Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to fire boiler  (Read 1664 times)

boattoxic

• Shipmate
How to fire boiler
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:20:36 am »

I have attached a photo of what I have for a fuel source.....it has a valve like a butane lighter but I'm not sure this is the correct fuel. When I tried it with butane it didn't last very long and I couldn't get the flame to stay in the boiler inlet pipe. Another question, how far should the nozzle be in the pipe. I very new to steam....this is my first experience, and I am in dire need of help!!
Thanks!!

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How to fire boiler
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:55:46 pm »

That looks to be one of the Krik original steam units which was build from Welesco parts it is fueled with butane. I have not worked with that model but with my Welesco D48 boiler the gap between the burner unit and the fuel tank was only 2 to 3mm. I had similar problems with mine in that I could not get a run longer than five minutes. I solved mine by building a different boiler and burner, but I have heard of some of these units working well. I wonder if the metal plate on the fuel tank is original?
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

boattoxic

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 04:25:09 pm »

steamboatmodel
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the plate is original. When I acquired the Patricia everything in the photo was still in it's original Krick packaging. I assembled the engine from some photos as the original instructions were missing. The Patricia was quite a challenge for a "new to boats" person.....quite a change from building RC model aircraft for nearly 50 years!!
Sorry to say.....model steam boats are not the number one hobby in Iowa
Thanks again

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:55:02 pm »

No, I've got a feeling builders of model steamboats would have to look a long way up to see the bottom of the Top 100 Iowa Hobbies list.  Let's see there's you and me, someday, so we'll call that 1-1/2 - is there anybody else out there in Iowa?

Don in Manchester
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Landlocked

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 04:16:44 am »

Don, , boattoxic,

There's a least three or maybe 2 1/2 -- my steamboat is still under construction

I'm on the western edge between Council Bluffs and Glenwood (but I build model sailboats as well).  See my Sabino thread in Steam R & D.  I haven't come across another live steamer in the CB/Omaha area.

Ken/Landlocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.