Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electronic speedo cooling?  (Read 2206 times)

fludey

electronic speedo cooling?
« on: June 13, 2007, 06:15:21 pm »

Hi all im fairly new to the boat game but not new to r/c. Im in the middle of upping the power in my Grey Thunder the esc says it can handle 19v so im going twin 7.2 3600 sanyos to a 775 motor and carbon prop.
My question is what is the best way to cool the speed control? a small fan? or water cooling? and if water is the best method how do i go about it...i already have water cooled motor.
Thanks

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: electronic speedo cooling?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:37:34 pm »

Water would be best, extra heatsinks or a small fan would be easier. You may find that you can get away without any extra cooling though.

fludey

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:03:39 pm »

Well ive stripped my speed control and receiver out to spray them with circuit board lacquer which does to a degree water proof them, i will prob do the servo as well. When i re fit the speedo i have made up some 8mm copper heating pipe to sit under it where the big heatsink is to pass water through before it goes on to the motor.
Do you think this will be ok, or do you need a seperate feed to the motor do you think?

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 08:16:43 pm »

Fludey,

I've used your proposed method on my 500 sized fast electric with no problems. I epoxied aluminium tube to top of heatsink on the esc and water goes on to cool motor after esc. Obviously, it depends on flow of water and heat generated by your gear.

Works for me.

Terry.

fludey

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 09:09:43 am »

Cheers, will see how it goes...if it goes bang at least i will have the excuse to go brushless and even faster ;D
But i think it should be ok esc is rated at 19v and im only putting 14.4v through it on a 775 motor so nothing to hot for it! Cant wait for the bits to come from USA so i can get it back on the water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.