Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Wet' exhausts, possible?  (Read 1599 times)

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
'Wet' exhausts, possible?
« on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:17 pm »

OK, I've been thinking about this, and would like some opinions.

Obviously most boats have 'wet' exhausts - that is to say that the engine cooling water is discharged through the exhaust. I'd like to simulate this, with a smoke unit and cooling water from the motors.

Ideally I'd like to use a water vapour unit, but I'd imagine the vapours instantly combining themselves with the cooling water on contact, with the result of just water and empty air leaving the boat. Does smoke from oil-based generators work or is the result the same - dirty water and clean air.

I've devised a way of stopping the water from going into the smoke unit.

More Coffee

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 'Wet' exhausts, possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:09:43 pm »

A good smoker unit should be able to provide enough vapor to pass muster.

I know what your saying. In order to get it I think you may be into a small air pump. feed the vapor to it. allow the exhaust tubes to be flooded via a small hole..turn on the smoker and the pump ..
Another solution would be to just introduce a venturie valve to get air into a water pump stream.
Theres a pile of small air pumps on E-Bay...

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »

I've been looking around and I've found out that Rob Smith's Severn does it, shame he hasn't updated his website in three centuries but I'd like to see how he did it.

The actual insertion of the smoke into the cooling water would be fairly simple, using a fan driven smoke unit and then 't'ing into the cooling pipe at a shallow angle such as 20 degrees or so, but my main question revolves around the smoke staying suspended in the bubbles of air travelling through the exhaust.

I'll have to drop Rob a PM, I think.

catengineman

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:55:34 pm »

Could yo not have the *smoke pipe as the main and then the cooling water at the very last point behind the transom thus leaving only a very small time to affect the *smoke*
the smoke pipe being larger than the cooling water and if that cooling water inlet to the smoke pipe was then angled to feed outward the water leaving the larger pipe should not affect the smoke which is being forced out via the fan assembly in that unit
I could draw you a sketch if it would help

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 06:23:11 pm »

That's a good plan actually. I'll have to work out the size of the exhausts to see how big a pipe I can use, but I may be able to shift enough water to keep the motors cool whilst still having plenty of space in the pipe for the air.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.