Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WELFARE STATE  (Read 4647 times)

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
WELFARE STATE
« on: October 11, 2013, 10:56:04 am »

As some of you may know I am selling my boats because of a debilitating illness. I will be 80 in December. I have been very lucky health wise until 3 months ago I spent 2 weeks in Hospital, I can no longer walk unaided, the hospital gave me a walker which is okay for very short distances. I had to have a stair lift fitted,  buy a wheel chair and other items which has taken all our savings.
I have explored every possible avenue to try and get help. I have filled in 6 different forms each containing about 50 questions.
I could not even get help for my wife who has to wash and dress me and see to all my other needs, all with no avail as I do not qualify. Having worked, paid taxes and national insurance all my life and fought for Queen & Country I now wonder if it was all worth it. I makes my blood boil when I read nearly every day of the benefit handouts given and the millions sent to foreign countries for aid.

Failure is not an option

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
Re: WELFARE STATE
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:36:58 am »

If you have been a member of HM Forces have you considered asking for help from some of the Forces based charities.
I only know a bit about the naval charities but I'm sure the Army has similar provisions for ex-servicemen in dire need.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 11:47:59 am »

patternmaker......100 or so posts ago in another thread you confirmed your previous life as a paratrooper & soldier .....for the sake of your Country
Please contact the authorities & let them help you .....
May I offer.........my regards & from all other Mayhem members ............Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »

If you contact SSAFA they can help...
But it should not be this way......

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:20:15 pm »

Hi patternmaker

Sorry to hear about your health, Gingyer is right contact the SSAFA people on 0845 241 7141
On the their website it says that you will be put though to someone in your area with experience to help you and fight for your rights, especially as an ex-serviceman. As a serving serviceman I wish you the best and hope they can help you with your problems.
Best regards
Nick
(RAF)
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:42:06 pm »

I pm'd  Pattern maker on the very subject.
He has tried the service charities but got no joy being
'only' National Service even though he was recalled for Suez
and was in the first drop.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:54:57 pm »

Not as old as you but I too have had nothing but I have had nothing but contempt from the Tory government in regard to benefits. ATOS were the bug@ers in my case, one week I scored 15 points for mobility etc and the next scored 0. It's engineered so the government get away without paying you (despite the fact I had to incorrectly pay back 30k of benefits after my compensation was paid out).

Was with a friend the other day who actually needs a house and as we were parking up, two trolls walked past, effing and blinding, drinking tenants super strength and throwing the cans in the street. Low and behold, we get into the housing place and there they are, claiming for a house off the state.

The system is a joke, veterans selling their war medals in order to heat their homes, people freezing to death over winter, scared of turning heating on, people starving to death. Let the dregs of society do that.

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:29:51 pm »

Thank you for all your comments, as Ned has stated he contacted me regarding service charities, it would appear National Serviceman did not exist, I served 22 months in Egypt on active service in 1953, 1 year after demob I was recalled by AER for the Suez War in 1956, because there were not enough trained paratroopers in the regular army. We left Nicosia at 0530hrs on 5th november, 2 hour flight to El Gamil to take the air strip, we had to jump from 400ft the minimum height. We were shot at on the way down, I was hit in the right elbow, but nothing serious, we secured the air strip within 45mins.
I took the govenment 47 years to decide to give Suez Veterans medals,  I got mine in 2005
Failure is not an option

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »

Thank you for all your comments, as Ned has stated he contacted me regarding service charities, it would appear National Serviceman did not exist, I served 22 months in Egypt on active service in 1953, 1 year after demob I was recalled by AER for the Suez War in 1956, because there were not enough trained paratroopers in the regular army. We left Nicosia at 0530hrs on 5th november, 2 hour flight to El Gamil to take the air strip, we had to jump from 400ft the minimum height. We were shot at on the way down, I was hit in the right elbow, but nothing serious, we secured the air strip within 45mins.
I took the govenment 47 years to decide to give Suez Veterans medals,  I got mine in 2005

My sympathies, whilst it will not assist, the situation is likewise in OZ.
National Servicemen, AKA Nashos, do not qualify for benefits and because the WWII vets are dying off, as was the RSL, natural attrition, The RSL, Returned servicemans association changed the rules to accept Nashos as members.
Oh yes the Government gave all NASHOS a special commemorative medal.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Raymond

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 01:50:42 pm »

Does that include the Royal British Legion as they claim to help all British servicemen whether regular or National Servicemen.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:01:28 pm »

That's strange because SSAFA state they help regardless if
Regular, reserve or national servicemen......

By my count you would be both
National service when you did it and then reserve because that's what they
Would of called it when they recalled you

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 04:11:03 pm »

That's strange because SSAFA state they help regardless if
Regular, reserve or national servicemen......

By my count you would be both
National service when you did it and then reserve because that's what they
Would of called it when they recalled you

SSAFA stated their help applies to Regulars and reservists not Army Emergency Reserve or National Servicemen of which incidentally over 350 were killed in Suez and Korea from 1951 to 1956
Failure is not an option

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 04:36:23 pm »

In Liverpool social services have occupational therapists who will assess you in your own home as to your needs. If you are assessed as needing a wheelchair and /or a stairlift they are provided but you have to wait. Does your social services not do the same?
Jerry.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »

Unfortunately, the help with the mobility part of the Disability Living Allowance is not available to over 65  year olds. This allowance can only be claimed if you are under 65 years old. I do agree that this age qualification in claiming this 'mobility' benefit is arbitrary and quite unfair. If you require help with personal care then a claim for D. L. A.  Attendance Allowance should be made. The claim pack, obtained from DLA is huge, as you say, and must be filled in very carefully. The Citizen's Advice Bureau are expert if you need help. You will also have a local authority Welfare Advice office who can and will also assist.

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 06:06:59 pm »

I filled a DLA claim pack when I came out of Hospital on 10th August, basically I am on the point of giving up.
Failure is not an option

luke1993

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 06:12:32 pm »

hi
my sister is special needs cerebral palsy, epilepsy, impaired vision ,the list goes on my parents just renewed her dla it took 3 months
she is 16 she has just been awarded it for life so don't give up hope its still early days to hear back from the dla people.
until she was 16 had to renew on reg basis always took a min of 3 months you will get it back from date you filled out the form .
don't give up hope 

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 07:55:48 pm »

My dad served in the Army from the very start to the very end of the Second World War  In his early seventies he developed Diabetes and unfortunately he had both legs amputated one above the knee the other below due to this terrible illness.  My parents lived in a first floor flat.  My wife and I had to carry him up and down stairs for him to go out.  We contacted SSafa and The British Legion to see could they help in any way both said he did not qualify for any assistance.  I later learned through a friend that SSafa had paid out £950.00 for somebodies house to be redecorated.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

wicker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 08:59:29 pm »

Having served on Age Concern committee in scotland your area committee might be able to help guide you in the right direction as regards DSS allowances such as Attendance allowance etc. mind now they might have another name for it now--good luck i think its worth a try

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »

Try them all. Keep going back. Never give up, never. Always appeal. Then appeal the result. You're 80 so you don't have to be totally 100% accurate, forget a few things. Don't lose your temper, be implacable. They have to suffer cuts, it's human nature to fob you off. Keep at them, keep applying. Don't do it all on your own. Organisations such as age concern will give you advocates to help you through.  In the end you'll win.
Disgusted but used to it.
Jerry.

Cherub4

• Shipmate
Welfare State
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 11:58:04 pm »

Hi, Patternmaker,   Disgusted to hear of the lack of assistance in spite of  all your obvious needs .    Try your local AGE CONCERN ,  We had similar   problems and they sorted it very quickly.DONT GIVE UP!!!    Keep banging on at all those departments that are supposed to be helping  but DONT GIVE UP!!!!      P.M me if you feel  you would like to compare notes.      Regards,  cherub4,   aka George.   

patternmaker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 10:41:36 am »

Thank you all for your advice it has made me more determind to carry on.
Regards Mick
Failure is not an option

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 12:39:59 pm »

As a former Royal Marine I can only agree that your treatment so far seems to have been disgraceful. A serviceman is a serviceman regardless of how or why they joined up. All service to the country should be valued equally.

I found The Veterans Agency, maybe they will be able to help with advice. There is also Paracharity.

Stavros

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 02:55:20 pm »

Thank you all for your advice it has made me more determind to carry on.
Regards Mick

Mick DON'T let the buggars grinsd you down....why not contact a TV program like WATCHDOG etc and let them know what's going on get as much PUBLICITY in the PRESS.........Gverment deptartments certaintly DONT LIKE publicity.

It is DISGUSTING the way you are being treated.........upon pain of keel hauling do YOU give up on this one FIGHT them tooth and Nail

Dave

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 09:09:17 am »

When I retired from the council on health issues (two heart attacks, COPD, rheumatoid arthritis in my knees, shoulders, hands, wrists and shoulders) I was stuffed for income. I contacted a charity called Home Works, they sent a man round to discuss what's what...he returned a couple of days later with a fist full of forms, and sat here best part of the day, we went through the DLA forms, Carers Allowance forms, all sorts of forms. He filled them all in for me and posted them off...all I did was to answer the questions and make the tea.

I now get 90% of my rent paid, 100% council tax rebate, I get full DLA, full Carers Allowance, Pension Credits, Disability Pension, a care package (I have a carer come in for an hour a day) free prescriptions...the list is endless. I'm financially better off now than I was whilst at work.

It's well worth hunting them out (try your local Citizens Advice Centre, they'll give you the contact number) If you have trouble finding them, give me a shout and I'll get in touch with them for you.

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

Raymond

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 03:05:33 pm »

This country has always treated its ex service personnel badly ,disabled servicemen during the Victorian ,Edwardian period begging in the streets, and to a lesser degree after W.W.1. My father was fighting at the age of 15 in Gallipoli 1915 and badly wounded just after his 16th birthday, then later going on to fight on both the Italian and western fronts, then re enlisting in W.W.2 .Some years later in the 1950's the long term effects of the wounds severely disabled him, he tried to get help and assistance but was informed that as he volunteered prior to conscription in 1916 he was not eligible any sort of compensation A case of hard luck son your fault for joining .

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.