Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAN ship colors  (Read 3517 times)

Gravman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
RAN ship colors
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:01:24 am »

I am looking for some guidance on Australian Navy ship colors for the Perry Frigates that they purchased from the U.S...Looking for a match to Testors Model Master colors if possible.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
Re: RAN ship colors
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:02 am »

RAN colours are AS2700 N42 Storm Grey for the hull etc. & the decks were, at the beginning, AS2700 N63 Pewter.
N42 is BS381C 631 Light Grey and  N63 is BS381C 632 Dark Admiralty Grey which Humbrol do but only in gloss.
No testors colours I know of but we can't get them very often here anyway but Phoenix should be able to sell you humbrol sized or larger cans as they do all BS381C colours in gloss, satin & matt.  http://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/
I used to pick up their paints at shows when I was visiting the UK or via the mail before the Royal Mail stopped sending enamel paints. If it is for a large enough model, any paint shop should be able to mix a British Standard colour. Well they can in Oz.  :}

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:52:33 am »

Oops, just noticed you are in the US so probably can't get BS paints.  :((
White Ensign do those colours too.  Probaly via an online model shop but I have seen them on eBay.

Gravman

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:22:53 am »

Thanks for the info.  I did notice one major difference between USN and RAN.  The hull bottom color on RAN ships seem to be almost black or a very dark gray.  USN have a black boot top between the bottom paint and the hull color but I do not see this on these frigates.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:45:20 am »

The RAN went all black anti fouling way back. The River Class DDEs had black anti fouling. Ships built in the US came over with USN red anti fouling but this was soon chnaged to black.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:57:29 am »

Gravman....this is not necessarily correct

During my years at the RAN Fleet base....Garden Island Sydney.......each of our DDG's & FFG's had the below waterline protected with TBTO [tributyl tin oxide] paint <*< .....which was also proven to be cacogenic   >>:-( ...to kill marine growth

These paints were also SPCP [self polishing co-polymers]....so were different colours light blue , next a pinkish tone.....then a green & followed a goldish/grey...from this the Navy could tell by visual inspection...just how much residual paint remained

TBTO & SPCP were standard procedures for all US builds......

From memory...HMAS Parramatta received the TBTO SPCP paint job @ Co-Dock as did lighters & other HMAS support craft ...I understand these paint systems are still used today

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 08:58:22 am »

I asked around and from the guys I know who served on the FFGs & DDGs, they said they were painted black and went to a slightly dirty black/brown/gold over time but no other colour chamges.  They did trial a plum red which went to grey and the same blue that the RN used.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:19:28 am »

I managed to get through to the guy at Akzo Nobel who looks after the RAN’s paint requirements.
Anti fouling is painted on in 3 coats. It is painted on Black, Plum or Pink and then the topcoat is Black. Plum becomes visible when the black wears off, the black paint does not change colour. Plum rapidly goes to a Light Grey and Pink goes to a Whitish Grey. Then, when Black starts to become visible again, it is time for a repaint. It is likely that the old way may be used again going forward.

The old black anti fouling i.e. DEs, FFGs when they first arrived was painted on black, black & black. No other colour was visible. Although it did look dirty brown after a while due to the muck in the water.

Also, the Storm Grey hull etc. paint these days is no longer Gloss, it is a low gloss with a relectance of 15%.

Gravman

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:27 pm »

Thanks very much for the info.  I am working on the deck install right now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 22 queries.