Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello shipmates  (Read 1497 times)

Maverickuk01

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is just what I have been looking
Hello shipmates
« on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:33 am »

Hello shipmates. My name is Nigel I am 65 years old living in Cheshire and retired from my "proper" job I still continue my hobby as a singer raising money for my local Air Ambulance. I have previously built a radio controlled truck and a tank. For my next project I am considering the Precedent 49" Perkasa MTB. If anyone has built this please give me the lowdown. I have no experience of "marine" construction so I may be requiring some assistance along the way. Thank you for making me feel so welcome. :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Hello shipmates
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 09:31:27 am »

Greetings Nigel!

Welcome to the Mayhem.... not a bad bunch of blocks on here.....
 ..... but I wouldn't want to spend any time in goal with any of them!  {-)

So your real job is a singer... and clips of you on Utube?

The Precedent 49" Perkasa MTB is big project for you first boat kit! Not impossible by any means
 but there will be quite a few new disciplines to be learnt , fibre glassing, shaft alignment, motor,
 battery, speed controller choices, multiple glues and paints, etc. etc.

...... now this is just a suggestion, but an easier or simpler kit might give you a more
encouraging introduction into the world of model boat. How about buying a cheap or 'almost
ready to float', ( ARTF ), or a plastic conversion kit (eg. Revell Corvette)  which gets you on
the water in a reasonably short time. This usually pays huge dividend long term. Big project,
such as the  Precedent Perkasa has lead to some to frustration and disappointment due to the
quality of the kit and instructions which have varied, quite considerably over it's 30+ years lifespan.... but having said that, there many, many excellent example around .... but only if you have the patients to complete it.

Simple first.... I know, I was that man!   :-)

Spooks' - Robbe Antje II is a definitive answer to what can be done with a simple kit! :o
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=40073.msg400390#msg400390

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:57:56 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:25 am »

Hi Maverick, I have only just seen your post and just asking hows the boat going . I am doing the same Perkasa build as yourself and it,s also my first build and is indeed a baptisam of fire but you do learn a lot along the way.
Dave

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 03:12:18 pm »

welcome to the group, good luck with your build, just take your time and it will be fine :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.