Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The sad decline of the model shop  (Read 79397 times)

rob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Giant Shark...Closed down..
« Reply #125 on: May 31, 2015, 01:25:19 pm »

The end of Model Boats magazine ?
 If the efforts of the 'renewal of yearly subscription team' are anything to go by, they certainly do not want that to happen.
in my own little world

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2015, 01:32:18 pm »

There's always HobbyKing %) or order via one of the many chinese suppliers on ebay, delivery in 10 days! Seriously though, I wonder if this will mean the end of Model Boats magazine? Having said that I hadn't bought a copy for 10 months or so. To me it just seemed they were 'dumbing down' the content. Very basic articles aimed at complete beginners and next to nothing to satisfy the reading needs of seasoned builders.

Brian 56 you must be reading a very different Model Boats magazine  than me .
Bowwave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2015, 01:56:06 pm »

The magazine is doing OK actually. As with all periodicals, subscriptions are worth much more to the publishers than newstrade sales. There is no direct connection with Giant Shark other than that they are both part of the same group of companies. I know nothing about the Giant Shark situation but would be inclined to agree with Dave M that an attempt to retail Chinese products by a UK supplier in direct competition to Chinese based suppliers was an experiment that ultimately didn't work financially. At least GS is being wound down in an orderly manner, current orders are being fulfilled and no one will lose their money.

I also agree with Bowwave re the content of the magazine. In particular, the series on building HMS Daring, has been a masterclass. However, articles from 'seasoned modellers' are always welcome although many people falling into this category are reluctant to contribute so all credit to those that do.

Colin

inertia

« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2015, 01:58:17 pm »

Seriously though, I wonder if this will mean the end of Model Boats magazine?
And just why would that happen? As far as I know there isn't a Chinese alternative to Model Boats available for pennies on E-Bay or direct by mail order from Schenzhen. It would be amusing to read one, judging by the Chinglish instructions I've seen for things!
I'm sorry to have to tell you but the fact that you haven't purchased a copy for getting on for a year probably would not bother MTM too much, let alone cause its imminent demise.  In that time there have been some stunningly good articles and plans - and you've missed them all!  :o
DM

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2015, 02:22:08 pm »

As far as I know ......... one of the first examples of a retail business failing because it has been unable to obtain Chinese-manufactured goods for significantly less than can the customers they were trying to service - even by buying in quantity.
There will be more.
DM

HOR Racing (formerly Head of the River) also closed down recently and they worked out of Hong Kong.
AsTec and Prestwich both sold HOR products.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2015, 11:26:57 pm »

Brian 56 you must be reading a very different Model Boats magazine  than me .
Bowwave

And me, I think Model Boats is an outstanding magazine for beginners and seasoned modellers alike. In particular, Dave Wooley's series on the building of HMS Daring is a real eye opener, especially regarding the detail incorporated into the model, and should be an inspiration to all modellers. For those interested in steam, Richard Simpson's ongoing articles should be compulsory reading - and the list goes on. I won't be cancelling my subscription any time soon.

Peter.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2015, 08:09:26 am »

HOR Racing (formerly Head of the River) also closed down recently and they worked out of Hong Kong.

Working out of HK can be just as bad as working out of the UK.
You're still a middle man just as a UK based importer would be but you have the added headaches of time (and some times language) barriers between the customers and your staff. Chinese companies are now charging the same prices to these HK buyers as they would be to UK ones.

A lot of businesses are now closing down their HK offices and moving them direct into China where possible....which is a bummer as everybody loves a business trip to Honkers, especially as a boat lover!

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »

As a fairly new subscriber to Model Boats mag, i can only agree with Inertia, the on going build of superb models is something i will only aspire to. The workmanship is superb, they do a lot to get newbies into this hobby, showing easy builds etc, this is critical as a lot of the seasoned modelers are getting long in the tooth, see a lot of the pics from Mayhem!!!!!

People coming into modeling are often going the RTR route, no skill no mess!!!! this goes for all models not just boats.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
Hobbystores shops close
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2016, 08:11:10 am »

Hi Guys
So Hobby stores have closed the Enfield, St Albans,
Chelmsford and Watton stores as of last Friday. >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Sad state of affairs

Derek

inertia

Re: Hobby Stores shops close
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:59 am »

I wonder if the staff knew anything about it prior to the vans turning up to empty the shops of stock? I doubt if there's many Hobby Stores left.
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2016, 09:57:47 am »

Important Store Notice

Sadly, and entirely due to the adverse conditions that have affected the model trade over the last few years, the reluctant decision has been taken to close with immediate effect the following store branches: Chelmsford, Enfield, St.Albans, Reading and Watton.

HobbyStores will continue serving all of our loyal customers through our ever growing online store so we would like to take this opportunity to assure all our customers that they will continue to be able to purchase the very best radio control models and products from around the world from Hobbystores. It is not a decision we have taken lightly, but with the momentous changes in retail driven by the growth in web sales, it is the only option to enable Hobbystores to offer the range of products backed by service that the keen modeller needs to enjoy their hobby to the full.

We will continue to offer service, warranty and returns support and will fulfil all existing orders through our website which itself will be moving to a new bespoke home shortly.

http://www.hobbystores.co.uk/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2016, 10:08:12 am »

I used to visit and buy my supplies of modelling merchandise from the Watton store on a regular basis for dolls houses and such.

It was a wonderful place to visit and just browse, and have a look at the myriads of articles on sale, ( some which I had never imagined before,  although I always bought. Even bought male order from them and their service was always super fast and excellent.

It has saddened me that this outlet has closed as it will be missed by local modellers.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2016, 10:28:53 am »

:-)) I know they closed the one in Camden town a couple of years ago,I remember using that one in 1961 when I was an apprentice at Pratt st training centre,we used pop in there in our lunch time and spend our hard earned pennies,I used to look in the window at the Taplin twins and Gannets that were there which no way could I afford one,I had pay in account and save up to buy a boat kit as it was the only way for me to get on the water,great memories of a long time ago..........Ray. :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:57 am »

Hi Guys
I dont think the staff had a clue I heard that a mate of mine was in Enfield store on Tuesday
and Vic the Manager did not say anything.
On Saturday when I looked through the shutters there was stock in the store .

As Enfield is my local shop its a real shame I feel sorry for Vic who has been with them over 20 years.

Ever since Irvine engines took over the company its been going down hill as a model shop
became more like toys are us.

Derek

lakesidebob

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2016, 11:13:33 am »

"What's a shop,Grandad?"..."Well,once upon a time....."....

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2016, 11:45:05 am »

That was my nearest paint supplier (Broomfield/Chelmsford)

A sad state of affairs, I have used that shop on and off since about 1983 when it was RadioActive
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2016, 12:16:32 pm »

Radio Active, Chelsmford - great shop.

Enfield, did that used to be Red Baron Models?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2016, 12:27:09 pm »

Radio Active, Chelsmford - great shop.

Enfield, did that used to be Red Baron Models?

Showing our age now lol
First proper rc car came from there... Tamiya super champ
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:01 pm »

I think the stores are owned by Ripmax.
Destroyer 42

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2016, 12:45:02 pm »

Ripmax created the Hobbystores chain by basically buying up independent shops. Originally they just owned the shop at Camden Town, which was known as Aeronautical Models, and was I believe where Ripmax started. They used to get a lot of end-on-line stock, so it was a good shop to pick-up a bargain back in those pre-internet days.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2016, 01:38:38 pm »

Ripmax created the Hobbystores chain by basically buying up independent shops. Originally they just owned the shop at Camden Town, which was known as Aeronautical Models, and was I believe where Ripmax started. They used to get a lot of end-on-line stock, so it was a good shop to pick-up a bargain back in those pre-internet days.
Bought my first radio from there in the eighties that was a Ripmax made by Fatuba,it was a great shop in its time so sad......Ray. 

Delboy1958

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2016, 02:01:17 pm »

Hi martin
Yes it was Red baron.

Ripmax sold it to Irvine about 5 or 6 years ago.

D

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2016, 02:22:16 pm »

The shop staff knew nothing about it until the morning senior managers came round and asked for the keys to the premises.

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »

Same thing happen to a pub in Wandsworth road,told staff that they were shut for the weekend for redecoration,when they came into work on the Monday they had pulled the pub down which upset a lot of people living round there ,post note to this,the building was a listed grade 2 and had a conservation order on it,the council were not too happy about this as the owners didn't have permission to do this,they have got rebuild the pub using the same materials and got a £50,000 fine,the way some firms treat their staff these days is disgusting and to close down without giving the staff notice is unexceptable....Ray.   

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2016, 03:00:37 pm »

"What's a shop,Grandad?"..."Well,once upon a time....."....

Some weeks ago a lad about 10 yrs old came up  to me and asked what the black stuff was on the deck of my ship. I said, 'Its coal for the boiler' and his reply was (no lie!) 'What's coal?' I just stared at him for half a minute then, patiently, tried to explain what 'coal' was.  %) %) %)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.