Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The sad decline of the model shop  (Read 79410 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Hobbystores shops close
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2016, 04:59:05 pm »

Nothing wrong with component shop, however they have a limited range of equipment, and if the desired item falls outside of that, you need to look elsewhere.

Sometimes that will be on these shores, sometimes it will be overseas.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »

component shop micro LEDs  1.12 pounds so X20 = 22.4 pounds .http://www.componentshop.co.uk/12-v-warm-white-micro-led.html. Plus P/P 2.95 so total is 25.35.
Same LED pre wired from Ebay 4.99 pounds for 20 with Free P/P from china , saving you 20.36 pounds for exactly the same product .
Ok I take the point I will not get it in a few days put I can wait 2 weeks no problem . Just plan your work in advance .

John

Robotnik

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem, it's not too bad
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2016, 08:15:01 pm »

The down side of all this online shopping is the road traffic it generates,in London it is becoming a major problem with thousands of white van delivering parcels everywhere,I live in a cul-de-sac and years ago it was very quiet with little or no traffic, now we get loads of vans down here delivering peoples online purchases,the trouble is that this road is so narrow that we cant get out when there are vans delivering and if you get two or three they have trouble turning round and getting out again......Ray.

Don't worry, in a couple of years you'll hardly see any white vans anymore, the skies will be buzzing with Drones though. :)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:37 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2016, 08:27:37 pm »

There's still one independent shop near us, Geof Stubbs of Oundle.
Goodness knows we how he keeps going.
He's mainly old style  Aero stuff ... anyone know his story, has there been an article about him?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: January 26, 2016, 10:58:56 pm »

As I live on the Isle of Man and only have one shop supplying hobby items everything is difficult to obtain, the shop owner is very helpful but obviously restricted to what can be sold and still return a profit, a general cross section with no particular area covered, with the recent restrictions on postal deliveries this problem has been further compounded.
Internet buying of goods for my hobby model boats has become a way of life, the companies I use on a regular basis are both friendly and offer an excellent service, the one problem that arises on a regular basis is, some UK firms treat the Isle of Man as overseas and charge postage to match, as we are within the Royal Mail system this can be frustrating, I recently attempted to order a small item that would fit into a small jiffy bag and was quoted automatically £5 postage, but!!! credit to the supplier, on contacting him he emailed me back with a reduced price and promised to change the automatic postage rates on his site.
I was as guilty as most, if not all of us, looking for a cheap item only to find the shops that we visit have gone, driven out by excessive High Street rents and overseas purchases reducing the footfall, unfortunately this is only the start and we are masters of our own destiny, the saying "use it or lose it" is very prominent and can only make our hobby much more difficult.
Howard Q

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2016, 11:22:57 pm »

I remember the model shop i used when i started this madness in the mid 60s Ron Jackson was the owner, the shop was on Bar st in Scarborough.
I was an apprentice then so money didn't go far built of plans in them days.If you were building and funds were low mid week he would let you have it on tic and you would square up with him on payday
One lad got a Kraft Gold Medal radio £200 which was a fortune back then on tic
He would not sell you anything if fell you weren't to take that step in your hobby he would not rip you off
Sadly he died  with cancer in the 70s a sad loss I often wonder if paid a visit for a day what he would think
of the advances hobby of rc boats & planes

Robotnik

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem, it's not too bad
Another model shop to close.
« Reply #182 on: March 08, 2016, 10:33:02 pm »

Another model shop closes down, Tooleys in Northampton.

http://www.tooleysrctoys.com/

:((

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another model shop lost, Northampton
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2016, 10:30:40 am »

The Inverness Model Shop has closed too <:( :((  Nearest in Highlands is Dingwall Sports and Model Shop. :-))
..well can you land on this?

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Model shop closure
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2017, 09:28:41 pm »

Hi Gents,
Just to let you all know another model shop has now closed in North Lincolnshire SHERMANS in Scunthorpe closed it's doors on Dec 31st very sad been using it for nearly 40 years.

Regards Howard.

timg

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model shop closure
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2017, 08:48:11 pm »

Hi Howard,

That's sad news

I would pop in the shop if I was working in the area , Fingers crossed we don't lose any more. ..

Spud

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2017, 01:05:52 pm »

The only way that we will not lose more model shops is to patronise them, yes, we may pay slightly more but that is made up by the free advice we need from time to time. nemesis

Dave Cook

• Cookie
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Keep on Rockin
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2017, 06:32:41 pm »

I echo Memesis , Very sad , these guys are trying to make a living in very small margins, i always buy from my local model shop
( 20 miles away) rather than the internet because i get advise and get to look at the goods , and if there are any issues he just
sorts it . LONG LIVE THE MODEL SHOP.

:(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :(( :((

Regards Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2017, 06:48:08 pm »

Quite right but lots of people on here are just pleased with the very low prices they can get from China. They are not willing to spend a bit more to keep the UK trade afloat whether retail or internet/mail order.

Colin

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2017, 06:55:26 pm »

I am lucky having Mantua Models in Windsor just half a mile down the road.  I am probably in there every week, buying paints, materials, and bits where there is never enough info on the internet - you have to actually see it.  Another advantage is that there is a load more they have which isn't on their web site.

Support your local model shop.  Saves on postage fees, and saves waiting till the Post arrives.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2017, 07:28:39 pm »

Quite right but lots of people on here are just pleased with the very low prices they can get from China. They are not willing to spend a bit more to keep the UK trade afloat whether retail or internet/mail order.

Colin

And when said local model shop sells items from China at a big mark up . All people are doing is cutting out the middle men ,no harm in that.

John

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2017, 08:01:03 pm »

But what do people do who are not lucky enough to have a good local Model Shop? I for example used to get my basic supplies from Hobby World [sorry to advertise], however their range of suppliers like paint and plasticard products has declined and now stopped...so my next nearest is probably 30  miles away....so I have to rely on internet now, purely on costs.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

bikerdude999

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2017, 08:02:34 pm »

I am lucky having Mantua Models in Windsor just half a mile down the road.  I am probably in there every week, buying paints, materials, and bits where there is never enough info on the internet - you have to actually see it.  Another advantage is that there is a load more they have which isn't on their web site.

Support your local model shop.  Saves on postage fees, and saves waiting till the Post arrives.

Unfortunately we aren't all that lucky, I do like to go to 1 shop because it's a proper old shop, not even got a til, just a pen and paper, and a draw with the cash in. But, it costs about £3 of fuel to get there and back, so that almost evens out the P&P, and it is predominantly planes, with a few plastic kits on the side. So apart from wood and glue, not a lot of use.

The next nearest shop I know about is a gallon of fuel to get there and back, a pain to find anywhere nearby to park, got 1 or 2 little racks about 18" wide with a few boat bits on (which are low quality and high price). Wood, metal and plasticard is a ridiculous price, and ESC's, batteries etc are significantly dearer.

So as much as I would like to support a local shop, I don't have much choice. I tend to use Cornwall Model Boats, and Always Hobbies. For ESC's I buy the 'EX-Demo' direct from Mtroniks

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2017, 09:25:31 pm »

We are very lucky here in Leeds the model shop is still up and running offering a good service.Good stock levels on all sorts of items good e/mail service.Otley Modelsport just the job for model cars.Airtek hobbies near Huddersfield mainly aircraft but some good deals on one direction speedos The first two have good parking well worth a visit.

Stan

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2017, 10:11:25 pm »

All I am saying is that if you have a model shop nearby then support it, otherwise it may not be there in the future.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: January 04, 2017, 10:17:43 pm »

HI Bob have to agree. Use them or loose them.

Stan.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2017, 02:44:49 am »

I agree that we should support our local model shop,( mine is a 40min drive away) but when you go into your local shop and ask for boat parts and you get a reply sorry do not do boat parts, as there are so few of you it is not worth us stocking any parts but I can sell you RTR boat.

Ask for any rod or strip over 12" long, you get sorry do not do it as it takes to long to resort it after some one has put it back in the wrong place,

Now if I was into Train's - Planes - Helicopter's or Car's then they would bend over back words for me.

So you see for me the Webb is the only way to go.

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2017, 01:32:36 pm »

And when said local model shop sells items from China at a big mark up . All people are doing is cutting out the middle men ,no harm in that.

John

ALL products are sold at a mark-up, that's how the shop earns money to stay open. Along the way they take the risk of stocking stuff that might not sell, having it to hand so we don't need to wait for shipping and offering advice and assistance.

Cutting out the middle man is fine if you are happy to see the demise of the model shop. Just don't complain when the middle man isn't around to sort out problems and the man in China couldn't care less about you.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2017, 06:40:17 pm »

ALL products are sold at a mark-up, that's how the shop earns money to stay open. Along the way they take the risk of stocking stuff that might not sell, having it to hand so we don't need to wait for shipping and offering advice and assistance.

Cutting out the middle man is fine if you are happy to see the demise of the model shop. Just don't complain when the middle man isn't around to sort out problems and the man in China couldn't care less about you.

Spot on mate :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »

You do get a better class of insult from our local shop.
Not had a coffee in a long time so customer service is not as good as it was.
1 possible saving grace is that unbuiltnautilus does have a grasp of the basics and you can get some good advice almost free of charge.

Wouldn't swap a face-to-face over the counter chat for purely internet shopping.
I look on it more as a social exercise keeping him off the streets and secure behind the shop door.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.