Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One or Two Esc's  (Read 2231 times)

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
One or Two Esc's
« on: October 13, 2013, 07:11:12 pm »

at present running 3 motors on one Esc querying as to whether using  2 Esc's would /could make an improvement of any kind.  Motors unknown esc 50a

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: One or Two Esc's
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 08:02:44 pm »

Using three motors on one Esc unit is not a good idea as the current drawn could be excessive.

It's always best to have separate Esc's which can then be fused separately.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 10:12:36 pm »

Running three motors on two ESC's could be tricky, ie. 2 & 1 etc.

You could use one ESC on each of the outer motors and switch the middle motor by a switch or 3rd channel, for full speed....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »

hi there; as has already been stated previously - it isnt a good idea to run 3 motors from one speed controller.   It has a few disadvantages, one of the main ones is if each motor isnt fused independely before the speed controller and the prop fouls up; you will take the 3 motors out plus your speed controller and your model will be stuck in the middle of the lake.  The idea of running the 2 outboard motors through 2 independent speed controllers and switching the centre motor on and off; is a good idea but it also has its drawbacks.  The main drawback is the heavy amp switch which has to be used to switch the main power to your centre motor on and off.   It can be done by using a heavy amp relay as well but this is another more complicated method and keeps it away from the keep it simply syndrome.  Gone are the days when you could tamper with the input signal to the speed controller from your RX with a switch thus enabling you to switch the speed controller off and on without any need of any heavy amp switching gear - due to the fact that all modern day speed controllers pre-programme themselves before start up.   However, there is a 3rd alternative - the only drawback is that you need 3 speed controllers and a unit from ACTion electronics called the P40 D.    The P40 D is a mixer which mixes your rudder movement with your 2 outboard props so, if you turn the board, the inboard prop slows down enabling a tighter turn but there is also a plug on that unit for a 3rd centre motor which is controlled by your throttle stick movement regardless of the 2 outboard motor throttle settings.
Aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:36:27 pm »

OK first and fivemost  the boat has a 25A fuse twixt Batts and Esc and each motor indvidually fused @ 16a all works fine I am asking if  it would work Finer  with seperate  Esc's particularly as to ther claims of control. Mine is a cheap and nasty  50 chinese Amps type  . I dont fancy only switching the  3rd on when needed.
I already run a Wiesel which is 3 motors   2x 1Esc and 1x1 no prob and all screws turn same way, as they should I believe in the PT boats although mine is  2 one way 1 t'other
 The mixer business I am considering as already have the 94 in my Tug though my skills  may well   prevent venturing there but ACTion has gone has it not?
Thanks to all for their input
Jay

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 08:06:23 pm »

ACTion has NOT gone at all far form it.Yes it is True that Dave Milbourne has retired BUT he has SOLD the business to COMPONENT shop and ACTion is going form strength to strength

Dave

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:23 pm »

Oh good
Cheers
Dave
Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.