Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT PROP  (Read 1799 times)

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
WHAT PROP
« on: October 19, 2013, 07:30:44 am »

:-)) Hi,everybody I am about to build a Krick Victoria river launch powered by a Clyde steam power plant and  was wondering what prop would be suitable for this set up, the boat is 1.1cm long so is quite a large model,I was thinking along the lines of a 65m/m to 70m/m 4 blade prop,if anyone has any idea's please let me know,happy modelling,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: WHAT PROP
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:42:59 am »

:-)) Hi,everybody I am about to build a Krick Victoria river launch powered by a Clyde steam power plant and  was wondering what prop would be suitable for this set up, the boat is 1.1cm long so is quite a large model,I was thinking along the lines of a 65m/m to 70m/m 4 blade prop,if anyone has any idea's please let me know,happy modelling,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   

Hi Sparkey
Cannot help you re prop size, but I think you had a typo - maybe 1.1 mtrs long ?  %)

Good luck on your search

Mike

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 12:44:44 pm »

:-)) Oh dear silly me I mean't 110cms not 1.1cms going daft in my old age,Ray. :-)) :-)) :-))
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:34:05 pm »

The key is the pitch you need the prop to do some work or you get the advantage from the steam.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 02:14:55 pm »

You want the largest diameter 3 or 4 blade prop you can squeeze in and the largest pitch the engine will swing. This will reduce the RPM of the engine to a minimum and so reducing the steam consumption and getting the most out of the steam you do use. Am not familiar with the performance of your engine but a few peeps on here will know. However I would say at lease 4" pitch and maybe even  as much as 6". Propshop will make you one to order.
Jerry.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:01:59 pm »

I think Jerry C has it, however I would go for a 3 blade with the 6" pitch. A use full hint: get a load of cheap plasic (yuk) props, find which one works best then go for the final brass one. The prop as you will know is the all important bit (on any boat) so do lots of testing to get the best results.
Steamed up all the time

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 01:34:00 am »

Sparkey........if the Clyde engine is as per attachment [11 bore x 11 stroke = higher speed & lower torque oscillator]........I would be inclined to ask the manufacturer what is the max sized prop for this engine......
To my untrained eye  :embarrassed: ...any x" diameter x 6" pitch three blade propeller may be asking too much for such an engine........Derek  :o
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.