Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shroud material  (Read 9760 times)

guitar man

• Full Mayhemer
shroud material
« on: May 30, 2013, 08:20:50 pm »

Hi all
I am now going to show my lack of knowledge  :embarrassed: Can shroud lines be either wire or chord, if so, is it choice or to do with boats weight or something else altogether i.e sail size. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but any explanation will be appreciated. Many thanks in advance for any comments

As always kind Regards Tony

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
Re: shroud material
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »

Shrouds are best made from either a fine single strand wire or multi strand wire what you don't want is string or any type of line as that will stretch which is what you don't want to happen with shrouds

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:51:08 pm »

many of my larger yachts have dyema cord for the shroud lines , with a bowsie to adjust the tension on them !

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:38:10 pm »

Hi Tony.
 Depends if the mast is keel or deck stepped.  keel stepped I use cotton brickes chalk line as the mast is supported by the keel step and the deck so what if the shroud stretches a bit, just pull the bowsie along a bit so where`s the problem. 
 Deck stepped.  you need the steel wire as the mast has no support except the shrouds as the step is only the mast locating spot.  You will need rigging screws with the hook at one end to go into the shroud plate to tension the wire. On the mast side the wire would be crimped.
Upped a pic to give you an visual idea.
  Frank   

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:58:20 pm »

Hi all
I am now going to show my lack of knowledge  :embarrassed: Can shroud lines be either wire or chord, if so, is it choice or to do with boats weight or something else altogether i.e sail size. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but any explanation will be appreciated. Many thanks in advance for any comments

As always kind Regards Tony

Tony, you have not indicated what size the boat is, what type of sailing boat, also the intended use of the boat. This will vary the answer somewhat.

Static models can of course use something that resembles the original rope, often coloured to suit.

Smaller sailboats (say up to one metre) can and do quite successfully use Spectra or Dyneema with bowsies for tensioning. For boats larger than one metre, wire rigging is recommended as it is more reliable and not subject to stretching.

As far the use - if you have a racing boat (eg IOM) that requires accurate sail adjustment and will sail in strong weather then wire rigging is strongly recommended.

Wire rigging is also useful if you are rigging the boat pondside, as it makes it much easier to rig the boat with things in the same position each time.

My personal preferences - for boats one metre and less - I use 100-200 pound Dyneema, available cheap on eBay - I use the heavier breaking strain as it makes the lines easier to handle. Shrouds are adjusted using bowsies made from plastic or aluminium. For my larger boat (a 1.8 metre A Class weighing 15kg all up) I have used all single strand wire rigging with adjustable stainless hooks.

Cheap Dyneema from eBay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DYNEEMA-MAXX-POWER-4-strands-braided-PRO-BRAID-Fishing-Line-GRAY-100M-6lb-100lb-/271075398245?var=570117848006

Wire rigging supplies I have sourced from here:
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com/categories/RIGGING-%28CORD%7B47%7DWIRE%29/Wire/

The Kwik Twist hand tool is expensive but makes a really nice job

Amateur at work...

guitar man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:25:59 am »

Thanks for the replies so far

Mr penguin sorry I should have said the hull is a metre long and the sail is a height of 45 inch the boat is intended to sail but for enjoyment only no racing or such.

Frank that is a nice looking rigging screw any idea were you got from
 Kind regards Tony

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:54:47 pm »

I have used these rigging screws on my A Class - they are excellent
https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustralia.com/products/Rigging-Screw%2C-Single-End-M3-Thread-Dia.--Part-%23-030%252d030-.html

They are probably overkill for a 1 metre boat in my opinion.

Amateur at work...

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 02:31:30 pm »

Hello,
Rigging Screws and anything else you would need for a One Metre boat, from an Expert!.
Try    http://www.housemartinsails.co.uk/hullfittingsa.html
John,  :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 04:24:53 pm »

Hello,
Rigging Screws and anything else you would need for a One Metre boat, from an Expert!.
Try    http://www.housemartinsails.co.uk/hullfittingsa.html
John,  :-))
I agree, Martin is a first class bloke I had all my IOM sails rigging fixings etc. from him.
and he would make sure you are fitted out with the correct parts
for your needs.

john

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 12:46:39 pm »

Hi, go and visit your local fishing tackle shop, you may find all you need there as regards to rigging cord and fittings. Nemesis

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 02:33:55 pm »

Hi,

The plastic covered wire from a bait shop is the go.

Regards

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 09:52:46 pm »

Lots of good suggestions - I think a lot of this comes down to personal taste as much as function.
On my boats of 900mm to 1 Meter I have come to standardize using a nylon coated 1 x 7 strand SS (fishing) leader (30 lb. test) using matching crimping sleeves are connected to SS rigging screws from Sailsetc.com model #30.030 Mrpenguin's picture shows the #30.035 which is just slightly larger.

I am sure there are many brands of leader around the globe and don't think one brand is significantly better than another I use Surflon because that is what my local tackle shop stocks. I use the "bright" finish. Looks great in the sun light. I've tried heavier test but found the 30 lb. test was easier to use and fits nicely through the spreaders.

Posted a few images that may be of interest. The rigging screws as pointed out, make mast tear down and set up a snap. Tuning is made easier as well. The use of double locking nuts permit you lock in you set up each time you sail. Plus this combination yields a strong, non-stretch shroud arrangement that looks great too.

Boomer

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 08:34:47 am »

Hi,
I am setting up the Marblehead to use the new Spectra line.
Regards

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 10:25:17 am »

Because of my scale sail models I use Dacron, it is a non-stretch cord. It is braided and looks more natural on some scale sail models as it will dye. It also ties nicely around and through dead eyes. As a result of spool sizes I have a surplus for other models.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 08:47:45 pm »

Boomer,

Great suggestions in your post. One question: have you found any local suppliers or hardware stores who carry similar turnbuckles/rigging screws like those from SAILSetc? Really like their products, but would love to have options stateside as to not have to wait for  yet one more item to be shipped and keeping the build delayed.

Thanks!

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:47 pm »

Boomer,

Great suggestions in your post. One question: have you found any local suppliers or hardware stores who carry similar turnbuckles/rigging screws like those from SAILSetc? Really like their products, but would love to have options stateside as to not have to wait for  yet one more item to be shipped and keeping the build delayed.

Thanks!
[/quot

You can get them from Midwest Model Yachting.  His item is #130. He is a sailsetc dealer. He is a little more expensive being a dealer. I buy from sailsetc direct and have had good service from them. Midwest has been good as well.
Boomer

Saylee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 01:54:45 am »

Thanks for the tip! Good to know there are options. Time to do a quick price check and see what comes up.

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 07:31:30 am »

if you buy wire from a tackle shop you can get packets and they come with crimps,saves messing about.....tony

tiaki

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 07:06:03 pm »

Hi,
 After using stainless steel tracer for several years on Marblehead yachts I have converted to Dacron for all my yachts from 1.6meter to RG 65 lengths. A lot simpler, a lot cheaper and no threat of kinks in the cables. I've yet to see Dacron stretch and do use fingernail polish on all the knots as a Loctite, the colour is dependant on the better halves discards!
Cheers

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2013, 09:10:53 pm »

Hi,
 After using stainless steel tracer for several years on Marblehead yachts I have converted to Dacron for all my yachts from 1.6meter to RG 65 lengths. A lot simpler, a lot cheaper and no threat of kinks in the cables. I've yet to see Dacron stretch and do use fingernail polish on all the knots as a Loctite, the colour is dependant on the better halves discards!
Cheers

I have never experienced anything close to a kink in a the SS leader I've used. As far as it being expensive, the brand I have been using is really not expensive at all. As I stated earlier, it is really more a personal preference. It is not for everyone, but I like the results I've had over the years so I stay with it.  :-))
Boomer

tiaki

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 06:07:23 pm »

Your cable may not be "expensive"  Boomer, but you conveniently forgot the sum total of all the over ancillary fittings required to make it work. You can't beat some Dacron, bowsie and stainless hook for cost. If you are handy enough to make the bowsie and hook then there's a big difference, KISS is the way.
Cheers

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 06:40:54 pm »

All a matter of personal choice, and to a degree availability.
KISS has been the underlying principle during my career in design, and I use a variety of materials on my rigging, to suit the application,  ease of transport and pond side rigging
All on probably, the smallest budget around
Enjoy your chosen hobby with like minded friends

cheers
vnkiwi   :-))

If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 08:58:43 pm »

Your cable may not be "expensive"  Boomer, but you conveniently forgot the sum total of all the over ancillary fittings required to make it work. You can't beat some Dacron, bowsie and stainless hook for cost. If you are handy enough to make the bowsie and hook then there's a big difference, KISS is the way.
Cheers

KISS is good for sure no question!  But as I said, it is a matter of personal choice/taste/budget. I am retired now and spending habits for me are a bit different than in my working days.  I like most, like to find the best values for my money, but don't feel the cost of the hardware it takes to set up a few my RC sailboats with SS leader and SS rigging screws to be extravagant. At this point - it works for me. :-))
If you want extravagance you should check out my lovely wife's closet!  O0 Now that's another subject all together.  <:( 
Compared to the hobbies of my youth - RC sailing is about the best bang for my "bucks" yet.
It's all good!
Boomer :-)

After 43 years together, I have accepted my circumstances.  %%
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.