Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torpedoes  (Read 2449 times)

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Torpedoes
« on: August 24, 2013, 05:57:15 pm »

Hi Guys,

I need your thoughts!!!

Anyone got any ideas as to what colour torpedoes are?

Every where I look I see something different....

I'm specifically looking for Italian WW11 but I guess they are fairly generic

Looking forward to you thoughts
Regards
longshanks

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Torpedoes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:33:26 pm »

Mostly black methinks.
Harder to see.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 10:08:02 pm »

Colours vary from: Black, dark green, light blue (med colour, sunlight penetrates deeper so a dark object is easily seen while the light blue makes it difficult), brass head (explosive part) and silver body, grey, grey with a mottled motif, there was even a white/red practice torpedo for aircraft drops, the torpedo was lighter and floated and was none functioning, it was designed so that the pilots could access the accuracy in a certain area from differing heights. Depends on what you're making and what theatre it operated in.

Si:)
My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

eddiesolo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Shiver me timbers...I've spilt me glue!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:10:30 am »

Just re-read your post about the Italian WWII torpedoes. I would be tempted to go for a standard colour scheme: Black nose about a third of the way down and the rest a grey or grey/light blue with brass/bronze prop.

Just a bit of trivia: The Japanese was so impressed with the Italian 'Fiume' torpedo it had a slimmer head so could go around 2 knots faster that they copied the design.

My models are not nice, clean and ship-shape. They be mucky, grubby, rusty and smelly.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:19:11 pm »

I was watching a black and white film on the TV showing a U Boat loading a Torpedo, although there was no colour you could clearly see it had a high glaze /varnish finish of a light colour. The British Mk8's had a turquoise metallic varnish finish, the practice ones had a florescent orange and the live ones had a yellow or black painted warheads. The Mk 20's had a light grey finish.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 08:01:11 am »

Thanks for your thoughts !

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 06:51:24 pm »

Just to add to the trivia, the Japanese 23 inch torps in the last war were a British design, which the Admiralty would not take up because of the cost of converting all our ships to the larger size, but the Japs did between the wars. Which meant when the Exeter and the others engaged them they thought that they were hitting mines, not that the Jap destroyers were having a turkey shoot with the greater range 23 inch torpedoes. Also the Belgrano was taken out by Mk 8 mod 4 torpedoes, because the Mk24/Tiger fish was too unreliable.

Pondweed

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 04:43:05 pm »

Colours vary from: Black, dark green, light blue (med colour, sunlight penetrates deeper so a dark object is easily seen while the light blue makes it difficult), brass head (explosive part) and silver body, grey, grey with a mottled motif, there was even a white/red practice torpedo for aircraft drops, the torpedo was lighter and floated and was none functioning, it was designed so that the pilots could access the accuracy in a certain area from differing heights. Depends on what you're making and what theatre it operated in.

Surely bronze head?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.