Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seaport - new conversion  (Read 4697 times)

DocPL

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Seaport - new conversion
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:53:03 pm »

Hi All
My first post here so I would like to say Hello to everyone.
I bought Seaport/Dickie tug to serve as rescue boat for my R/C sailboats. I decided to swap original battery for 6V 4AH gel-cell. And I have one question how do you charge this batteries. Is it possible to charge that battery with Eco Six balance charger from Hobby King or should I use something else ?
Thanks in advance

DocPL

• Shipmate
Re: Seaport - new conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:44:34 pm »

Sorry for double post but I didn,t know how to edit first post.
Some pictures on my conversion - still WIP.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:26:29 pm »

How cool good is that?!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:28:53 pm »

Very nice little tug that you've made   :-)) , there appears to be a  multitude of possibilities achievable from these.

HawkEye
I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

tugboattam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 07:18:31 pm »

Go on to ebay and search for 6v charger, loads of them.

Chameo

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:57:49 am »

Nice conversion! I'm still working on mine...

Of course you can charge your 6V gel-cell with an ECO SIX charger! Select the Pb programm, choose the correct voltage and you're done.

DocPL

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 05:43:11 pm »

Hi again.
Parts that I used: are shown on the picture:

- 1x Hobby King 6 channel TX with RX
 - 1x servo TOWER PRO MG-945R (rudder)
 - 1x RC Smart 110A/40A reverse 6-12V ECC for brushed electric motors
 - 1x 6V 4.5Ah UPS SLA gel battery
 - 1 x balsa playwood 2,5mm x 1000 x 100 mm(superstructure top deck, doors, mis parts)
 - 1x metal pipe fi 25mm lenght 9cm (works as funnel cut from old metal table leg)
 - Aluminium tube fi 8mm (crane mast)
 - 6 rivets (crane arm)
 - 5mm perspex cut to various shapes for ECC and servo housing
 - 2 x 3 position on-off-on switches
 - 2 mm pushrod (for rudder servo and crane arm)
 - Electric connectors (3 x Tamyia, 1 x Futaba)
 - Smoke generator (homemade manufacrured for tank models, designated for 7,2V but works well on 6V)
 - Crew from Italieri 1:35 set No5611 M.A.S Crew and accesories (work in progress)
 - Paints: Superstructure RAL 1014 Ivory glossy, Deck RAL 6002 leaf green glossy, Funnel RAL 3000 flame red glossy, hull/funnel (upper part) RAL 9005 deep
black glossy, Mast/hull (lower part) Rusty Red RAL 3009, Funnel and all white parts pure white matt RAL 9010
Hull of the tug was sanded than painted with 3 layers of primer than painted with rusty red (bottom) and mat black (top)
waterline was painted with white matt paint, on top of that I put two layers of clear paint. Superstructure was cut as on pictures.
I used original motor, it gives enough power for the boat and it keeps scale speed. I left original main shaft and propeller (I painted propeller with
brass looking spray). I had some problems with engine mount because it is quite fragile and I broke one fitting. I had to repair it with epoxy and
fiberglass (spare from sailboats).
With the perspex I made housings for ECC, battery and switches, rudder servo, smoke generator and RX. This time I tried to do something nice (usually I
don't pay so much attention to somethink that is uncovered under deck) so it was sanded and painted (RAL 3009). Top of the mast was done with old brush. I
bought Door with Porthole - White plastic, left hand 36x17mm and covered hole from original power switch. I also bought Rope Bow Fender 80mm for the bow. I
plan to use original crane for Southampton/Atlantic tug model so I decided to make replacement one with alu pipe, metal snap with 2mm pushrod and some
rivets as you can see on the pictures rivets were stripet from alu cores and put onto pushrod (there was some space inside so I managed to hide rope
inside). Hook was made with swivel from my fishing rod.
Well I bought this toy to have rescue boat for sailboats, but when I looked on the conversions presented on this Forum I had to do something more than
simply change RX/TX and servo. Unfortunately it is very addictive, so I spend some time working on my tug. I plan to make another conversion with my son,
he liked this tug so much that he wants one for Christmas - he decided that if by a chance ;-) I manage to buy one more, we would convert it to Fairplay II
white/blue tug as in dancing tugs wideo on youtube. In fact I bought two tugs but ssssh it is a secret.
Today I decided to chenge superstructure colors. I started to dislike Ivory color of lower part of superstructure so I repainted it with Rusty Red (RAL
3009). I like it much more than prevoious color.
Pictures :

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.