Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build notes wanted for Starlet  (Read 7471 times)

Startmo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Build notes wanted for Starlet
« on: October 30, 2013, 07:38:06 pm »

Can anyone let me have a photocopy of the build notes for Vic Meeds Starlet pond yacht as published in Model Boats back in the 60/70s. I have received plans but would welcome a copy of the build article.

With thanks

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Build notes wanted for Starlet
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:16:22 am »

For Info
The Starlet build was over a few issues from the records I have
December 1966  With Plan
January 1967
February 1967
March 1967
April 1967

I need to check if I have them..

Startmo

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 03:21:16 am »

Thank you LB for your helpful response. Clearly if you were able to help me I would happily reimburse you for copying costs and postage.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you again.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:04:29 pm »

Hi,
  Further to Longbuilds post, a well known model yachter, Bob Jeffries, ran a series in the Jan-april 71 editions of RCM&E magazine on an "Introduction to RC yachting".  This used the Starlet as a basis and is well worth getting hold of if you can, particularly the Feb edition which contains details of the worthwhile improvements that he made. While this was particularly based around the electronics of the time, he did increase the size of the rudder by about 50% and increased the size of the keel fin .
 My father and I were inspired by the article and built the Starlet with the improvements as our first boat with RC ( McGregor Codamatic single channel !) . We later upgraded to Horizon 2 channel proportional and had many happy hours sailing. Still have it tucked away awaiting a winter refurb.

If you can't find the original Model Boat issues, the details were reprinted in a paperback A4 booklet entitled "Simple Model Yachts" by Vic Smeed which occasionally comes up on Ebay. I have a copy somewhere, if I can find it, I would quite happily photocopy it for you. Up until 2010, Model Boats not only sold the plans but copies of the magazine articles from 66/67. They were A4 copies of the double pages of the magazines , so were quite small copies. I have set of these somewhere but MB do not appear to still print these.

Startmo

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 08:01:23 pm »

Hi Spearfish99

Thank you for your very informative post. A Starlet popped up on EBay over the weekend but it was in very poor condition and included a missing broken off keel. The cost of shipping was nearly as much as the boat so I shan't be making a bid.

As mentioned in an earlier post I now have a copy of the plan and I believe I can buy a set of laser cut formers from Bixlair kits. If you were able to copy me any build notes that would be very much appreciated. I think the heritage behind your own Starlet is wonderful - good luck with the restoration and don't ever sell it !

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:17:22 pm »

The kit of CNC parts looks a reasonable starting point , especially at the price

http://www.belairkits.com/detail.asp?id=873
 See that there is one on Ebay at present, been on several times but has not sold. Perhaps not a surprise starting at £275

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vic-Smeed-Starlet-Kelper-Radio-Control-Model-Sailing-Yacht-With-Stand-/300526602643?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item45f8c80993

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 09:38:02 pm »

Hi Spearfish99

Thank you for your very informative post. A Starlet popped up on EBay over the weekend but it was in very poor condition and included a missing broken off keel. The cost of shipping was nearly as much as the boat so I shan't be making a bid.

As mentioned in an earlier post I now have a copy of the plan and I believe I can buy a set of laser cut formers from Bixlair kits. If you were able to copy me any build notes that would be very much appreciated. I think the heritage behind your own Starlet is wonderful - good luck with the restoration and don't ever sell it !

not forgotten just trying to find the print I did   :-))

Startmo

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »

Thanks LB and S99. It's good to know there's help out there !

Startmo

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 10:15:12 pm »

Just discovered Plan B in the form of the all new 'Star Baby' the little sister to 'Starlet' 700mm in length compared to 'Starlet' at 880mm.

http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/16215/star-baby-laser-cut-woodpack

Could be a quick build.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:16:43 am »

Just discovered Plan B in the form of the all new 'Star Baby' the little sister to 'Starlet' 700mm in length compared to 'Starlet' at 880mm.

http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/16215/star-baby-laser-cut-woodpack

Could be a quick build.

I like that. I have a local model yacht club that sails on a pond in a local park courtesy of the Council. The lake is only about 11" deep on average so rules out using either the Starlet or Panache that I have . One of these could be the answer.

Startmo

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:47 pm »

Decisions, decisions ................. anyway I've gone ahead and ordered plans and laser cut parts for 'Star Baby'. I am confident that this little boat, around 700mm length, with it's swept back keel, will cope quite well with weedy conditions.

I'll try and post a picture or two of the build process though I shan't be rushing as I will regard this as a winter project to be completed at a leisurely pace in the warmth indoors.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 12:48:19 pm »

Decisions, decisions ................. anyway I've gone ahead and ordered plans and laser cut parts for 'Star Baby'. I am confident that this little boat, around 700mm length, with it's swept back keel, will cope quite well with weedy conditions.

Hi Startmo,

I ordered the plan from Traplet yesterday, just to have a look. Just received a phone call from them asking if I would like a copy of the magazine with the original build article to go with it for an extra £3.95, so have gone for that as well. Might be worthwhile.

Startmo

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 03:56:19 am »

Hi Spearfish99

I have sent you a PM

Startmo

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:54:27 am »

Well thanks to full mayhemer hmsantrim (aka Frank) I am now the owner of a Starlet that just requires a rig and sails to complete - thanks Frank, your help is very much appreciated.

So work will continue on building 'Baby Star' which will be delivered by Father Christmas to my great grandson Theo - crikey I'd better get my skates on !  This is my first boat build project for nearly 50 years so wish me luck !!!

This will be followed by the rigging of Starlet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.