Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood Working Lathe ?  (Read 5980 times)

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
Wood Working Lathe ?
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:10 am »

Hi Guys,

My partner has now built a couple of tugs, sailing yawl and a classic motor boat all from kits but often scratch builds bits that he wants to improve and as Santa is scratching his head for a useful present I thought a modellers wood working lathe might be an idea.

Is the Mantua Wood Working Lathe 8160 with Transformer a good idea? Cornwall Model Boats offer one in the right sort of price bracket.

Any advice much appreciated %)

Eve

[/size]

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Wood Working Lathe ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:27:01 am »

As ever it depends what he does and your budget. Wood turning lathes probably won't be good for much else.
I have a Unimat 1 which is a 6in1 that can do wood turning and a whole bunch of other operations too, but it'd be about 4x the price.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:37:34 am »

You're going to be hard pressed to find a metal working lathe for under 200 gbp and for usefulness the metal working lathe would be better.  As he could do wood turning on it but can't turn metal on a wood turning lathe. 
This said I'm certain he'll be delighted with any kind of a lathe especially as a gift, I know I would be.  So go on, get it for him!
At the very least you'll end end up with some nice turned ornaments.
Funnily enough once he has a lathe he's bound to find jobs he can do with it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:13:37 am »

Thanks Plague and TailUK for your replies - appreciate what you're saying. He loves wood and not really a metal man but I understand where you are coming from. I know lathes are expensive precision tools and really just wondered if this Mantua lathe would be considered as a useful tool or it's limitations frowned upon!   %)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:23:07 am »

To be honest, having had a closer look at the lathe as advertised it does look a little toy like.  Mantua is a big name in wooden boat models and it's fair to suggest that as long as it's used within the instructions it'll do what it says it will. 

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 12:10:33 pm »

The most useful and appreciated tool my wife bought me was my Dremel rotary tool, she got it for me for our first Christmas together, if he hasn't already got one that would be my suggestion.
Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:20:04 pm »

Hi Eve

I would agree with TailUK about the Mantua lathe. In my experience, tools like this operating from a 12 volt transformer don't have much "oomph". (The transformer would need to be very chunky to deliver the same amps as a battery.)

My experience (such as it is) is with metal-working and I have never owned or used Proxxon tools but, if I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider the Proxxon DB250. It costs a bit more (£125 + £2.10 p&p from Amazon) but Proxxon have a good reputation. Hopefully others on the forum who have more experience will give you further advice.

Mike

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:24:06 pm »

Yes thanks Phil he already has a Dremel but thanks for the suggestion.

TailUK - toy was the word I was looking for but didn't want to offend anyone!! I think I will think again, we're going to the Model Boat Show in Leamington Spa so maybe I will be inspired there.

Thanks  ;)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 12:50:24 pm »

Have a look at this:

http://www.peatol.com/

If it is within your price range it is well worth considering. It can be used for wood and metal turning, can be bought as a basic item and collect the extras for following xmas's and birthdays!

I have one and love it, having used for small wood items and various things right up to a steam engine.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

KenP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is theBest!
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 02:15:45 pm »

I have a mantua lathe but it has its limitations.
Its OK for turning small items, barrels, round supports etc. However it is not at all good for shaping longish yards ie for period sailing boats.
The yards get to be too long for the lathe and if you feed them through the chuck they tend to whip around.
kenP

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 03:36:07 am »

You can buy a 6" wood lathe, that sits on a benchtop, from about GBP150. That way, if you desire, you can turn household items as well. The cheap ones are usually more than enough for the hobbyist, and can do the small stuff too.
Remember to budget for turning chisels.

The Mantua would probably be a disappointment. It says you can turn things up to 900mm long, but turning a mast is not easy due to flexing on long thin pieces. I make masts and spars by hand, it is easier and quicker than it sounds.

I have a set of hobby mini-tools, and to be honest I have found them to be a bit of a waste of money.

If you have a specific budget, get some 'real' tools for the money. The dremel idea is a good one, but again I find I rarely use mine. The most useful tools I have bought are
#1 superstar product the Permagrit Tools (any of them), they also do a set small tools in a tool roll for around GBP 50. I have used these for furniture as well as models.
#2 Japanese  hand saws. I love these, they cut very fine, very quickly and accurately. Prices from about GBP10-50 for different types and qualities.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 09:57:40 am »

Thanks guys for all your advice - glad I asked the question - Another new pair of slippers it is then!!  ok2 ok2

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 04:43:46 pm »

What many fail to realise is that whatever "Machinery" you buy, you will spend at least the same amount in tooling.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »

Ha! I think I have probably spent three times as much on tools than I did on the machines!

Another Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.