Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: can anyone id this model  (Read 14656 times)

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: can anyone id this model
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 11:04:56 pm »

Andy & all,
nicely researched.
Thanks for the link's.
I've actually been to the museum in Lyttleton, and photographed the remains, the model and the engine, with a view to drawing it all up in the future.
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 11:07:07 pm »

Stavros does yours handle ok with out it? if the boat doesn't need it that's fine with me its less work lol.

Stavros

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 11:13:28 pm »

Yes it does it is a straight runner and tbh with you it goes really really well handling the chop very well,seriously I can not see a problem with it at all

Dave

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 12:45:07 am »

ok I took straight runner to mean it does fine as long as you don't try to take turns at more than a slow crawl I am glad it doesn't need it.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 06:08:09 am »

Dave,

That raises a good point.

Am under the misapprehension that a straight runner refers to those 'fast' boats that are generally launched into the water with engine at full speed and run in a straight line as the rudder is fixed dead ahead.

However does straight runner also mean a craft that is very, very, fast going straight ahead but still able to manoeuvre.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

PICKETBOAT

• PICKETBOAT
  • Full Mayhemer
  • "History in the making"
    • Chylds Hall Model Shipyard
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 09:45:47 am »

Hazegry

The physics of model boat building is that the smaller the model the greater the stability problem (generally). My 1/48th scale TB sails and handles very well even winning a club steering trophy (much to my surprise). It has no additional keel, but I pruned every last gram off the deck weight using vac formings and lightweight plastic fittings rather than readily available white metal fittings, for everything on deck.

If your model is going to be 6 feet long, sailing and stability should not be a problem. Put all heavy stuff, batteries motors (probably including a shed load of ballast on a model that big) as low in the hull as it will go. Don't make the torpedoes heavy unless you want problems. Aluminium tube might be good. The model aircraft guys have the right idea when they talk about "building the lightness in". Take a leaf out of their books when you are dealing with all construction above the waterline, and it will sail realistically. 

Good luck and I look forward to seeing a thread based on it's build. 

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 06:19:17 pm »

Quote from: PICKETBOAT link=topic=41319.msg415955#msg415955 date=1358502347
Good luck and I look forward to seeing a thread based on it's build.  [/quote

Me too. I hope you start it with the research for the guys who missed this thread. It should make a fine model.

Dave

Hey, I have only just realised you aren't in Norfolk UK  {-)

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 07:15:03 pm »

lol yeah Norfolk in the states I almost wish I did live over there you guys seem to have more active clubs over there than we do here  {:-{

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 08:49:29 pm »

If ya did we would have to call you a Pommie  O0  instead of a Yank  O0    {-) {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 12:44:54 am »

well it took a while but I just ordered the plans from www.myhobbystore.co.uk I am hoping to get started on this one soon.

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 03:15:39 am »

Wife says the plans made it to the house so as soon as I am home I can start looking into sizes for the boat and get started with it.

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 02:47:04 am »

plans are here I thought there would be more to them but I guess not its not a big deal theres enough there to build it. I will look at the scale and figure out what scale I am going to build it in tomorrow.

victorian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 09:07:24 pm »

I've had the privelege of visiting the Lytlleton museum. It's hard to find, and you have to call up a volunteer attendant to get access. But it's truly fascinating. In the museum is a photograph of the ship lying derelict on the beach, still intact, before she was bulldozed to smithereens after the war. Standing in the conning tower in the photo is a little boy.

While I was talking to the volunteer curator, the door opened and another (unexpected) visitor arrived. This gentleman explained that he was visiting from Australia but that he had grown up in Lyttleton. Indeed, he said, he was the little boy in the photo and produced a faded snap of the same image from his wallet to prove it!

It turned out that he was a model builder and that he had been comissioned to produce a model of one of the Australian boats. Two of these have survived and he showed us photos of one of them being dragged from a swamp, intact if thoroughly corroded, for preservation.

And then he told us an even more surprising story. His mother had been a Lyttleton girl and she told him a tale that she re-told all her life of how she had seen Lady Scott saying good bye to her husband on the deck of the Terra Nova in Lyttleton harbour. She described the pink dress that Lady Scott wore and indeed you can see the same scene in the 1948 colour film 'Scott of the Antarctic". It was like being touched by history listenening to him.

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 12:28:41 am »

That's a interesting story, I am thinking about having a buddy who builds kits help me make molds so I can lay up hulls and cast parts if anyone else wants them.

wee speug

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2014, 02:07:15 am »

Good idea as I don't think you are on this side of the pond  {-) {-) {-)
your not on any side of the pond...you,re on the other side of the world {-)
Come, and I will show you,where the Iron Crosses grow

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 11:06:46 am »

Could you put your location into your profile please

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 09:32:17 pm »

What an interesting read! The item about your trip to Lyttleton was splendid Victoria. The chances of meeting the man who was in the photo as a boy and being a model maker is worse than the lottery.

Is one of these beasts going to end up in your range Steve?
Pond weed is your enemy

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 10:08:11 am »

guys I ran into a problem, well a problem for me maybe not you guys. I got the plans but they dont show the frames its just profile shots can someone explain to me how to draw up the frames from the profile shots?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 12:49:14 pm »

At the left hand bottom of the plan there should be a hull body plan marked 'hull sections'. There are referenced by number to the elevation view above. Deduct the thickness of the planking from the hull section line and that will give you the external shape of your frames.

Colin

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2014, 08:39:22 pm »

I dont know how I didnt see that thanks Colin.  :-)) Now just to decide on a scale.

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2014, 09:49:47 pm »

after some figuring I figured out that if I increase the plans by 133% it will make the model 5fett and 3 inches long and will be dollhouse scale I figure that will help me with finding fittings and the like.

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2014, 12:35:04 pm »

Well I got the plans blown up and I started a build thread  :-))  unfortunetly I was in a hurry when posting so I accedently put it in the workboat section I have asked a moderator to move it  :police:  once thats done I will post a link to the build here so someone can continue from here to the building phase.

A BIG BIG thank you to everyone who helped me get this far you guys are awesome and uh don't go anywhere I am sure I will have several stupid questions shortly  :}
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.