Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cr 914  (Read 6721 times)

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
cr 914
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:54:53 pm »

does anybody know about a yacht called cr914  i have seen one for sale .
are the a good yacht they seem to be popular in america but i have never seen them for sale in uk before .
any info would be helpful

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: cr 914
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 07:29:10 pm »

does anybody know about a yacht called cr914  i have seen one for sale .
are the a good yacht they seem to be popular in america but i have never seen them for sale in uk before .
any info would be helpful

This is a link to the manufacturers web site: http://www.rcyachts.com/cr914home.htm
You can reach David Ramos owner operator of Chesapeake Performance Models via is e-mail address David@rcyachts.com
They are made in the U.S.

The CR 914 is actually popular around the planet, not just here in the U.S. I am currently building both the CR 914 (36") and a CR 610 (24"). The kits are a straight forward build and come with just about everything you need to build it including servos, electronics etc. (see photo) These boats are time tested and proven to be extremely capable and very fast. I posted a couple of photos from a recent Champion ship Regatta that show the boats racing in winds greater than 20mph. All are managing quite well.

Although they seem similar in appearance to a Victoria, they are longer and leaner and measureably more capable.  I had a Victoria for several years and understand it's limitations. I believe the CR 914 to be a superior sailing boat across the board.

Should you be interested you can buy them in kit form or in a range of stages of assembly or RTR. Up to your budget limitations. David is one of the more knowledgeable people in the business and a true real craftsman. If you read his bio you'll understand why I say that.

This is a link to the history of the CR 914: http://cr914class.org/about/history.html
Easy read and a very interesting story.  Hope that is enough to get you started. If you have questions after you've had an opportunity to review the sites, just post your questions or sent me a message. :-))

Boomer

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 07:50:18 pm »

thank you for your info boomer you say they are popular all over the world .
but i have only seen 1 for auction in uk.
the price they are asking seems very reasonable compared with the cost of a new one .
plus what it would cost to ship to uk.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:15 pm »

Curious - what are they asking for the boat? Also, I will see what I can find out if there is an International CR 914 Organization. I will let you know what I find out.

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:11 pm »

boomer they are asking  £ 180 i don,t know the exchange rate but that has to be a lot less than $500 or more the price in america ok

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 12:53:43 am »

boomer they are asking  £ 180 i don,t know the exchange rate but that has to be a lot less than $500 or more the price in America ok

That is about $250 US dollars. Is this a kit or fully assembled boat?  If it is kit I suspect it maybe an earlier version made by AG in Japan and not the latest Dave Ramos version. Dave has made some improvements. Some of the later AG made models came with an upgrade kit.  Dave sells anything you might need or want including any upgrade  items.
Regardless that is a very attractive price assuming it is all there. There is no reason not buy an AG kit. They are fine.

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 02:10:04 pm »

boomer it is a kit that someone as part built and painted the hull then decided to sell it. all the parts are still in the box

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 05:10:45 pm »

boomer it is a kit that someone as part built and painted the hull then decided to sell it. all the parts are still in the box

The CR 914 hulls comes with mold clamp indentations on each side of the bow that require sanding and on occasion some filling to remove those indentations. These were more prevalent in the AG hulls than in the newer Dave Ramos hulls. I believe Dave may have reworked the molds when he acquired them to reduce these "impressions" in the hulls. Seawind kits came with similar marks that require sanding to remove. Not a problem just some time sanding and possibly a little filling.

When you get the boat, assuming you get it (at that price I'd get it  O0 ) take a look to see how well the previous owner prepared the hull for painting. If he did it right, he saved you a few hours of work. There is a lot of good information on assembly beyond the very good instructions that come with the boat. If you don't get the instructions let me know, and I can send a copy to you.

Let me know if you have any questions

Boomer

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 11:07:53 pm »

Be very interesting to see what this kit sells for. A new complete kit from Chesapeake Performance Models the manufacturer sells for $495.00 USD not including shipping. http://www.rcyachts.com/CR914/kit_options.htm

The pictures of the boat and kit shown are taken from Chesapeake's web site. I wonder if this kit is a current version or the AG version produced in Japan.

I posted a link in a previous post that takes you to site that that has the history of this boat-for anyone interested I again suggest it is a worth while read and takes only a few minutes. What the heck, here it is again - makes it easy for you
http://cr914class.org/about/history.html

I enjoy learning about the boats I own or would  like to own, seems to make it more fun.  O0

Boomer

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:13:55 am »

jaymac the one from stratford was not the one i was looking at , the one i was looking at was on radio controlled yacht site i have now bought it for £150 which i think is a good price when i receive the boat i will look on the box to see who was the maker ok

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 09:36:58 am »

That sounds good what site was that please

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 03:13:22 pm »

ebay radio control yachts

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 06:42:40 pm »

ok2  As was stratford  Ebay

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 08:21:58 pm »

i think you will find the yacht your are talking about is on page 5 radio control boats not yacht ok

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 09:45:42 am »

There'

s another one on there now Geezer wants £300 +£30 postage ouch!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 09:55:07 am »

If it goes around £250 its not a bad buy including the Spektrum radio.
You could organise your own courier for less than £30.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 12:35:55 pm »

I think the one sitting a couple of places down might  set the price its still at£100
Jay

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 04:24:54 pm »

I can only find the £300 BIN one.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

bjoehendy

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 01:36:38 pm »

just received cr914 the box says ag from japan looks like it needs some mods .
the sail material is the worst i have ever seen the hatch cover also is flimsy .
i think i will use patches over hatch . the rigging like my tt victoria is a bit to fidly .
i wiil change to carbon tubes and reduce the amount of rigging as on my victoria.
i dont know yet if i will drill through deck to put my mast straight through .
or reinforce inside the hull as in my victoria

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:20:25 pm »

just received cr914 the box says ag from japan looks like it needs some mods .
the sail material is the worst i have ever seen the hatch cover also is flimsy .
i think i will use patches over hatch . the rigging like my tt victoria is a bit to fidly .
i wiil change to carbon tubes and reduce the amount of rigging as on my victoria.
i dont know yet if i will drill through deck to put my mast straight through .
or reinforce inside the hull as in my victoria

Surprised at your observation of the sail quality. I have the AG version as well and don't have a particular issue with it's sails. (posted a picture of the sails ) Since I will be racing my CR 914 I have to keep the boat in compliance with the AMYA class rules -posted below. I do have custom sails on a few of my boats that are not "one design" or are not limited by class rules.

I agree that the hatch covers on the Victoria and CR 914 leave "something to be desired"  >>:-( as the saying goes, but they do work. I'd like to see a bit more substance in the materials used. The Victoria and CR 914 are quite similar in appearance and construction. I owned a Victoria and enjoyed sailing it, but my opinion, the CR 914 is a superior sailing boat especially in the heavier weather conditions. I have a Micro Magic and believe it to be one heck of great sailing boat - I think the CR 914 is going fall into that category.  :-)) Just my opinion. As the saying goes "opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple"  ;)

I am confident you will find the boat to be a nibble and capable once you get it on the water. They are very well regarded among owners here in the U.S.  I posted a tuning guide for your reference. Hope it is on interest.

Boomer
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.