Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mars  (Read 3388 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
mars
« on: November 05, 2013, 05:26:32 pm »

could some one please tell me why we are giving india millions on pounds to help the poor of india when on the news today thay have sent a rocket to mars we have people going to food banks and thay are going to mars  dont make sense to me  will stop moaning now in case i get censored  ps have just heard a service man has been made redantant and by 3 days has lost his 22 year pension  he should have gone to india

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: mars
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:34:27 pm »

It's what happens when you vote to live in a fourth
world country.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:34:58 pm »

I agree cant under stand why we are sending money to India got to be something very wrong here.
                           Regards Howard

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 05:41:07 pm »

It's never made sense to me that we continue to give money to countries who have thriving economies and spend money on space programs and Atomic weapons.  Not to mentions countries who continually turn around and call us everything from pigs to dogs.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 05:52:59 pm »

The bosses of TaTa Steel won't worry about a few hundred
redundancies in Scunthorpe in the run up to Christmas  >>:-( >>:-(

Ned

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 06:01:47 pm »

We're the idiots who accept and vote for the status quo O0

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 06:03:54 pm »

Aid to India is being phased out: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20265583

We may deplore the policies of other countries but equally they may deplore ours.

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:10:12 pm »

Aye Colin, but surely the Mars mission has been in the planning/development for several years and it's only now that were cutting down our input.
Also surely it's got nothing to do with liking or disliking other policies but simple sums?

g4yvm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »

There was a very good reply to this very  question on Today this morning.   The Indian said that space research is vital as its the way they develope india.  As an example he said in the 90s a tornado killed tens of thousands but thanks to satellite technology thd last one killed only "double digits".  I think us givng aid whikst they fund research is akin to a job seekers allowance.   We are helping them fund tbeir future.  Imagine the burden if they stopped trying and came to us for serious help!

To put their task into perspective, there ten times more people in India still defecating in the open air than there are people living in the UK!  The Indian problem is simply unimaginable to most Brits, most Westerners probably and ALL Americans!

But I do agree, giving aid dos seem to stick in the craw!

D

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 06:22:03 pm »

The reduction in aid to India has been on the cards for several years too. These sort of things are not always straightforward depending on how the aid is being channelled, it can be difficult to simply turn off the taps on existing projects where contractual financial commitments have been given for example.

And sums are never simple, there are always complications. We may not agree with India's financial priorities but they are a sovereign nation and there are also political issues involved. It is very easy to criticise them but if you look at some of the spending priorities in the UK you will see similar conundrums. For example, should we be spending money on new aircraft carriers to maintain our defence capability or putting the cash into the NHS where it might simply be used to fund revolving door payoffs resulting from reorganisation?

In theory it may be simple, in practice it is anything but! Very often there are no absolute answers - just conflicting opinions.

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 06:42:48 pm »

Just to give a few sums which, I'm sure, are misleading and may very well be totally inaccurate but which may give food for thought.

1. US has proposed cutting aid to India to $98.3 million per annum. (Times of India)
2. US received, in 2012, approx $112 million in US Visa fees from Indian subjects. (Times of India)
3. We are reducing from approximately £75millon ($120million) in direct aid per annum. (BBC)

I'm sorry, but I can't find a UK equivalent to 2 above.

I'm not interested in the politics, but I feel that we've been given the bums rush for decades by politicians of all creeds and colours and we're still being asked to pay for the percieved group conscience of our politicians.

"A Plague on all their houses"

:((

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 06:53:26 pm »

"A Plague on all their houses"

Don't disagree there!

In India there is a vast disparity between the wealthy elite and the bulk of the population - perhaps something you could also say applies in the UK these days. So, in a way, it's a bit like the water flow in the Dardanelles - on the surface the current runs one way but deep down it runs in the opposite direction. So how do you 'liberate' the wealth of the few to benefit the living standards of the many? If we can't do it in the UK then why should we expect India to be any better? Answers on a postcard please!

Colin

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 07:11:03 pm »

:-)) Simple answer Colin,

Delete the word 'Great' from the name of the country. It might just help us to understand the truth of the situation and realise that we've lived too long on the backs of the Victorians and their precursors.

The Chinese understand it in a way that we never have and illustrated it beautifully when the 14th secretary to the Sub-Sub Minister for Cheese was the highest level politician to meet George Osborne.

We've been living a lie that our lords and masters have fobbed off on us for years. There's little difference between the social structure we have now and the one when old man Vickers put lights in his castle, except that he actually achieved something.

Soopah :D 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 07:30:20 pm »

Never fear Guy Fawkes was one of the good guys %%
Looking out over Grimsby just now the fireworks
which ain't cheap seem to be coming from the areas
of town that have twice the national average for unemployment.

Free rent Free Council Tax spend it all on Lager and  Whiz bangs

Ned <:(

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 07:38:55 pm »

That's the whole point Ned,

It's to maintain the appearance of 'the nice lot with really nice manners' that the our political leaders can afford to give more aid and goodies than the Good Ole US of A, rather than spending it of getting this country out of the mire it's truly in.

If you'll excuse the expression, I sometimes wish that all of our lot had the 'balls' of Berlasconi (Metaphorically of course) :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 07:49:21 pm »

Berlusconi is a clown whose priorities exclusively reflect his own interests in which teenage girls play a large part. Are you seriously advocating him as a role model?

Colin

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 08:02:34 pm »

It should also be pointed out that on the 19th of this month the Indian Navy will take delivery of their new second hand Russian built and re-fitted aircraft carrier, they also have two further carriers being built at present.  This is in addition to the new nuclear submarines being built in Russia plus all the new surface ships to go along with them.
I note from the news tonight that the real reason they have done this according to one person, is to show the Chinese that anything thing you can do, we can do better.
So, I would wager that the next real conflagration will be in area, which if nothing else will resolve to some degree the over population and poverty so endemic in the region.
LB

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 08:05:21 pm »

I terms of his determination to do what was necessary, regardless of external opinion (metaphorically as I said) rather than what was politically correct, then yes of course. Don't forget that the Italians voted for him in their droves for years and it was only the puritanical attitude of others that caused the rot (along with the fact that he led a disastrous economic cabal %) )

In terms of their pride in their countries and their determination to do right by them, there's little to choose between Berlusconi, de Gaulle and the sainted Maggie :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 08:07:36 pm »

English pounds to India?.........it's only payback for the wealth [gold & diamonds] that England extracted from India when that land was controlled by England
She [England] did the same to the land of OZ........took our wool, wheat & gold & left we convicts to starve  <*< .............at least the people in that other big land across the sea........decided to have the biggest cup of tea party in history  ;) ....Boston wasn't it?........ {-) .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 08:12:51 pm »

Totally agreed Derek, but for how long do you have to have the chip on your shoulder.. 100 years, 1000 years or is it only the English who have to carry a conscience around until the Armageddon?

;) 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 08:26:39 pm »

took our wool, wheat & gold & left we convicts to starve

Unfortunately it seems that you didn't.... {-)

Stavros

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 08:28:25 pm »

Blooming heck this is turning into what I would class as a very dangerous post and this is going to END IN TEARS....mark my words on this seen it before

Dave

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 08:31:37 pm »

Don't worry Dave, this is what a good Tuesday night is all about. Nothing on the telly now that Bake Off has ended, a glass of malt and a decent international debate on Mayhem :-))

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:14 pm »

I'm already in tears ...

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 08:42:32 pm »

The topic is now closed

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.