Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunder Tiger Voyager Yacht.  (Read 3680 times)

JamesD

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Thunder Tiger Voyager Yacht.
« on: November 07, 2013, 04:23:40 pm »

Has anyone got one of the above,if so could you tell me what they perform like.  :-))

JamesD

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Thunder Tiger Voyager Yacht.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:36:40 pm »

As a Thunder Tiger, you should have no problems with build quality. At about 1m long it should sail very nicely.
If you google 'thunder tiger voyager' there are links to youtube, where you can see it sailing. There is also a youtube comparison sailing between the Voyager and the Monsoon.

As for racing performance. It would not sail competitively without modifications, and I am not sure what 1m class (if any) it fits into.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:43:37 pm »

Hi James,

The Thunder Tiger Voyager II has the same hull as the ETNZ, which has the keelfin too far forward, it also is equipped with the worst set of sails ever, if you look at the material used, it shrinks exessively in warm dry conditions and sags in damp cold conditions.

In order to perform well, it needs some TLC.

The 'original' TT Voyager has an ABS hull and is shaped like the Australia II, an AAC boat from the eighties.
It came with the same dreadful sailmaterial as it's 'successor' and also needed some TLC to perform well.
I own an ABS Voyager well modded and enjoy sailing it every time.

I also have a gutted ETNZ hull which I'm in the process of converting into a well sailing model.

Like all boats in this price frame, they do sail reasonably well out of the box, but durability and real performance on the water comes from alterations made to the rig.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:55 pm »

Has anyone got one of the above,if so could you tell me what they perform like.  :-))
JamesD

James
Just wondering if you have purchased the Voyager yet? If not what other boats have you considered? Are you looking for any suggestions?
I'd asked a few questions if you were still shopping for a boat to be able to understand your particular interests and budget.
There have been lots of Voyagers sold over the years. Most of TT's boats in this size range are quite similar. The graphics being a notable difference.

Posted a few pictures of examples. TT's Victoria is a bit shorter but a very popular model and very affordable. Has just recently come out in RTR format - kits are still available for those that like to build. They have newer version on the market also pictured below.

There are a lot of kit boats available should that be of interest - here is a link to a site that lists most of the kit builders. See post #102 and #107 at this link:  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767639

boaterjim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 07:42:34 pm »

Hi, I have a brand new Sermount Yacht for sale £75 to you
Jim D

JamesD

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:15:54 pm »

Hi All.Thanks for your replies,i have already got the SEAWIND,ETNZ,but i am looking for a IOM something like the widget,triple crown.

Cheers

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:21:04 pm »

Hi James,

There are a number of  free IOM plans online to be found, search for Goth IOM by Frank Russel:
http://www.frankrusselldesign.com/Goth%20IOM%20A4%20Free%20Plan.pdf

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Yogibear

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:46 pm »

What exactly are the small fins for on the keel bulb? The look somewhat fragile like they would be the first parts snapped off.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 04:33:50 pm »

What exactly are the small fins for on the keel bulb?
Hi Yogi,

The small fins are there, because the original ETNZ had them, other than giving a 'scale' look, they serve no purpose, other than catching weed...

Sadly that's not the biggest issue with the ETNZ / Voyager 2, as I've mentioned earlier.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.