Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inga iv rebuild  (Read 4231 times)

Andy P

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Inga iv rebuild
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:27:54 pm »

Hi all, this is my first post for quite a few years. I bought an old, part complete Inga iv model yacht off ebay several years ago and have finally got round to start working on it. I also bought an unmade kit of the same boat, so now I have two. My intention is to rebuild the ebay one first using the patterns from the kit as templates for the cabin structure. I have stripped the boat down to the raw hull and have started fitting the woodwork to support the deck. The instructions that came with the kit are somewhat basic and don't give any indication of how to fit or position the radio gear for the operation of the sails. Presumably this will be easier done before fitting the new deck. As this is my first yacht build I wondered if anyone would be willing to post a couple of photos of their layout for this particular model or pm me if they prefer. Also could you give any advice on the following topics.
1. I hope to operate all three sails from the same servo if possible and wondered if I would be better using a winch or a sail arm servo. I am considering a Hitec HS-815BB sail arm servo.
2. I intend planking the deck and wondered if you could suggest any particular suppliers of wood strip.
3. Regarding the deck planks, do certain types of wood lend themselves to sideways bending better than others, as I hope to follow the outside shape of the hull with the planks, curving them in towards the king plank. Also is there an ideal thickness and width of plank that I should use. I intend to use card on edge for the caulking, so thought I would use 1.5mm x 5mm planks. Would this be too wide & thick for bending?
I am sure as the build progresses I will have more questions but for now I any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to post some photos as I progress the build.
Andrew

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Inga iv rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:27:35 am »

Hi Andy.
 sail arm servo set up.
  Frank.

18ki.jpg
p5cs.jpg

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:12:54 am »

on the design of profile you have # 18

at the end of the dash, where listening comes in, it's not good.

On the first occasion the thread will come out of the pulley groove.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:48:37 am »

A supplier for your deck planks, http://www.twigfolly.com/
I'me sure a call to him will get you the information regarding suitable wood for bending the planks
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

Andy P

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:58:22 pm »

Hi chaps, thanks for the replies.  The diagram is different to how I had decided to do it, but is certainly worth considering. Are the drawings from the Revell plans for the Inga iv. I see what Gazou means about the cord coming off the pulley as the servo arm swings towards it. Mounting the servo higher in the hull would probably solve that problem. I will try and post a sketch of how I was going to do it for you to comment on. Thanks for the deck plank supplier LB, I will check out their website.
Regards
Andrew

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:51 pm »

I'd put the servo
I would put an eyepiece like fishing rods to force the thread to go into the pulley groove

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:52:42 pm »

Hello,

Why not lower the pulley ?.
Or, bend a length of brass tube into a U shape, mounted as per the pulley, with the Line threaded through it.
Nothing left to go wrong !.

John. :-))
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 06:42:52 am »

lower pulley does not change the problem, it the opposite.

Yes to the tube oriented outputs, one down, one up

Andy P

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 12:45:49 pm »

Hi, im not sure if the image has appeared as I am having trouble downloading it. If it has, this is how I was thinking of rigging my yacht below decks. Does this look ok or have I got the setup totally wrong.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 05:03:43 pm »

No image <:(
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 01:44:15 pm »

Hello, sorry I could not be there on Sunday as a I had a bowls match to play, I informed one of the members that you may turn up and what you were after. Glad you did and I hope it was a help. Did you notice that we use a 6v pack for the Rx? I made my ballraced pullies but soon changed them for the professional ones from Bantocks, expensive but worth every penny. You know where we are should you need any more help. Nemesis  Bill Carpenter

Andy P

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 11:46:54 pm »

Hi Bill, the chaps at the club were really friendly and helpful. You have a great setup there. They had printed off a set of diagrams which they explained using one of the models. When I get the model finished I will bring it up for you all to see. Pass on my thanks to the chaps.
Best regards
Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.