Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASHPORT EXPLANATION PLEASE!  (Read 3450 times)

rgl2422

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
WASHPORT EXPLANATION PLEASE!
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:51:01 pm »

I am a newbie to the hobby but have taken the plunge and am building an 'Imara'. I have read the following sentence about 100 times but still don't understand it. Can anyone help?:

"Drill and cut out the washports and fill with thin plastic card to disguise the thickness of the bulwarks".

I understand what washports are for and that the prototypes have doors but what does 'disguise the thickness of the bulwarks' mean and how does filling the holes with thin card disguise the thickness? Are the bulwarks too thick / too thin? I don't want to go to the lengths of fitting hinged doors, so should I simply cut out the rectangle and glue a slightly bigger piece of card over the hole on the inside of the bulwark?

Sorry if I'm being thick, but this has got me stumped!

Richard

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WASHPORT EXPLANATION PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:23 pm »

I think you are getting a little confused. What it means is the thickness of the hull. Thin plastic card glued around the inside edge of the washport will finish it off neatly.

rgl2422

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:14:12 pm »

Thanks. Still not sure I understand what's meant by disguising the thickness! Perhaps I should just ignore that sentence and fit some hinged doors - that'd be a challenge.

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:28:20 pm »

Hi Richard, if you cut out the bullwarks undersize to the doors then cut the plastic to fit inside of your cut, then fit the doors it fills the tickness of the bulwarks.
You can just see it on the starb side of the bulwarks

rgl2422

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 08:37:13 pm »

Ah, so the rectangle of plastic card that fits inside the cut-out in the bulwarks brings the back of the door flush with the inside of the bulwarks (the thickness of which will presumably depend on how much P38 I put on the inside to cover the mat. Is that about right?

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 08:40:57 pm »

That's how i did it they are a bit thick so it looks thinner.
regards John

rgl2422

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »

Thanks very much - and thanks for posting the picture - gives me something to aspire to!

Richard

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:59 pm »

Ah, so the rectangle of plastic card that fits inside the cut-out in the bulwarks brings the back of the door flush with the inside of the bulwarks (the thickness of which will presumably depend on how much P38 I put on the inside to cover the mat. Is that about right?

that is exactly what Frank Hinchliffe was  trying to describe when he wrote the instructions, but in reality this sort or arrangement was never the case where washports were concerned.

they were only hinged plates to allow the water out of the deck, but not into the decks........nothing more complicated that that, and to tell the truth on many occasions were taken off because they jammed open or shut more times than not because of rust and decay.

the same was always the case with wash ports on trawlers, and even though Frank used to put "wash port doors" on most of his models as a bit of "overkill" on the fittings side, more often than not, doors were never fitted.

I can state categorically that I have NEVER EVER  seen hinged washport doors on a Fleetwood trawler, as they would have snagged the nets when hauling and shooting, and I used to have this discussion regularly with frank when I saw him at shows, but he continued to use them on all his models.

So, if you want to fit the doors, I ( IMHO) wouldn't back them up on the inside once I had made the cut in the bulwarks. in fact if you look at my model of Imara, you can see I left the wash port doors off the boat, and just "barred" them on the inside with brass wire.

rgl2422

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 09:54:36 pm »

Thanks very much for such a comprehensive reply - really appreciated. I think I'll just see what looks best to my untutored eye and I'll probably then go for the simple option that you suggest.

Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 22 queries.