Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW. . . .model sound system  (Read 14310 times)

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NEW. . . .model sound system
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »

Well said Mick

:-))
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
  • If its to windy to fly I'm boating
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 11:10:30 pm »

To recap what was said in the OP -
  I don't see any mention of syncing engine speed sound to motor speed

"I have been after a Sound system that will do an engine sound for a model boat that increase's in RPM "

Some one tell me if this is translated in any other language other than English so I under stand I made a mistake ?  {-) {-) {-) {-)
retired and loving it

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 11:16:14 pm »

Come on Gazza matey,I have tried to still the waters.Please now keep up the building of the item,and just let us know what happens when you get there?
cheers,
Mick F

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 12:28:09 am »

Hey up Mick . . .  :-))

yea just trying to clear questions up but ill get back to testing and playing
Thanks for all the Pm's . . . " to crack on"
 I cant believe how much intrest you all have. . So Like me I guess your all fed up paying over the top for sound units that go CLICK. . CLICK  {-) .

When will they be available. .
good question errrr
Well I guess when we have finished trial's and then its going to be sourcing the little fellows. .  then finding a company to make the PCB for all the switch gear to go on  . .and then my mate to make it all up and test each unit  I don't know what to say to you all at the moment
Some where in the UK there is people selling these units some at £8 and some at £50 but who has the most and who can supply them.
I don't want to sell some at £xx and then some at £yy  so the cheaper we can get them for then the cheaper my mate can knock them out for I guess
I have 6 orders up to now as people have pledged I want on and I think I will have to have a serious talk with my mate to see when he can start doing the boards and then RE WORKING them.
Then its down to the user to get a micro SD card and put on there sound track or for him to do it and them that would be extra I guess . . 
I will have to post back ASAP when we have had a chat and got things sorted as I'm no business man just a chap with 100's of ideas and a vision and a mate who is a Whizz at electronics

So thanks for all the support I was going to scrap it. .  but a quick phone call to my mate and to set up a what the hell do we do know approach will be posted soon I promise

all the best Gazza
retired and loving it

inertia

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 08:44:21 am »

So Like me I guess your all fed up paying over the top for sound units that go CLICK. . CLICK  {-) .

Do you have any specific type in mind here or is this just a general smear on your part? First rule of business is that rubbishing the competition is not guaranteed to attract customers, especially when you don't yet have a product to back it up.
Ref the product, I very much look forward to hearing a decent bass sound (e.g. for a lifeboat) from a 2" speaker mounted in an aluminium can.
Caveat vendor?

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 09:24:43 am »

Thanks Doc or is that Dave  :-))
Not smearing any one if a unit says its a XXX engine and goes click click its not an engine sound is it
Don't have a product to back up  ;D

Stand by for Action! We're about to launch Stingray! Anything can happen within the next half hour!"

retired and loving it

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 09:33:47 am »

Seen this unit or one like it some time ago. Emailed the company (U.K)  to see if it could increase the engine sound speed sync with the stick. They said no but put me in touch with a Canadian company where the unit did.  Don't have the link anymore. Good luck to the reworkers

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2013, 09:47:18 am »

Seems like a simple question Gazza, If you move the speed stick on the transmitter to increase the motor speed, does the sound unit sound increase in speed????

Can only be a one word answer, no ambiguity, Yes OR No  ??

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2013, 09:53:04 am »

Ian YES. . . . a thousand times YES it increases in RPM with the stick

Ok Mods   :police: can you delete this thread I will scrap the idea and just use it my self and if any one wants one then to PM me

retired and loving it

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2013, 09:55:25 am »

I remember speaking to Jim Casey ( JJC sound units) some years ago regarding proportional throttle to sound, he said, 'one of the most difficult aspects to reproduce is the changing "tone" of the engine, ie, the type of sound an engine produces at idel, mid range and full throttle are usually completely different, you can''t just speed up an engine sound from idle to 3,000 rev and expect it to sound right.'

BTW: Inertia knows what he's talking about!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2013, 10:05:30 am »

and again please delete my post and ill tell my mate he does not know what he's talking about  :-))

Most people want to hear a reving engine on a electric boat weather it sounds 100% the real thing I don't know but a Jeremy cricket clicking sound is not a reving engine .sorry people its just not 
 if it revs up and sounds OK and that's what they want so be it
 if you want to sit and debate with a sound analyzer and say no its not quite right then we can all do that the Action electronic unit is a  NICE UNIT. .  I love it but the price is just to much  as then you need more stuff adding to it like an amp and a speaker etc the unit is now a big thing to get in a boat. .  plane or car or a tank . .
 I have not heard the sound unit my self and if it revs with the throttle stick if so then it works. . yes
 and the one I'm doing with my mate MUST work as well will it not  :-))
retired and loving it

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2013, 10:24:57 am »

Brilliant idea, no idea how to deal with the public....good luck, you are going to need it :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2013, 10:27:03 am »

No mention of stick control until post #22 Gazza.  Good Idea but don't rant at those asking questions. A demo of the unit mounted in a boat in water would have been a better use of hugh tub rather than a scope display.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2013, 10:32:22 am »

Well like most people I have been after a Sound system that will do an engine sound for a model boat that increase's in RPM

Ian its in the very first post mate if you increase rpm then the sound does as well
retired and loving it

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 10:46:11 am »

If every person who comes up with an idea was put off nothing would be built.
Yes there May ba versions already out there but there is always room for more...

hopeitfloats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 10:48:53 am »

I have an action unit and they are an excellent product. I don't think they are too pricey for what they do and aren't that big. sure you might struggle to get it in a 12'' boat with the rest of the radio gear but most of us are in to larger models. as has been said  gazza. ignore the knockers and keep up the R&D.  if your product turns out as good as the action units they will sell but I wouldn't expect to become a millionaire out of it.  inertia  is the only one allowed that  honour so I have been told. {-)

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 10:54:18 am »

a good video!

and everyone will be happy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 11:06:57 am »

Saying you have been looking for a system with a given set of characteristics, then saying that an existing unit has been reworked does not actually equate to "and I now have one that does the job" unless those words actually appear. 
In the commercial world, leaving the customer to guess at possible implications in advertising copy generally leads to disappointment on both sides.  What might be blatantly obvious to the writer can often have a totally different meaning to the reader who is using that writing as the source of information.  That's just an observation from experience writing instruction leaflets in my past.  And re-writing them.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 11:43:00 am »

I wouldn't expect to become a millionaire out of it.  inertia  is the only one allowed that  honour so I have been told. {-)

If you can find it then we'll go halves, eh? It'll save me any further looking. As Richard Branson said (I paraphrase him) " The only way to become a millionaire in this business is to start with a billion".
Gazza
It's a long hard road from a bread-boarded gizmo on your mate's test bench to a shelf full of finished stock with customers hammering at the door for more. Good luck, because you'll need a bucketful of it. You'll have to deal with prototype testing; any modifications; sourcing components and/or assembly; a website and all the other marketing treats; customers who don't or won't read the instructions and/or who think the thing will do something which it doesn't; returns of units which are not faulty - o, and back-bedroom heroes on Internet forums sniping at your prices and sneering at your product. Then there's the VAT man, the Income Tax man, the bloke from the HSE who wants to see all manner of EU-based certificates and check that you aren't using lead-based solder and make sure your fume extractor is up to spec for the job; the local authority who want you to pay business rates for your garden shed workshop; the customer who is going to sue you because his one year old grandson choked while trying to eat one of your products; the idiot who telephones at 3.20am from Australia because he's forgotten you are halfway round the world away; the pests from alleged magazines trying to sell you advertising space; the endless spam E-mails from countless Chinese manufacturers of anything even vaguely to do with electronics; the accounts woman from the magazine that you DO use who keeps pestering you to pay an invoice for an advert which you didn't order and which they never published.... and all you aspire to do is to sell an excellent product as cheaply as possible. 
Don't think I'm trying in any way to discourage you, mon brave, but sometimes I'm rather glad I have retired from this silly game.
Ref ACTion sound system - the first 100 Noisy Things were the hardest to sell; the rest have sold themselves.
DM (not Doc)

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 12:12:23 pm »

Wow Dave,no wonder you sold up matey! and there was I thinking you listened to Deep Purple all day!
Enjoy your retirement my friend,lol ;D ;D ;D O0 O0
Mick F

mersey dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 12:25:54 pm »

Gazza, for anyone who tries to introduce a product onto the open market you have to invest a lot of cash and time into the product. On top of this you would have to show that not only the product but most important you need to show that you can sell the product to the pubic, now from what I have seen on this topic you do not have the attitude needed to succeed as you have shown that you don't know how to deal with constructive criticism and what would worry me is if I purchaced one of these sound units and was not happy would I just pushed aside or face lots of abuse. Now as far as having a go at Dave (Action) that's a big no...no....you don't  do that to someone that's managed to produce many things that now sell them selves as the word soon spreads when something of such quality comes on the market.......and you will learn that bad news travels around just as quick. So the way in which you have handled this topic may well of killed off any hope you had.

Regards Dave.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 12:36:48 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Dave has it all to forget the idiots of French who do not understand assembly instructions O0 O0 O0

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:23 pm »

Ah, Sound systems, do you remember as a kid sticking a bit of cardboard in by your back brake on your bike and as you peddled it flicked on the wheel spokes and made a " engine " sound and as you went faster so did the " engine ".
Now theres a cheap " Engine " sound system for you to stick in your "Toy" boat.

Len, ( Tongue in cheek )

inertia

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Dave has it all to forget the idiots of French who do not understand assembly instructions O0 O0 O0
Jean-Pierre
Yes - but you guys do it with such Gallic style! Anyway, you always sent your questions via Jackie W for translation and any excuse to flirt with her is welcome!

Len
One of the most convincing "budget" sound systems is Mike Mayhew's tin-can rattler, which uses a flap of tinplate turning with the prop shaft and one of those things that John West rejects (minus its contents, of course) as a resonator. Totally awesome, dude.

Mick/Mersey Dave
Ta, m'ducks. I'm still trying to bring electronics to the masses but these days it's just at the shows or via 'Model Boats' articles. Seems to be working - many folk at the weekend's show expressed enjoying the one I did for the MB Winter Special. We soldier on................

DM

....and it's Jimminy Cricket. One non-customer once described the sound of the small ACTion diesel engine simulators as 'demented penguins'. Fair enough, but they don't pretend to be real - as is made clear in the catalogue and on the show demo board. They are for small models (e.g. Slipway's Puffer) to give the effect of an engine sound. Big models deserve real engine sounds, and that costs a lot more to achieve.
Bon chance.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2013, 01:15:45 pm »

I saw that 'system' on a model puffer, a couple of 'cable ties' on the UJ, at 0o and 90o.... after a while it did .... "emulate" the frequency of an engine.... sort of!!

There was one boat on the water at Warwick that sounded like it had a chainsaw in it!
 But it was just a bad shaft of something.

Another boat I heard with a terrible racket coming from the transmission, I asked the bloke what kind of sound unit he was using, he said, "Sound unit? What sound unit?"

Ah, Sound systems, do you remember as a kid sticking a bit of cardboard in by your back brake on your bike and as you peddled it flicked on the wheel spokes and made a " engine " sound and as you went faster so did the " engine ".
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.