Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW. . . .model sound system  (Read 14308 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: NEW. . . .model sound system
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2013, 01:20:57 pm »

If you can find it then we'll go halves, eh? It'll save me any further looking. As Richard Branson said (I paraphrase him) " The only way to become a millionaire in this business is to start with a billion".
Gazza
It's a long hard road from a bread-boarded gizmo on your mate's test bench to a shelf full of finished stock with customers hammering at the door for more. Good luck, because you'll need a bucketful of it. You'll have to deal with prototype testing; any modifications; sourcing components and/or assembly; a website and all the other marketing treats; customers who don't or won't read the instructions and/or who think the thing will do something which it doesn't; returns of units which are not faulty - o, and back-bedroom heroes on Internet forums sniping at your prices and sneering at your product. Then there's the VAT man, the Income Tax man, the bloke from the HSE who wants to see all manner of EU-based certificates and check that you aren't using lead-based solder and make sure your fume extractor is up to spec for the job; the local authority who want you to pay business rates for your garden shed workshop; the customer who is going to sue you because his one year old grandson choked while trying to eat one of your products; the idiot who telephones at 3.20am from Australia because he's forgotten you are halfway round the world away; the pests from alleged magazines trying to sell you advertising space; the endless spam E-mails from countless Chinese manufacturers of anything even vaguely to do with electronics; the accounts woman from the magazine that you DO use who keeps pestering you to pay an invoice for an advert which you didn't order and which they never published.... and all you aspire to do is to sell an excellent product as cheaply as possible. 
Don't think I'm trying in any way to discourage you, mon brave, but sometimes I'm rather glad I have retired from this silly game.
Ref ACTion sound system - the first 100 Noisy Things were the hardest to sell; the rest have sold themselves.
DM (not Doc)

And all that is just the Morning.. %%    I hope they feed you at these shows when your with CShop..

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:36 pm »

Saying you have been looking for a system with a given set of characteristics, then saying that an existing unit has been reworked does not actually equate to "and I now have one that does the job" unless those words actually appear.

And although slightly off post, but does illustrate the ambiguity of the English language, Anybody else got the latest communication from Uncle Richards empire? The one that justifies them increasing their service by another £3.75 per month? In the three "What we've added" boxes top and bottom boxes are free but middle one is available but at first glance (SWTSMBO thought so) looks to be free.

Anyone in a specifying role today HAS to cross the i's dot the T's and underline the Z's or risk litigation.

Inertia's description applies to ANY business operator cos lots of "Customers" are s**ts, T'internet only means they can get at you quicker

Regards  Ian.

You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2013, 01:38:22 pm »

Dave you are an unbeliever, you have betrayed our secret >:-o <*< {-) {-) {-)
but you're happy you sold me many kits

You would sell a lot more if you had records in French. Yes but you're retired and your successor should records in French

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »

And although slightly off post, but does illustrate the ambiguity of the English language, Anybody else got the latest communication from Uncle Richards empire? The one that justifies them increasing their service by another £3.75 per month? In the three "What we've added" boxes top and bottom boxes are free but middle one is available but at first glance (SWTSMBO thought so) looks to be free.

Regards  Ian.

Not just Virgin..  Bt as Well same 6%

Not just Virgin..  Bt as Well same 6%

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 02:22:16 pm »

Yer, but you've got SOLE coverage of MOTO GP next year.  >>:-(

Regards(Diss)   Ian.

inertia

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2013, 02:32:42 pm »

Dave you are an unbeliever, you have betrayed our secret >:-o <*< {-) {-) {-)
but you're happy you sold me many kits

You would sell a lot more if you had records in French. Yes but you're retired and your successor should records in French

Jean-Pierre
Vous êtes un homme très stupide. Même un idiot vieil Anglais comme moi sait que le mot français pour "brrrmmm!" est toujours "brrrmmm" et non "le brrrmmm". Nous n'avons pas construit un empire par l'apprentissage des langues locales, vous savez! Vive la France anyroad up, m'duck!

Larry
Do I look as if I've been starved?? I only found out about working in the afternoons after I'd retired from the Civil Service.......  %)

Dave M

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2013, 02:49:08 pm »

Gentlemen, gentlemen let's all take a deep breath !!!!!
I've been following this thread since the beginning and I've come close on several occasions to chipping in as I could see this was getting close to Martin having to put his moderators hat on and remove the topic.
Gazza, my friend, good luck to you in what you are doing but PLEASE heed the words of other contributors. They are trying to offer you wise council.
Most of us are aware that there are 'cheap & cheerful' sound units on the market but as long as they do at least what the manufacturer claims, then it is not a problem. If you want more accurate sounds and sophistication, i.e. proportional sound to throttle position, then this is available at a price.
Some of you will be aware that I recorded, mixed and created some of the sound sets that are available from ACTion for the 'Noisy Thing' but I am equally as friendly with Mark Thatcher at Models Sounds and therefore have 'no axe to grind' with any party.
In a unit like the 'Noisy Thing' the sound (known as a sample) is held in memory and is triggered from the transmitter. In the example of the 'Noisy Thing' it can store an engine start, engine run (proportional) and an engine stop sound. To create the sound of the engine speeding up this is achieved by increasing the rate at which the engine run sound is repeated (known as looping). This can have some inherent problems as increasing the speed of looping changes the pitch of the sound. Sometimes it's OK and sometimes it can sound demented. To get it right can sometimes take me many hours in my studio and workshop to get the sound acceptable. Those of you who have heard my trawler will know how great it can sound when you get all the variables right.
Gazza …… continue with your developments and I wish you well …… there is a price point level in the market for a range of products. We must all never loose sight that out there in model land there are people who feel that folk like me who use 8 channels of radio control that operate 14 functions in a model are complete 'nutters' AND they could be right !!!!!
Just to amuse you all, Dave and I have talked about an even more sophisticated unit (the technology exists) but the price would be such that it would have a very limited market and therefore is not really commercially viable.
Never loose sight that you get what you pay for …….. now go make some noise !!!!!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2013, 03:13:43 pm »

Yes Steve, and at the end of the day it's only a TOY boat and would look silly draggin a Bose or a B & O Dalek behind it    O0    {-)

Regards  Ian.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »

Ah, Sound systems, do you remember as a kid sticking a bit of cardboard in by your back brake on your bike and as you peddled it flicked on the wheel spokes and made a " engine " sound and as you went faster so did the " engine ".
Now theres a cheap " Engine " sound system for you to stick in your "Toy" boat.

Len, ( Tongue in cheek )

Great fun So it was either the old mans fag packet or a playing card ( the best) with a spring loaded cloths peg on the spokes

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2013, 03:58:15 pm »

This is called 'The Village Pump', in America, 'water cooler moment', or in the IT world - R & D!!!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2013, 05:26:29 pm »

Steady on Circlip …… you can't call my models TOYS !!!!! They are highly sophisticated pieces of extreme model engineering …… I know, we'll call them BIG  :-)) TOYS !!!!!!

And as for your reference to Bose ……. my latest project which is an Alien in his rocket ship (its a fun creation) has more sound effects than Doctor Who !!!!  Its a 'Noisy Thing' on steroids (or should that be asteroids)!

It even fires green plasma …… this will enable me to exterminate Dave and Ian at Component Shop and then beam up Natasha and take her to the dark side of the moon.

Must go …. it's time for another gallon of my medication !!!!

Stavros

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2013, 08:59:27 pm »

MODS this needs closing this is going to end in tears mark my words on this .................someone here has one heck of an attitude problem.......thats all I am going to say ......................

Dave

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:19 pm »

Jean-Pierre
Vous êtes un homme très stupide. Même un idiot vieil Anglais comme moi sait que le mot français pour "brrrmmm!" est toujours "brrrmmm" et non "le brrrmmm". Nous n'avons pas construit un empire par l'apprentissage des langues locales, vous savez! Vive la France anyroad up, m'duck!

Larry
Do I look as if I've been starved?? I only found out about working in the afternoons after I'd retired from the Civil Service.......  %)

I claim the 5th amendment

Dave M

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2013, 10:23:25 pm »

As from the first post I know a chap who is an electronic wiz kid  :-))  He has taken one of these units apart and RE WORKED it so it can speed up with the throttle and down again. .

When people say its been re worked that's what we mean re worked  to do some thing else that it was not meant to

I don't pretend to know much about this, but surely the original unit that has been "re worked" would be covered by some sort of patent. I would have thought that the manufacturer would require permission to be sought ( and royalties paid ) before the modified unit could be offered for sale.

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2013, 11:52:44 pm »

Circlip.......I have never understood why people rave about the Bose product  :o ...however Bang & Olifsen systems and also the B&W speaker systems  were  :kiss: music to my ears.......
Unfortunately the latter were just a little too large to be installed in a model vessel......
Martin....I have heard of the Village People but not the Village Pump  ;D ....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2013, 12:33:57 am »

Because Derek we have bred the Walkman generation whom have an inability to talk to each other but converse by SHOUTING, EVEN WHEN SAT BESIDE EACH OTHER and who think LOUD is good.   %%

Regards  Ian

Gazza

• Full Mayhemer
  • If its to windy to fly I'm boating
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2013, 01:02:30 am »

@ mersey dave. .
Now as far as having a go at Dave (Action) that's a big no...no....
Where did I have a go at Dave . . PLEASE QUOTE WHERE I DID . .  I did not as you say have a go at any one please stop with the . .  assume. .  as u and me comes to mind here as per the norm.
Selling the product . .  its a hobby if My mate sells 1 a week so be it. . he has no intention of opening a shop . . well i dont think so any way
its a sound unit just the same as MODEL SOUNDS are selling just under a differant logo . .  and the rest off ebay.
Why would it go wrong why do you think you would be pushed a side ? if it dont work then it needs charging its that good a unit ask any one who has one.
and this one i love it . .
"you do not have the attitude needed to succeed as you have shown that you don't know how to deal with constructive criticism "
The so called constructive criticism from most peoples point of view not just mine goes some thing like this
I will just show a real easy example as i cant think of a dumber way to put it but from the very first post I stated that. . .
Will do an engine sound for a model boat that increase's in RPM and to run other sounds like klaxons fog . . horns. . guns. .  etc.
AND now lets take it a step further and add some more electronics to work ALL the functions ( and no not servo's )
Lets add a small electronic board that's smaller than a servo to work ALL the switches and just plug into the RX so no servo to connect to the on off switch or another servo for volume etc.
Now please tell me whats SO hard to grasp i have already explained it so a Nine year old could understand

But looking at the posts it goes some thing like this . . . .
THIS  product will be pink . .  is its pink . . yes its pink. . .  if I bought one would mine be green. .  no it would be pink. .  you state its been re worked will the re worked one be Yellow . .  no it will be pink. .   
So the way in which you have handled this topic may well of killed off any hope you had.
killed off PMSL . . in just private PM's alone its worth doing. .  im not into making Money im in it to help others who want some thing im a hobbyist not a Richard Branston. . What ever my mate sells them for its His I dont see a bean out of it ( and before you all ask about a bean i mean a penny  PMSL )
Regards Gary
MODS this needs closing this is going to end in tears mark my words on this .................someone here has one heck of an attitude problem.......thats all I am going to say ......................

Dave

your not wrong there Stavros  :-))

I don't pretend to know much about this, but surely the original unit that has been "re worked" would be covered by some sort of patent. I would have thought that the manufacturer would require permission to be sought ( and royalties paid ) before the modified unit could be offered for sale.
Dave.

OK so you just bought a micro switch from Maplins and now its being RE worked by a servo in your boat to switch on some lights. . . so what do you think do you need to pay royalties to Mircoswitch  and if so then there is an awlfull lot of people in trouble
Or the washing machine packed up and you got another motor from another machine with a different name. . 
Now . .  do you pay royalties to the other company etc.

in a word NO not really its there to be used in what ever manner you bought it for

retired and loving it

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2013, 01:27:51 am »

Guys...... {-) ..I can also see this thread going up in a POOF of smoke...... O0 ...
 :P  spelling was intentional as smoke [itself] does not have a sound ...be it decibels of sound pressure level or sound quality from B&W speaker systems  :kiss: ....Derek 
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2013, 04:12:18 am »

I can't help noticing that threads on noisy things   sorry, rather on 'sound systems' seem to cause more arguments than the banned subjects of religion and politics put together. If we could just get a smoke generating sound system with a universal joint built in then we could have a fine old time.

Just live and let live I say, and let the actual buyer of any product beware.

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2013, 07:17:32 am »

Have to be Black smoke %% %%
Then it would be perfick :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2013, 07:18:42 am »

Everyone had their Tuppence worth now?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

inertia

« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2013, 08:09:49 am »

Everyone had their Tuppence worth now?

Let's hope so.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2013, 09:25:22 am »

Locked.

Interesting discussion I thought.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.