Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prawn Trawler "Debra-Ellen" 96-97  (Read 2477 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Prawn Trawler "Debra-Ellen" 96-97
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:14:14 am »

Hi here again,with this model I actually used the hull of a plastic Shrimp Trawler "Suzanne", I enlarged the scale , also adding an extra 6" in her middle (lengthways) and changed her Bow section, instead of the canoe looking stem she has. She is a full deadwood no Hollow heel easier to plank but not as strong as a hollow heal build if you go aground (with the real deal) they they have more of a screwing effect on that area.
Same start up with the ply frames and ply keel, then using 10 &  8x 2mm planking (Limewood). same with all my carvels i average the planking out and use stealers where needed , all planking glued on using Super glue.
After the hull planked, then using Walnut cut to the size for the ribsI steam them using the electric kettle to steam them (as building this on the Trawler), they are cramped into position and let dry till later and then glued in , then a couple coats of resin to seal the inside of the hull.
After all the extra beams were installed using 2mm ply for the decking, then with the staunchon post I filed a round dowel shape on the base of each post, before placing them in the holes drilled to take them, the bulwark planking was then attached , then the false raise deck was put in place .
Then the step up removable wheel house made along with the removable sorting tray brine tanks.
Then a photo of all the bits n pieces made prior to painting , and the finished model.
thanks for looking.....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Prawn Trawler "Debra-Ellen" 96-97
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 09:16:08 am »

next lot.
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 09:17:44 am »

Last lot. thanks for viewing..
Brian  B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 09:23:53 am »

BB....... :o  all I can say is ....it is a wonder how any of the vessels electronic gear on the bridge deck worked after you ploughed heaps of saw dust around the night before..... >>:-( Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:31:08 am »

Ha ha  I had a good vacuum cleaner  on board  Derek..
Brian  B

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 09:44:03 pm »

Having had the opportunity to see some of Brian's work first hand yesterday, I can say that, in my opinion, he is a master craftsman of the highest order. Brian visited our club yesterday, and also sailed Madonna, his latest masterpiece. We have a couple of members who are very talented model makers themselves, but they were in awe of the standard of workmanship exhibited in Brian's models. As one member put it "Even the bits you can't normally see are beautifully made". O0

When you consider that many of his models were largely built while at sea on his family's prawn trawlers, the level of craftsmanship is even more amazing.

Peter.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 04:36:33 am »

Thank you for your kind words Peter, glad they were liked, and thank you for making me feel welcome at your Club outing, it is a great spot the club has there, you can see you's have put a lot of work to get it how it is today, it was a good experience to see the other guy's models,and operating also your lovely models,next time I might be able to see your Patrol Boat  "Bundaberg" running ,as I won't have to head off so early, thank you once again......Brian.
Brian  B

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 08:35:25 am »

Brian,

What is the ultimate fate of your models, do you still have them all, or have they found new homes?
Gunna build those other boats one day.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 05:16:36 am »

Hi there ,still have them, most of them wrapped in plastic to keep the dreaded dust off them, only just took them down the other day and replaced the plastic,have some in glass cabinets but to costly to house the lot in glass plus haven't the room....
Brian  B
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.