Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Wicksteed Organisers - 2014  (Read 26325 times)

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
Re: Mayhem at Wicksteed - 2014
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 08:51:09 pm »

I will look at the risk assessment again, I hope the park will be ok with the pyrotechnics, could you ask them Nick do not want any issues on the day.
I have had only one club say they are going to come, Wicksteed Park Model Boat Club and one trader Ron Dean. I have sent out an invite to West Wales, but as yet no reply.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 08:54:30 pm »

Hi Brian

No problem, I'm going up to the park this weekend to hang the banner up, I'll ask the management about pyrotechnics. Hopefully we get some more response soon after the magazines show our event is on.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2014, 09:42:56 pm »

Right spoken to ian at west Wales mbc. He said to get the parks permission and inform the local police. He is going to let off a few depth charge snd simulated cannons.  Nothing major.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:01 pm »

He is going to let off a few depth charge snd simulated cannons.  Nothing major.

Hope it is!!!!   O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2014, 07:28:58 pm »

Luton MBC will be attending, IE me and whoever I can talk into attending
West wales MBC 2 members are going!

full time penguin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2014, 10:10:02 am »

Going up to the park this weekend to meet our contact Nigel to find out about the Pyrotechnics request, since they have a big fireworks display I can't imagine them saying no but I definitely confirm this weekend.
The events free advert has appeared in model boats magazine and MMI April and May editions will show us in the events diary. All going well so far! :-))
Nick B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 11:52:34 am »

Doing a great job chaps!

Have we announced events or anything yet?
eg. Straight running class?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2014, 05:24:44 pm »

One of our wickie members has sent out a request for Victorian era and early 20th century warships to come to the mayhem weekend to create a turn of the century Spithead naval review parade, he has about six vessels of his own, I have one, there are another three members of Wickies who have two or more, and I was approached at Warwick by at least three more Mayhemers who are going to bring their Victorian warships too. And I'm sure BobK is trying to get his Polyphemus torpedo boat to the weekend this year too.

I've found a suitable CD if we have a PA system to play whilst they are sailing around-

The planets- Mars the bringer of war! :embarrassed:
Nick B

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2014, 03:54:12 pm »

I've been talking with the park management with Nigel today and they are very happy for the west Wales lads to use their pyrotechnical equipment for their display, they are interested seeing the actual display in action.

The banner is up and can be seen from the road, it is in the centre most prominent location on the advertising area.

I'm going to talk to them about putting out a tannoy message over the weekend to bring people down to the lake to see the boat displays pointing out the pyrotechnical display and any other event we decide upon.
Nick B

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2014, 05:45:17 pm »

I like the idea of a Victorian era review, yep that is an interesting event.
I notice with your pictures Nick that they have opened up the other end of the lake now, would we still be able to get Martins marquee down there, or will it have to stay at its usual end? We said at Warwick it would get more people walking around the lake rather than bunching up at the beginning.
With all the trees and bushes removed around both lakes, " we are going to need a bigger rope for the gazebos " To miss quote a film :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Any word from Phil regarding a straight runner class, or do we want to make up our own rules quickly. Length width, propulsion, safety so we get a competition over the weekend

If we are letting the little darlings have a go, anyone know how to slow down a club 500?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2014, 07:15:03 pm »

As far as I know we have free reign around the lake so we can put the gazebos or tents where ever we can get them, the only restriction I would guess is not to put them up over the paths, other then that we are fine.

I presume that you can turn the wick down on the speed controller if its a standard ESC by resetting it to your desired setting on your tx and pressing the button on the ESC, if you've still got your instructions or the ESC it should say how o set it up but to restrict it I think you only move the stick forward a little bit to set your max speed. I presume... :D

I think we should contact Stavros to see what Phil is upto, I haven't heard from him since Christmas, I'll be seeing Stavros at coalville on April 4 or 5 at their show if Phil doesn't appear soon.
Nick B

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »

Thanks Nick
I forgot you can set the forward and reverse on a Mtronics esc, doh!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 08:09:56 pm »

You can also make a disk template (with a limiting slot in it) and fit it over the throttle stick.

Ride of the Valkyries.
1812 Overture

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 09:24:29 pm »

Risk Assessment

I have added a couple of bits to last years assessment, highlighted in blue. I have left the insurance part blank for the moment, please take a look and let me know if it is ok, I have not removed any of the risks highlighted last year just added the pyrotechnics and tweaked some others.

Risk Assessment
Model Boat Mayhem Model Boat Show at Wicksteed Park.
Date:  May 23rd, 24th, 25th 2014
Organised by:
www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk
Type of event:
Public model boat show with on water displays.
Brief description of event:
The Model Boat Mayhem 2013 event is situated at Wicksteed Park model Boat Lake within Wicksteed Park which is wholly owned by the Wicksteed Trust, registered No: 1183177, registered in England.  The park is used by visitors to the park, dog walkers, families and children 24 hours 7 days a week and is therefore accessible by foot at anytime. Entrance to the whole park is obtained via a staff controlled gate and by a paid entrance ticket. Wicksteed Park has a displayed Terms, Conditions and Liability notice at the entrance gate. Our model boat show is also covered by £2 million public liability insurance underwritten by to be confirmed
Risk Assessment
1.   General.
First Aid kits ‘on site’ to deal with minor abrasions or cuts.  Mobiles held by most members to call emergency services if required.  Wicksteed Park security can be requested by mobile phone if required. Only dedicated members of the organising committee are allowed to enter the lake. An hourly check of life saving equipment to be made as necessary.
Risk level – Low

2.   Driving into park/parking.
Model Boat Mayhem members/exhibitors and visitors to the event are permitted to park within the confines of the grassed areas close to the railway crossing used by Wicksteed Park Model Boat Club members.  Speed on entering the park is not to exceed 10mph.  Great care when parking or reversing; potential for a possible accident. Drivers to ensure that area is clear before manoeuvring.  In view of the park being used at all times drivers must be constantly aware when driving into and out of the park to ensure that no accidents occur. 
Risk level – Low

3.   Railway and crossing
All visitors and exhibitors are to be made aware that no vehicles are to cross the railway crossing after 9am.  Only emergency and security vehicles used by the local authorities and Wicksteed Park are permitted to cross the railway at anytime.  The Wicksteed Park railway is used from 9am to 5pm everyday and all visitors/exhibitors are to be aware of the hazards of crossing the railway when a train is approaching. The train will sound a whistle before approaching the crossing to warn visitors, when this happens the walking visitors must stop and wait at the railway crossing sign.
Risk level - Low

4.   Traders Stalls / tents
All tents erected by any exhibitor or trader in the vicinity of the railway line, nearest to the designated car park, must be located 15ft away from the railway line edge to allow the train driver to view the railway crossing on approach. 
Risk level - Low

5.   The Lake.
 The lake is formed of concrete and varies in depth from 50cm to 70cm.  Boats can be retrieved by someone wearing high waders or similar.  Likelihood of drowning is low as you can stand in the lake.  However, if someone does fall in all members can assist in ensuring that person is safe, life rings are situated at the entrance to the lake.  No-one to go in the lake with bare feet/old shoes.  It is suggested that members clean their hands with wipes or similar prior to consuming food. 
Risk level - Low

6.   Lakeside path.
Concrete walkway / edging around the lake. Care to be taken by all members and visitors when walking around the lake walkways and decked areas, particular care to be taken when launching model boats.
Risk level – Low

7.   Model Boats.
Model boats are normally about one metre long but can vary in length to approx 14ft long.  Scale boats are predominately electric powered, but some are steam. Owners/users of steam are to ensure that the flammable fuels are stored correctly and, in particular, that visitors and children cannot tamper or play with canisters containing fuel or any other equipment. Owners of boats are to ensure that their boats are powered up safely particularly if members of the public are in the vicinity of the boat.  Any non-member in the vicinity of the boat should be asked to ‘move back’
Risk level – Low

8.   Boats on water.
Care when running boats.  Owners to ensure they are running on the correct crystals / frequency and not crossing channels with another user prior to launch.  Check channel/frequency board, situated within the organiser’s tent, prior to ’switching on’. This ensures no boat is uncontrolled which could have a ’knock on’ effect for a potential accident with a user reacting without thinking to ensure their boat is not damaged and falling into the pond.  Current users of the 2.4GHz FASST r/c equipment should not be affected by other users.  All 27-40MHz transmitters with extendable aerials must have a plastic golf ball or similar fitted to prevent injury. Boats must be operated in a safe manor with public safety foremost.
Risk level – Low

9.   Steam Power.
All steam powered boats to be checked by a member of the organising committee before being operated. Steam powered boats to be powered up in full accordance with the accepted safety procedures and to have the appropriate certificates where required. 
Risk level – Low

10.   I/C Power.
All I/C boats are to be checked for safety by a member of the organising committee  before they are started. I/C powered boats are to be started up in full accordance with accepted safety procedures and be fitted with the appropriate silencers and anti-pollution devices. When operating on the lake, speed is to be restricted to 15mph and only be operated for 20 minute demonstrations.  All other boats are not be used on the water when I/C powered boats are demonstrating to prevent any collision. 
Risk level – Low

11.   Batteries.
Most members recharge their batteries at home, however, if batteries are being charged ’on site’ this is to be done in remote area well away from the public. Charging process to be monitored at all times by the battery owner. Greater care with Lipo or similar batteries which must only be charged with the proper type of charger. 
Risk level – Low

12.   Pyrotechnics use
Some models will use pyrotechnics in their display; the person running the display is a qualified pyrotechnic technician. Tannoy announcements will be used to warn people around the lake that this display is going to start. No other boats to be on the water during this display. To avoid distracting the model boat operator, all members of the public and other Mayhem visitors are to keep away from the operator while the display is going on
Risk Level - Low

13.   Tents & Gazebos. Etc.
All tents and Gazebo guide ropes to be highlighted to prevent a trip hazard. ALL tables and equipment to be placed far enough back from the lake side to allow enough room to the general public to pass by easily and safely. ALL Models placed on Tables to be placed so they can not fall off and injure. All table to be checked for soundness and suitability. Boats/equipment is not to be left in positions where they could become a trip hazard.
Risk level – Low

Draft by Martin Davis – Model Boat Mayhem
10th March 2014

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2014, 08:22:10 pm »

Sounds good Brian :-))  Fantastic work!
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2014, 02:03:51 pm »

Is there a list if confirmed trader's yet
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2014, 05:14:08 pm »

Is there a list if confirmed trader's yet
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:32 am »

html, west wales say they havent received an invite. heres the email address they supplied me
wwmb@hotmail.co.uk
[/size]cheers[/color]
[/size][/color]
full time penguin

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2014, 04:22:17 pm »

Pete

It would appear that I put .com instead of .co.uk onto the West Wales email address, all sorted now and I have had a reply from Ian saying he is coming

As for traders at the moment it is Deans Marine with a possible Component Shop, Mobile Marine is definitely not coming

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2014, 04:36:17 pm »

Anyone heard from /spoken to SteamboatPhil yet?

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2014, 07:42:24 pm »

It would appear Stav has spoken to Phil, but I have not heard from him

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2014, 04:48:14 pm »

I've had a few messages from the Victorian warship nutters like me, so far there are ten warships coming with another 5-10 possible from my contacts from the Warwick show.
I'm visiting Coalville I'll see if I can persuade some of the traders there if they want to go.
Nick B

html

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »

Here's a thought

As running this great forum has a cost attached to it, why not this year have a box for donations to Mayhem, as well as another if you want.

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »

Yes Hosting bill comes round quick enough
.... plus the psychiatric and medication fees!
    %%

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2014, 08:39:18 pm »

I think thats a good idea, like the tescos advert every little helps!

Went up to do some sailing on Sunday and what a change in the park. The pay booths have moved around the corner so the mayhem banner is in prime sight for everyone to see. The big lake is almost full and the reed beds near the boating lake are being planted soon. The campsite looks like it's being done up too can't see much through the construction fences but it looks like they are using all three fields for camping and caravaning. We've been told by one of the directors of the park that the entrance fee to the park might be reduced this year so we will find out at Easter what the new car park tickets are and the costs, but he said that they were not planning to increase the fee.
I'm going up to Coalville this Saturday so hopefully I'll see some of you there, Paul, my Dad, and Nigel Marriott will be driving up there with me.
Nick B

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.