Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering Service  (Read 3124 times)

steveo-73

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Soldering Service
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:01:45 am »

Hi Friends,

I am really new to Model Boating and I have bought myself a Proboat Miss Geico 29 Brushless Cat. I had originally a BlackJack but due to lack of experience and a bit of stupidity ended up trashing this into the jetty!!

So I have transfered all the running and electrical gear into my Miss Geico.

But my question is I would like to change the connectors from the Engine to the ESC to 5mm bullett connectors as the originals have melted under intense heat running 6s.....Is their or does anybody no of a soldering service near or around Peterborough UK

Any post most welcome...brilliant site!

Thanks
Steve

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Soldering Service
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:56:43 am »

Have you a local model shop that does repairs, or sometimes a local TV repair shop might do a bit of soldering for a beer token or two - or your local model club might have a few handy chaps....

Failing all of the easy local options,  I live in Grantham and have access to all the gear you'd need and the skills to help out..

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:29:20 am »

If you are in Peterborough give Ron Dean at Deans marine a call. Ron is a member of P/M/B/C.

Stan

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:49:51 am »

Hi Steve,

For the amount you'd pay someone to do it I'd just learn to solder.  A cheap-ish soldering iron will probably do what you need and you'd only need to buy the iron (usually with the stand and cleaning sponge), some solder and something to practise with.  I'd suggest getting some wire of approximately the same thickness as you're planning to solder and practise tinning the wire until you're good at it.  Just tin the wire (youtube will show you how), cut it off and go again.

Once you've got that soldering the connectors on will be easy.

Alternatively, if there's not a member locally and you fancy a trip to Cambridge, look up the Cambridge hackspace and pop in there.  I'm sure many people will be willing to help you get started.

Good luck :)

Stuart

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:29:39 pm »

I was merely offering my services as a fellow modeller - gratis, no charge and even a free cuppa!

Stuart is correct though, it's a skill that's not hard to learn and will stand you in good stead for the future.
If you are really stuck and you want to drive to Grantham, I'll teach you to solder as well....also free.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:34:54 pm »

Hi,
 Couple of things.
 1) Given that quite a few of the current lipos on sale for performance boats come with 5.5mm connectors ready fitted, this may be a better standard to fix on. Saves resoldering things in future.

2) At the sizes of wire and plugs you are looking at, a soldering gun rather than a small iron would make life easier as they do take quite a lot of heat to get a nice joint to run. I have an 80w Weller gun from donkeys years ago that still works well for me. I have standardized on 6mm gold connectors for my fast electrics, as well as the best quality silicon wire with as large a cross section as I can fit for any wiring I have to do

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 12:54:45 pm »

I'm in Peternoro', I'm sure we can work something out ..... for 2 cups of tea!  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steveo-73

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 02:45:11 pm »

Thanks guys for all your posts....really pleased I signed up and found this Forum!!

Nothing better than advice from you the experts out their.

Thank you Martin from Peterborough I will definately sub you a couple of alcoholic cup of Teas lol if we can get together and work it out. May have to be a week or so as my girlfriends about to give birth to our first child so I've had to put the boat receiver down for a bit and concentrate on the birth!! lol

Thanks so Much
Steve

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »

May have to be a week or so as my girlfriends about to give birth to our first child so I've had to put the boat receiver down for a bit and concentrate on the birth!!

Au contrare.  You will have to move quickly to make the boat ready to take the baby out.  Before long the baby will be too big to be carried by RC boat...

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:08:07 pm »

Best of luck with the forthcoming event -  a perfect excuse to buy more toys!

steveo-73

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 03:27:04 pm »

Thanks Grasshopper... I live in Stamford just down the road from Grantham so if things don't develop in the near future I know where you are and appreciate the offer and help

Best Regards
Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.