Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Hood  (Read 1331 times)

Hmshood

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Hood
« on: November 11, 2013, 12:16:50 pm »

Hi,

I am currently building  a scale model of HMS Hood from the Nexus plans service (designed by C Bingham) and have discovered that there are a number of differences between this plan, the description given in the Illustrated Biography by Bruce Taylor (illustrated by Thomas Schmid) and some photographs sent by a member from the model in the Glasgow museum. I am trying  to establish the timeline and various updates/modifications that were made to the Hood to be certain which one I should follow in respects of the detail. The changes seem to be concerned with the armament and some components of the forward infrastructure. Has anyone got details of the various changes and when they were made or any other details on the various modifications during the lifetime of the Hood so that I have enough detail to be accurate with my description of what I will end up with.

I would also appreciate any comments from builders of this model as to what experiences they have had.

Regards

Vic
 O0 
I love warships bring back the big guns

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: HMS Hood
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »

Hi Vic

I've just looked trough my copy of the Anatomy of the Ship of HMS Hood, and according to John Roberts it says:

Armament

Main: was originally to carry four twin 15inch Mk 1 mountings fitted in all British capital ships since the QE class but was redesigned after Jutland to meet demands of longer range. Hood was the only ship to carry the Mk 2 mountings differing from the Mk 1s as follows: elevation increased from 20degs to 30degs, 15ft rangefinders replaced with 30ft versions, and sighting hoods replaced with sighting ports (and a few other minor mods thats you won't be able to see).

Secondary: 12x 5.5inch BL Mk 1, two removed in 1938-39, all were removed in 1940
                  4x 4inch QF Mk V in single mountings- replaced by 4x twin 4inch QF MK XIX in 1939, increased to 7                                mountings in 1940.

Anti-aircraft: 2x 8 barrelled 2pdr pom-poms were added in 1931 increasing to 3 mountings in 1937.
                    2x 4 barrelled 0.5inch MG guns were added in 1933 but increased to 4 mountings in 1937.

Torpedo: 2x 21inch submerged torpedo tubes which were removed in 1937, and 2x 21inch above water tubes.

As for superstructure changes, there were so many minor changes you would need to read the books to match up with the plans, books that document Hood's service life include

Anatomy of the Ship HMS Hood by John Roberts
The Battlecruiser HMS Hood: An Illustrated Biography 1916-1941 by Bruce Taylor
British Battleships 1919-1945 by RA Burt
The Battlecruiser HMS Hood Super Drawings in 3D No 23 by Stefan Draminski

Profile Morskie Drawings are available of Hood, as are Trumpeter's or Tamiya scale models of her in 1/700 and 1/350 scale and in either 1931 refit or 1941 refit.

Hope this helps, it would take me hours to copy word for word what is written in the book, it is a very good book with all the plans for every refit Hood had so it would be of some help to you.
The books are all commercially available via amazon or other retailers, and I believe that the Anatomy of the ship book has been revised and comes available as a paperback too.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Hmshood

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 05:04:32 pm »

Nick,

Many thanks for the assistance
I will look up some of those references. By the way the penguins are also in Buckingham so they are spreading and multiplying
Rgds
Vic
 %%

I love warships bring back the big guns
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.