Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My turn...  (Read 6671 times)

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
My turn...
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:37:16 am »

Phase 1 complete...

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: My turn...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:53:19 pm »

Hi StuartL, my mate has just bought a Seaport in view of converting it
so your build should prove very interesting.

john

HawkEye

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 08:00:18 pm »

Go for it ! , they're a lot of fun   :-))
I've never been so sure of something I wasn't sure of...

DocPL

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 08:37:43 pm »

Go go go - you will have fun with it.
How did you disconnect the cardan ? Was it easy ?

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:50 pm »

How did you disconnect the cardan ? Was it easy ?

I've never heard it called a cardan before.  I removed the motor first (four screws and cut the wires) and the plastic dog bone separated with minimal persuasion.

I had more of a problem with the prop shaft itself.  There's minimal clearance around the prop and the Kort for removal and I can't convince my prop shaft to separate from the hex drive to the prop itself.  I unscrewed the prop retention screw and the rudder mechanism to allow the Kort to move more freely and wiggled the prop free from the shaft.  The forward end of the prop shaft is a knurled push fit into the drive cup and a screwdriver levered the drive cup off the prop shaft pretty easily.  Once the drive cup was removed the prop shaft came clear pretty easily.  The rest of the mechanics mostly came off with a screwdriver but the ballast tank required a Dremel.  I used a cutting disc to remove the bulk of it, a sanding wheel to bring it back to the hull and a polishing wheel to smooth the surface.  Impatience meant I overheated the polishing wheel, hence the discolouration around the ballast tank, but I'm not worried about it at all.  It's smooth enough to bond to and all the discolouration is internal.

I've done a lot more today and will post an update tomorrow with photos.

DocPL

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 10:44:17 am »

Thanks for quick answer. I used "cardan" thinking about coupling between engine and prop shaft (it looks cardan like). As far as I remember engine shaft is 2.3mm - correct ? How about prop shaft diameter ?

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:23:03 am »

Thanks for quick answer. I used "cardan" thinking about coupling between engine and prop shaft (it looks cardan like). As far as I remember engine shaft is 2.3mm - correct ? How about prop shaft diameter ?

Motor shaft is 2.26mm and shaft is 3.74mm.  Note that a 4mm prop shaft is tight and my replacement shaft (details in an update later) needed quite a lot of shaving to be loose enough to not overheat.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »

Doesn't "cardan" usually refer to 'double couplings?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 01:14:19 pm »

cardan joint/ˈkɑrdæn/  [kahr-dan]    noun  Machinery . a universal joint consisting of a crosslike piece, opposite ends of which rotate within the forked end of each of the two shafts connected.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 01:24:20 pm »

Ahhhhh!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:32:24 pm »

There's been a dearth of updates although there's been a lot of progress.  I've kept some of it quiet for now since there's still work to do.

For now a teaser, please forgive the colour of the photo.  It was taken on a phone camera in a badly lit living room.  Bonus points for identifying the part in the centre of the deck.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 05:38:10 pm »

If you mean the centre of the aft deck it's the
drain hole. Otherwise I can't see owt {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 05:42:06 pm »

How about the massive hole in the aft deck, just astern of the superstructure? :)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 05:57:09 pm »

Crew's swimming pool?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:58:50 pm »

Nah, it's for something else.  What I was getting as is where the plastic had come from.  Looking at the pic it's probably not obvious so I'll save that for later...

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 10:06:05 am »

All the mechanics are together, 1.2kg of rocks from the garden in as ballast, and it's time for the first 'sea' trial at Eastrop Park.

tugboat pete

• TUGBOAT PETE
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Im a tugger cos i pulled
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »

:-)) Nice job you have done on that seaport tug mate hope all goes well with the water test my jenny is running very well will be putting some deck fittings on and a new 3 amp battery for the spring so best regards TUGBOAT PETE YAAAARG

StuartL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 10:33:00 am »

Well, it's been a few weeks without updates here.  Unfortunately little has happened due to family issues but I can post the updates from the result of the sea trial...

Bath tub needed about 1200g of weight to get the water-line right but that was WAY too much for the boating lake.  About 650g worked out ok but I had a big stability issue with waves.  Some of the fellow boaters said about moving the weight up to the waterline, rather than at the bottom of the keel.  I'm not sure about the physics of this, it seems counter-intuitive, but it's easy enough to try later.

The winch worked well but the modified servo was too sensitive.  The slightest radio interference or nudge on the stick caused the winch to slowly pay out rope, requiring repeated stick movements to keep it in check.  I'll probably throw together a simple digital on-off speed controller or see if I can find a cheap speed controller online which has a wider dead-band.  I can wire this speed controller directly to the servo motor, bypassing the servo electronics.

The boat as pictured above is bare wooden boarding and this is how I ran it in the sea trial.  The boards expanded in the humid air and a couple of them popped off.  I always intended to varnish the deck so I dried the boat on a radiator and applied the varnish.  Unfortunately the absorption of the varnish has the same effect and I'm now in a quandry as to how to deal with it.  I may rip the deck off and start again, I may not.

I've also been working on the superstructure but because it's rebuilt from the original structure and some plant pots I've been unhappy with the finish.  I've been round many sand/fill cycles and still am not happy.

More updates to come later, for now it's on the window-sill in the conservatory awaiting some time :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.